Cattle in the corn

jflewis88

Alright, everyone - I know this is common sense for the VAST majority of us, but I gotta post cuz it's driving me nuts!

I am sick and tired of bypassing a WIA due the fact that there are animals in the corn, only to see somebody else jump in that corner and start hunting.

Stop and think about how it would make you feel if they were your cattle and some yahoo with a semi-auto 12g was 20 yards away from them.

It really should go without saying, but please don't jeopardize the future of this program with such silly behavior. Just because the sign says WIA doesn't mean we as hunters have the right to stomp in there like we own the joint. There are lots of WIA without cattle in the adjacent field, go hunt in one of those.

If there's a farmer in the field working, if there are animals in the field, if there's equipment nearby - go somewhere else!!

what?

ive hunted cattle in the corn field lots of times usually no birds around but i def know how to not shoot in the direction of a freakin cow!

The last time I went rabbt hunting in a field with cattle in it they followed me all over the place.They stayed about 50 ft. behind me and everywhere I went they tagged along to see what I was doing.So I checked the fence for any breaks in it for the farmer while I was there.

It really seems like people want to post negative stuff..... But anyways...most hunters are ethical but paying the price of idiots!! I'm tired of hearing about it!! I will not ever respond to another landowner, rancher, or a so called "observer" that classifies all of us non-land owners as the same! I respect the farmers and ranchers!! I respect their hard work and their dedication to their land and what they do with it! But to generalize all of US hunters is WRONG!!!

I for one know where I should hunt and when to do it! Most people here on this forum do! So stop with this negative crap between landowners, users of, and hunters! At least on this forum, please! I'm sick of it!!!

The field that I was in was a farmer that I worked for at that time.He said that if I killed the groundhogs as well as rabbits plus check the fence I could do it as long as I watched what I was doing and I did.

I called CDOW, they didn't seem that interested. Turns out it was PhilV with good intentions. I had no idea who it was, could have been the landowner for all I knew.

It really seems like people want to post negative stuff..... But anyways...most hunters are ethical but paying the price of idiots!! I'm tired of hearing about it!! I will not ever respond to another landowner, rancher, or a so called "observer" that classifies all of us non-land owners as the same! I respect the farmers and ranchers!! I respect their hard work and their dedication to their land and what they do with it! But to generalize all of US hunters is WRONG!!!

I for one know where I should hunt and when to do it! Most people here on this forum do! So stop with this negative crap between landowners, users of, and hunters! At least on this forum, please! I'm sick of it!!!

+1 :thumbsup:.

Guess I'm out of line...

It seems I'm in the minority and that for most of you, it's okay to hunt in WIA pivot corners when there's cattle nearby. Doesn't make sense to me, but do what you will.

Also seems I ruffled feathers by even bringing the subject up. Sorry if I hurt your puddin' feelings by trying to civilly discuss a subject that I KNOW rankles some landowners.

I think this forum is a good venue for landowners and hunters to work together to find how best to facilitate their relationship. I don't know about all you, but I've never had a long-term relationship that didn't have a wrinkle here and there. If not aired out, rancorous issues fester and get worse, leading to a ruptured relationship. This is what I'm hoping to avoid.

At the end of the day, all I wanted to do is alert anyone that didn't already know it that landowners and stockmen don't (IN MOST CASES) appreciate folks shooting around their animals.

Sorry I made you :( sad by doing so.

I

At the end of the day, all I wanted to do is alert anyone that didn't already know it that landowners and stockmen don't (IN MOST CASES) appreciate folks shooting around their animals.
I agree, I sure don't like people I don't know shooting around my stock. It is sad to say but in todays world hunters are thought of as morons with guns until proven otherwise. I might add that many of the post on forums about other hunters show why that has become the common feeling about us.

Probably the best practice would be to talk to the land owner before hunting near livestock. The walkin program is the best thing to come along in all states that have it, but it is a privilege and trust given that could be taken away.

Last edited:
Cattle

I think you did the right thing by bringing it up. I am not sure why anybody would want to hunt with cattle present. I was surprised at the people who said they do it on this board.

Thanks for the backup, EPM. I appreciate your view, as I know you are closer to the subject than most of us on this forum. :cheers:

Good point, but I think everyone is getting tired of reading these types of comments on the forum. We want to hear good stories and see cool hunting pics this time of year. Things that are positive. There will always be unethical hunters. No matter what you say and try to do the right thing and try to educate you just can't fix stupid. I hope they read this. But I think most members on this forum for the most part are really good guys.

Last edited:
I might add that many of the post on forums about other hunters show why that has become the common feeling about us.

All the more reason to not post stuff like this on the Forums.

I think you did the right thing by bringing it up. I am not sure why anybody would want to hunt with cattle present. I was surprised at the people who said they do it on this board.

I've got a handfull of Farmers that don't mind if i hunt in fields they have the cattle in. So I don't see why you wouldn't want to hunt in fields with Cattle in them. I'm not going to shoot a damn Cow.... i see no issue with it, unless that Farmer inparticular states he doesn't want you hunting with his Cattle in the same field.

I don't think putting your head in the sand helps. Non hunters don't spend a lot of time on hunting forums. If the problem is not fixed you and I will loose what privileges we have.

The only reason these programs exist is because of hard working people who work on making hunting and hunters more responsible.

Sorry if you don't like to hear about the things that can make us loose our privileges but it is a part of hunting that needs to be discussed. If it educates one person it is worth the time to discuss.
There are many people hunting today that are well intentioned but just don't know any better.

So what is posting on here doing about it? Do you stop and say anything to the people you actually see doing it?

We need a bitch, groan, gripe, complain, whine, and cry section on this forum.

Back