carrying more than 10 shells while hunting

David0311

the law states that you can not hunt ducks etc. with anything but non toxic shot and ya can't have the other stuff in your possession while doing so. you can have it stored someplace other than the immediate area of where you are taking game, like out of the blind, car, boat, or any other place. so here is the deal. the hunter has both type of shot on his person, legal. he see's a duck, disposes of his lead shot, shoots the duck, goes back to his disposed shot and to his hunting pheasants and in that he is not actively involved in the taking of waterfowl, no crime has been committed. try and get a law enforcement officer to understand that. would be interested in your take however

cheers
Thought you had some secret knowledge ..from your previous post..what you stated here is pretty much common knowledge..that even I with 28 years as a warden can understand..guess my only question would be your definition of...dispose...

I have two Columbia vests both with the "speedloader" sleeves. Love them, never lose shells again. I used to carry shells in the loops or loose in the pockets of cheap vests and the next thing you knew you had lost half of your shells. Not hard to pay for a good vest if you stop losing shells.
The original Columbia vest would hold a box of shells easy in 6 "tubes" on the front (Grouse I- I think). In really cold weather they can be tough to operate. Especially for chukar hunting I never leave the truck with less than a box of shells. You don't want to climb 3000' and be 3 miles from the truck and run out of shells! :eek:

the law states that you can not hunt ducks etc. with anything but non toxic shot and ya can't have the other stuff in your possession while doing so. you can have it stored someplace other than the immediate area of where you are taking game, like out of the blind, car, boat, or any other place. so here is the deal. the hunter has both type of shot on his person, legal. he see's a duck, disposes of his lead shot, shoots the duck, goes back to his disposed shot and to his hunting pheasants and in that he is not actively involved in the taking of waterfowl, no crime has been committed. try and get a law enforcement officer to understand that. would be interested in your take however

cheers

I wouldn't want to be caught walking back to the truck with a dead duck and lead shot in my possession. Even if it might be "technically" legal to dump your vest in the field and go jump a pond with only nontoxic shot, I can imagine what a game warden would say if he met you at your truck.

I haven't met a duck that was worth an arguement over the fine details of what "in possession of lead shot" technically means.
:cheers:

David0311, I appreciate the service that wardens provide to honest sportsmen. That's why I avoid "gray areas" and try to make your job easy.

Last edited:
I use two vests, a jacket for pheasant and carry a vest with non-toxic in the truck for ducks or non-toxic areas. I also use the loops in the pockets. I fill them at the beginning of the year and throw 6 in each pocket for balance. Normally one side has 7 shot for quail. When I was a kid I felt I had to have a box of shells with me, now that I have aged a bit, I have no problem hunting back to the truck to unload birds and/or restock my vest.

Years ago I bought a shell-belt and cut it up. I sewed the pieces to the outside of the pockets of the vest that I had. Turned out terrible, when loaded up, the pocket formed a big bulge and shells would eventually fall out. It may have helped to stretch the holder as I sewed it in.

8 more months!!

Carry loose. But I need to carry more shells than most of these guys :eek:

Yeah if your waterfowl hunting bottom line, leave your lead in the car or truck. If you have one in your pocket, you will get a ticket period. You can not hunt waterfowl with lead or have it in your possession. Also on federal land you need non tox, and on mosts states lands. I hunt very few publics just because of that law. But for ducks it does not matter, public, or private, if you even get caught shooting at ducks with lead in your pocket, you will get a fine. Just don't do it. Hunt one or the other, or both with non tox. Duck hunting I would carry a whole case with a varity, pheasants as said just a pocket full.

Last edited:
I use the 2 vest/jacket system, works great. That's about what I carry, 10 shells lead #4 or 5's. When just after roosters. Couple times I got down to a shell or two, don't think I've gone back to the truck without ammo? Not saying I always walk out with a limit.:eek:

I do a lot of mixed waterfowl and pheasants. Then I carry more then 10, probably 15 or so non toxic. This is also the case on non toxic only areas upland hunting.
Never have thought of carrying lead and Non toxic in the same vest.:confused:

Shell Belt

This one is an easy fix. Get one of the shell belts that waterfowl hunters use. They are closed bottom so the shells won't fall out and will hold 25 rounds. I use one all the time with about 15 rounds in it and my vest loops full. I can reload the vest from the belt as needed.

Lock and Load! :D

lead shot

fcs. read back a couple of post. i spelled out the law and things you can and can't do by carrying both in the field at once. apparently we have a warden with us and he concurred. basically the law says you have to be in the process of taking waterfowl but you can have both while in transit which means walking, boat, or car. if in a blind, the lead has to be outside it. quite often i will go to my duck blind and i carry both type of shells. while at the blind i leave the lead about 20 ft. away. when duck hunting i then go chase snipe which in colorado i can use lead. at that point i am legal having ducks in my bag and lead in my gun as i am not actually hunting waterfowl, i had hunted waterfowl but now i am legal to carry whatever i want. it would be no different than if you had some pheasants in your car along with some ducks

cheers

Carry loose. But I need to carry more shells than most of these guys :eek:

Ditto. I can easily underestimate the number of shells I need on a particular field, especially if we hit quail.

Way too many interpretations for one to get into trouble. Readily accessible being one. Near a hunter being the other. Ask 6 DOWM and get 3 different answers.

nontoxic shot regulAtions 1. It is illegal to use or have
toxic (lead) shot, either in shotshells or as loose shot for muzzleloading, while taking or attempt- ing to take ducks, geese or coots in Colorado. This includes national wildlife refuges open to hunt-
ing. Toxic shot, either in shotshells or as loose shot for muzzleloading, cannot be in a hunter’s gun, on his/her person or near a hunter taking or attempt- ing to take waterfowl. Store lead shot in your vehicle. You can store lead shot elsewhere if it’s not readily accessible while hunting waterfowl.

Very standard practice here in Nova Scotia to carry steel while pheasant hunting to be able to switch up to try to jumpshoot a few ducks. Admittedly, it may fall somewhere in that gray area because we too are not supposed to "use or possess lead shot while waterfowl hunting", but as was pointed out above, there are many interpretations of what "while waterfowl hunting" means. I generally trust wardens and other law enforcement professionals to enforce the law with common sense, so when they meet me coming back to my car dressed in blaze orange with a duck in my best with a spent steel hull pushed onto its bill (as is my practice) I trust that they will know what the story was. I suppose that someday I might run across someone who chooses not to give me the benefit of doubt, but until then...
Cheers,
-Croc

I usually carry a half a box of #6 with me loose in my vest pocket. I will put some #7 1/2 in the straps if we get into quail. Since I put some of my 6's in one pocket and some in the other, this keeps them separated enough for me.

David0311

fcs. read back a couple of post. i spelled out the law and things you can and can't do by carrying both in the field at once. apparently we have a warden with us and he concurred. basically the law says you have to be in the process of taking waterfowl but you can have both while in transit which means walking, boat, or car. if in a blind, the lead has to be outside it. quite often i will go to my duck blind and i carry both type of shells. while at the blind i leave the lead about 20 ft. away. when duck hunting i then go chase snipe which in colorado i can use lead. at that point i am legal having ducks in my bag and lead in my gun as i am not actually hunting waterfowl, i had hunted waterfowl but now i am legal to carry whatever i want. it would be no different than if you had some pheasants in your car along with some ducks

cheers[/QUOTE I did not agree or concur with anything you had prveviously posted..do not use me to add credability to your interpetation of the law..you were not as near specicic previous post as this one...note I ended my previous post questioning you definition of the word dipose ....do not try and.use any of my posts to justify your postitons now or in the future ...I thought you might pick up on the sarcasm in my previous post..

Let me know if anybody has ever figured out a good way to hold more shells, instead of loose in the pockets.

Seems to be a pretty simple question presented by the OP. Lets stick to the original request of the OP and stop bantering about the law and how it relates to crossover waterfowl/upland hunting. Good posts lose their validity when we get into a "who's smarter than who" contest. That's not what true sportsman or this site is about. I'm not calling anybody out, but if you think I am, PM me and we can discuss it.

I use the shell carrier from my waders while bird hunting. They have clips that attach to many types of hooks or swivels. My hooks are located inside the game bag. If your jacket doesn't include these you could easily sew 2 clips into the gamebag and hang a shell carrier inside. This also will keep the bag out of the way while swinging on a bird. It works for me at least. Best of Luck!!!

bigblue

I had my mother in law sew me couple of bags out of cloth with loose tie string around the top, each one will hold about 12 shells in each, i have a strap vest with big front pockets, put one or two bags in each pocket diff shot in each bag, i shoot a sxs almost 90% of the time so it makes it easy for me to pick between 5,6 or 71/2 shot while walking. Sounds stupid but after I tried it after reading about an old guy that did this duck hunting before shell boxes it works pretty well. At the end of the day you can throw the bags in your shell box and put away later... that way you can get to the cooler before the guys putting them back in the box out of there pocket..:cheers:

I usually have some in my vest pocket then put a few extra in my pant pocket

Back