Carlson Midrange choke

Jordan54

Hey everyone,

I am getting ready to do some pheasant hunting this weekend. I needed to buy a new choke for my Mossberg 935 and the only one I could find was the Carlson black cloud midrange. Has anyone used one for pheasant hunting? I'll be on public land and will need to use steel shot. I was planning on using some black cloud #4 shot with the choke. Just would like everyone's thoughts.

Thanks

Winchester dryloks or kent silver steel in number 3s run through your factory chokes will probably work out as well for you. Maybe better.

No experience with the Black cloud choke tube but it should be fine, although so would the factory IC or Mod. I would guess. I would probably try the factory IC or Mod to start and if you not convinced they will work then worry about aftermarket chokes.

I agree that #3 shot would be better as it has similar down range ballistics as #5 lead.

Last edited:
I have purchased a Carlson extended IC choke for my Benelli SBII. I also went with the Black Cloud #3's because I hunt mostly public land so it is just easier to always shoot steel. It has been a great combination so far. I haven't had any bird that were not dead when they hit the ground. I also spent some time patterning and this seemed to be the best combination for my gun.

I've been using a Carlson ic in my 12 gauge, I've been shooting some steel bb's, as well as lead bb's, and 2s.I really like it.Puts out a great pattern out to 50 yards.

Back