CamelBak vest

Roosters

Just bought a Camelbak Strap vest at Cabelas (on sale $45).
Anxious to use it. Has good number of pockets and hydration bladder.
Have always owned hunting coats (columbia and LL Bean) before.
Will put to use Thanksgiving morning and report back.

Does anyone else have this strap vest?

I've got the vest and have been using it for about 4 season. I like how it distributes the weight much better than a jacket. carrying a couple pheasants several miles can get heavy! I like the pockets, shell loops, and how adjustable it is. I wish that it had a dog e-collar remote pocket. i tie mine off, and let it dangle in my left pocket (i leave the pocket unzipped, as I am right handed). the bladder holds as much water as i need for my 2 labs and myself (they know how to drink out of the tube). I live in SD, and if I leave my vest in the garage, where it belongs according to my wife, in the winter the bladder will freeze solid and i have a gian cold pack against my back somedays. I know I could pull the bladder out, but maybe I am just lazy.I also find it hard to load a pheasant in it without taking it off, or handing my gun to someone, or setting it on the ground where the dogs step all over it. overall, i like it, but i really want to try out the wing works vest.

Used the Camelbak Strap Vest for the first time yesterday.
Really like the way that it transferred the weight. Pockets provide plenty of storage for shells, gloves, camera, etc.
The hydration pack is nice. Still need to carry a water bottle for the dog though. After being a "hunting jacket" guy (columbia and Dunn's) I like the flexibility of being able to tailor the type of jacket you need to the weather and then throwing the strap vest on over. I started the day yesterday with a insulated vest and jacket....ended the day with the strap vest on over my shooting shirt. (warmed from the teens to over 45 deg.).

I give the Camelbak Vest 5 stars!! :cheers:

I tried the Camelbak but don't like it. The hydration bladder is okay but I like to carry bottles for the dogs. I also don't like the way it fits so tightly. I think it's very hard to get birds into the compartment.
I did like the big pockets and the shell loops but I still end up going back to the Mother vest. I also missed a way to carry a lunch or light coat, the pocket on the back is very small.

Back