Buying shells online - before next fall

jackrabbit

Anybody bought shells online before? This season I used up old shells but am almost out, and never see any stock in stores around here. I'd like to buy a case full online and I don't really care when they arrive as long as it's before October. However, I really can't find anywhere that lets me pre-order? Most are just keep checking to see when in-stock or get notified when in stock. It looks like from Boss you can pre-order, and while they are great shells, I'd rather try and find something that is in the $20/box range rather than $35+ range. Looks like most places have free shipping when buying over $50 or $100.

I have stocked up on trap shells for the summer online in the last month. This gets me thinking about next October already. Might have to see if online will be an option for hunting shells.

I buy almost all my shells online. I have no place to shop nearby, so this is my best option. But, I shoot 16 gauge, and finding shells online can be tough. Just got 200 bismuth from Boss, so that, along with what I already have, takes care of my non-tox needs for quite some time.

I buy whenever I can.

I was in this situation at the end of last season. I started searching as soon as the season ended, both online and in person. Finally, in August I found some in person an hour away. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it was my second choice so I bought a couple boxes (they had a limit of 2 per person at the time).

I found exactly what I was looking for online a couple weeks ago and ordered 4 boxes. PM me if you are interested. I would rather not publicly indicate on a thread where I got them to avoid having the hyenas all arrive at the same time. I will say that the price has gone up significantly though.

I have bought all my steel (usually 1 case a year at Rogers) online and have never had a problem. The last case of lead was purchased from cabelas. In the past the reason I purchased online was because I could find a bargain. Not so much these days..... You have 7 months if you pay a premium get what you want.

Last edited:
I buy almost all my shells online. I have no place to shop nearby, so this is my best option. But, I shoot 16 gauge, and finding shells online can be tough. Just got 200 bismuth from Boss, so that, along with what I already have, takes care of my non-tox needs for quite some time.

I buy whenever I can.
I'm looking at BOSS for their 16ga, #4s. I also see they offer a #3/5. What size are you ordering? Any experience with the 3/5s?

I'm looking at BOSS for their 16ga, #4s. I also see they offer a #3/5. What size are you ordering? Any experience with the 3/5s?
I've only shot their #5. I really like them. I haven't used those 3/5...doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but it's probably a good marketing ploy.

Sign up to get notified when they're back in stock. That's what I did. But, you better be ready to buy when they're available, because they don't last long.

Apparently I'm looking for the wrong shells. I've set up an alert at Rogers for a year and a half and haven't heard a peep. Its always out of stock.

Apparently I'm looking for the wrong shells. I've set up an alert at Rogers for a year and a half and haven't heard a peep. Its always out of stock.
I shoot 12 gauge, 3", steel, #2, manufactured by Federal, either Black Cloud or Speed Shok. I would guess this to be one of the most popular loads out there. Probably why I have better luck with them being available.

Last edited:
What are you looking for? Bought a case of golden pheasant the end of the summer. Haven't seen them since and everything seems to cost about twice what it did.

Rogers has about 3 loads I would consider, Winchester super pheasant, Fiocchi HV, Kent Ultimate Fastlead Upland. Only one I've used is the Fiocchi HV in #5&6. I was getting it for 8.95 this is 21.00. That was fed. hi-bird I was getting at 8.95, Which is the same load as the Fiocchi HV.

Last edited:
I would think, you will have your best selection, early to mid summer. Right now companies like Federal, Winchester and Remington, are cranking out all the target loads that they can. Hevishot doesn't make target loads so I would expect them to have an earlier availability.

No way to know for sure but I would expect hunting loads will be able to be found before next years season. I buy almost all my shells online.

I'm still seeing #4 and #6 Remington lead Express 2 3/4" at Wal Mart for between $14 and $18 per 25, in both 12 and 16 gauge. They're killers if you do your part. Bought a box of 16 gauge #6 Prairie Storm last Fall but they cost about $32. So expensive I've not shot them yet.

I also used Rogers with good success for several years. I have purchased from others because of finding deals. I wouldn't be afraid of shopping on line if that is your concern. I shoot Heavy Metal. I would suggest shop the net and hopefully find what you are looking for SOMEWHERE as supplies are limited and prices up 50 -60%. Heavy Metal is made in a Western state and I have found the supply "nearer" to the factory is a bit more available. Perhaps other brands may be as well.
Good luck.

No way to know for sure but I would expect hunting loads will be able to be found before next years season. I buy almost all my shells online.
That would be my expectation too. That was my expectation after last season ended too. Simply didn't materialize with the type of ammo I was looking for until a couple weeks ago.

I've honestly never had trouble finding the ammo I prefer since I've been pheasant hunting (23 years) until the past 2 seasons. I normally buy my ammo in the fall when I buy my hunting licenses.

Back