Burning the CRP

Bob Peters

I had an invitation to come and help do a controlled burn on some crp last weekend in southern MN, but with all the rain, the decision was made to hold off as the grass was too wet. I'm sure there's certain set dates in which the burn must occur so as not to interfere with nesting and broods. The next time I talk with owner I'll ask about it. There were a good number of pheasants on this property last year, as well as all other forms of wildlife, but not too many deer. There's an interesting backstory on the land. It was marginal land and under some government program (not sure if MN DNR or a federal farm agency), the government agents came out and blew holes in the ground with dynamite to create wetland habitat(this was 45 years ago give or take). Now there is a slough surrounded by crp grass. Good spots for ducks or pheasants.

Yes Bob, the government does need you to do your contract management practices in a window prior to the the nesting season. I think in Iowa, you have until the middle of May. Interesting comment about blasting potholes for ducks. Anyone have some dynamite I can borrow?

Burning (or most other nesting cover disturbances) can't be done between May 15 and August 1st on most CRP so you would have until May 14th to complete it this spring

Smallmunster, what state are you referring to? If you're referring to Minnesota, it's strange that burning would be allowed until May 15, but running dogs on WMA is restricted after April 15. That is, as far as nesting is concerned.

Yes Bob, the government does need you to do your contract management practices in a window prior to the the nesting season. I think in Iowa, you have until the middle of May. Interesting comment about blasting potholes for ducks. Anyone have some dynamite I can borrow?
Did the explosive thing many times—
Nitrate fertilizer and diesel fuel were the main source of the explosive—but a initiator such as dynamite or Kini-pack were needed to detonate the main explosive.
‘What a person wanted was a high nitrate fertilizer-(non--riled)-at one time dealers could even order special fertilizer and bagging for this purpose!
This mixture was what those two-azz holes used in Oklahoma

I talked to my county department about this and they recommended by "early may" as consistent with DNR regs - no set date was shared and it is word of mouth. This was the guy that pulled burning permits so I took his word on timing. Fire is valuable tool for the prairie and the county was more than supportive that I wanted to do it this spring. I was going to do it this week but after a week of rain/sleet today we might go next week.

It is often said that later-burning helps "set-back" the brome grass...I haven't really noticed the brome being phased much with burning.

I would enjoy seeing that nitrate backhoe working....so what was the typical hole left....the size of my living room? Bigger/smaller? Guessing if you use enough, my house could fit in the hole!

I am in Iowa. The primary nesting season is currently considered May 15th through August 1st on the fact sheets I have seen, but I have not seen one for Minnesota. I suppose it may vary by state, but I think the upper midwest is all the same.

Attachments

• nrcs142p2_007919.pdf
    246.2 KB · Views: 6
  • nrcs142p2_024045.pdf
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
We had buffalo on this wildlife area when I took it over. They stood in water most of the year, which made them somewhat unhealthy due to parasites. I got them moved off in '97. There is a spring seep right through the middle of the 70 acres they were on. I was told that Winchester arms cam in back in the 40's and blasted that ditch with a timed series of explosives. Byron said it looked like an invisible plow was opening it up. The spoils rolled back on both sides and left the canal.

Back