Buffers and reserves in MN

Hey MN Farmer

Its a good discussion, I think its linked to the whole debate. I know that many that want to stay farming feel that bigger is the only way to go for them, farming, I guess to scale, with shift workers. Just like dairy is becoming, as well as hog barns etc etc.

Its a broken system and has been for a long time. Too few corporations controlling too much, and obviously having their way for too long. Its product placement, control from start to finish, and all the influence they need with the Feds. They could give a darn about repercussions. Or, as it turns out, the environment. Remember those Monsanto ads saying farmers are the original stewards of the land, the one saying to thank our farmers, etc etc? Or our own MN Corn Growers Assn? I wish they would actually do something, rather than distract from the facts of what they are doing.

In your opinion, and I have no idea what part of the state you farm in, what is the percentage of farmers who try and do the right thing for the land and water?

Dan

Dan, are you adressing me ? If so, I farm just south of your border, in the Iowa Great Lakes area.

Here is an interesting use of filter strips:

filter strips

Note they are placed in the lowest part of the landscape. I am a great supporter of useing filter strips, but in my opinion it is wasteful to place them where they do little good.

I understand from a wildlife standpoint, most anywhere is good, but if we want better water quality, some areas are better than others. A shotgun (sorry, couldn't resist) approach to their placement isn't very effective.

This conversation has gotten me to examine the drainage areas I drive by in my area. Some dug ditches have at some point had their spoil banks leveled, and farming is right up to the bank. A filter strip there would be appropriate. Other areas have five feet or more of bank elevation.

I have one neighbor that saw his ditch bank as a good source of fill dirt. He regretted that during one flood episode. Those engineers back then must have had some idea of what was needed.

Well it looks like a very watered down version passed, but does not yet have funding. Nothing like waiting to the last minute to get a job done, and then have to hold a special session anyway.

Politicians are idiots.

I also saw they axed the citizens board on pollution. Been around since 1967. Boy, does money ever talk.

Back