Buffers and reserves in MN

0fer2

Was reading my Outdoor News yesterday. Interesting article on the Govs pending legislation on the issue. I just checked to see if the article was posted on Outdoor News website, did not see it.

Doug Peterson, president of the MN Farm Bureau, spoke of any new legislation being modified heavily as it courses through the legislature. He WAS a legislator before, I believe a state senator from Madison MN. So he obviously knows the drill.

A few things he said that I find disturbing: They do not want the DNR enforcing the laws, citing mistrust. Well that may be, but I do not trust the farmers and agribusiness either. We wouldn't be having this discussion if they acted accordingly.

He also said they are a lot of variations due to the "sizes" of wetlands, waterways. This is true, but lets make it clear that no one should be paid, if in fact, they weren't following the practice already on the books.

The farm and agribusiness isn't going to take any changes at all, they are well represented and have a lot of money and savvy. Its up to us to keep the pressure on and get involved, if we want to make a positive change for all, which also means the farmers and ranchers.

Dan

It could be a good time to push this through. I think right now, a lot of farmers and farm organizations are trying to digest the implications. However, given that the highest paying CRP right now is around water, I'd think a smart farmer would just comply and enroll in CRP (my dad enrolled all our water adjoining acreage several years ago, resulting in more than 50ft buffer.). I believe acreage around water is getting around $250 an acre. That's competitive with rent, now that it's coming down due to grain prices. If the state throws in something too, that's gravy for the farmers. Overall, low grain prices should help with making CRP appealing again.

Big ag will fight it though. They don't want to see land taken out of production they could be selling seed, fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, etc. for.

This thing has nothing to do with water quality. Its all about hunting. Most of the ditches in MN are banked up to slope away from the ditch. Water DOES NOT enter the ditches over the banks. A buffer strip would do absolutely nothing for water quality in this case. Check the water before and after Minneapolis and then you will find where water pollution comes from.

Also, the state is not allowing CRP signup. And $250/acre is low rent. If people think farmers are just going to do this and let everyone hunt, you are mistaken. We paid for this land, we maintain it, we DO care about water quality and the land. If this gets pushed any of my buffers will be alfalfa and NOT hunted. As will many many others. If you care so much about the pheasant population, QUIT SHOOTING THEM!!!

This thing has nothing to do with water quality. Its all about hunting. Most of the ditches in MN are banked up to slope away from the ditch. Water DOES NOT enter the ditches over the banks. A buffer strip would do absolutely nothing for water quality in this case. Check the water before and after Minneapolis and then you will find where water pollution comes from.

Also, the state is not allowing CRP signup. And $250/acre is low rent. If people think farmers are just going to do this and let everyone hunt, you are mistaken. We paid for this land, we maintain it, we DO care about water quality and the land. If this gets pushed any of my buffers will be alfalfa and NOT hunted. As will many many others. If you care so much about the pheasant population, QUIT SHOOTING THEM!!!

$250 is very much in the mix of competitive rent. We're talking continuous sign-up, not general. Continuous sign-up targets EXACTLY the type of land where buffer strips would be required.

http://murray-countymn.com/mc/pdfs/FarmRentalRates.pdf

Regarding ditches, water will always find the lowest point. In the 43 years I've been alive, the ditch running through our property was just dredged by the county and the bank widened, with no slope away. The fact is, very little maintenance is done on ditches and, when it is, water quality is not a factor. The flow of water is the only concern.

Regarding water pollution, the Minnesota River is the most polluted river in Minnesota. Last time I looked at a map, it ends by joining the Mississippi in the metro. The pollution comes from the farmland it runs through prior.

http://www.mncenter.org/issues/water/special-water-bodies/minnesota-river.aspx

What you're able to plant as a buffer remains to be seen. Whether you let anyone hunt on it, I, and probably everyone else, could care less.

Killing roosters has no impact on the sustainability and long term population of pheasants. Habitat is the main factor. This has been proved time and again.

I bought my house and property too, doesn't mean I can do whatever I want with it. I have to comply with laws governing its use. Farmers have gotten away with not doing that for years. Well, now the pheasants have hopefully come home to roost.

It's obvious you're just angry and don't know WTF you're talking about. See what you've done? Now I'm angry...and I was having such a good day.

Last edited:
That is one county and $300 is more like it here. Besides that, I have land in CRP. the payment is $180. Even at $300, the farmer would still be out money due to not having a crop there. You cant buy land and have it cash flow on rent.

You are in a different area. I can drive 10 miles every direction from here and not find one ditch that doesn't slope away from the banks. It all enters through tile. The buffer strip will do absolutely 100% nothing! That is why you cant have a one size fits all solution. This is and always has been about hunting.

So are you telling me there are no towns along the Minnesota river at all? And no towns that dump into rivers that flow to the Minnesota? That's right, its all farmers, always blame the farmers. Dumping all that fertilizer and chemical. I got news for you, that is EXPENSIVE and is used sparingly. Besides that, if we didn't use it there would not be enough food to feed you.

Too many people have absolutely no idea how farming works anymore. They all assume we have no regard for land or water and have no idea how anything works. Its BS. We care for the land and water more than anyone in the state. But maybe one or 2 bad apples create the assumption that everyone is bad.

How about lake properties? No more fertilizer or chemical on the lawns with this bill right? Sure should be! City lawns, no fertilizer or chemical within 50' of curbs right? Sure as heck should be! Runoff from that goes right down the street, into the drain, and to the water.

It clearly states in the law that buffers can be hayed or grazed. Hay is a cash crop so if land cant be in row crop, what will most people do?

Its not a matter of weather I let anyone hunt, many many farmers wont allow hunting on the buffers. Hunters pushing this law may very well make them decide to push hunters off other land.

You are right im angry! This is just more government overreach. What if PETA got a law passed that you could no longer hut your own ground? You would be fine with that I guess because you have to comply with laws.

As I said, this is purely about hunting and they are using water quality as a means to try to get the bill passed. If you want more pheasant habitat, go buy some ground ans put it into CRP.

Last edited by a moderator:
busterdog: "That is one county and $300 is more like it here."

$300 an acre for rent now? Even when corn was around $8 that was really good rent. The best I heard of, when the sky was the limit was $325 (and smart operators were calling that crazy). Paying that now, or expecting it, with the corn price where it is, isn't realistic. It is a recipe for going belly up.

busterdog: "Besides that, I have land in CRP. the payment is $180."

You offer up a payment number but don't provide any details. We both know that CRP payments depend on several factors. When was your sign-up? What was your soil type rated? What's the proximity to water? Etc.
We have land in CRP as well, making more. Land deemed watershed is premium.

busterdog: "Even at $300, the farmer would still be out money due to not having a crop there. You cant buy land and have it cash flow on rent."

I don't know anyone personally who bought land within the last few years. The only land I know of being purchased was by either corporate operations or investors. If you paid recent land prices and borrowed for it, nothing can help you now. Just pray for the price to come back.

busterdog: "You are in a different area. I can drive 10 miles every direction from here and not find one ditch that doesn't slope away from the banks.
The buffer strip will do absolutely 100% nothing! That is why you cant have a one size fits all solution. This is and always has been about hunting."

This is a pointless argument. For every one you can show me to make your point, I can show you one to make mine. Fighting the one size fits all solution is just an attempt to marginalize the effort. Regarding whether this is about hunting, maybe it started that way. However, hunters have always led the way in conservation. It started with Teddy Roosevelt on a federal level here in the U.S. and I'm proud to continue to support it.

busterdog: "It all enters through tile. They all assume we have no regard for land or water and have no idea how anything works. Its BS. We care for the land and water more than anyone in the state. But maybe one or 2 bad apples create the assumption that everyone is bad."

I don't agree that it all enters through tile but do agree that tile is a contributor. You say that farmers care about the land and water quality.
How much pattern tiling is being done in your area?

busterdog: "So are you telling me there are no towns along the Minnesota river at all? And no towns that dump into rivers that flow to the Minnesota? That's right, its all farmers, always blame the farmers. Dumping all that fertilizer and chemical. I got news for you, that is EXSPENSIVE and is used sparingly."

You don't have to tell me it's expensive, I know. I don't think farmers waste any fertilizer or chemicals. I don't think they concern themselves about using it either though. I can take you to several places where there's been corn on corn running on 4 years +.

busterdog: "Besides that, if we didn't use it there would not be enough food to feed you."

This is a silly statement. There is no industry more protected than agriculture in the United States. Farmers are able to feed you because
the general public props up the industry. Corn without subsudies doesn't make it. Please don't claim farmers are just patriots toiling away for the greater good. It belittles their real business acumen.

busterdog: "Too many people have absolutely no idea how farming works anymore."

I agree with this, too few do and it means they'll buy into any BS squaking from big ag. (and some farmers) because they don't know any better. I'd like to educate them on crop insurance, particularly price guarantees. Also, how the market works in general. What!!!! The market is going down!!!!!! Close the market!!!! Wish I had the same protections in my investments.

busterdog: "How about lake properties? No more fertilizer or chemical on the lawns with this bill right? Sure as hell should be! City lawns, no fertilizer or chemical within 50' of curbs right? Sure as hell should be!
Runoff from that goes right down the street, into the drain, and to the water."

Agree 100%. We have a cabin in Brainerd. Most lake home/cabin owners make me sick. For instance, take Gull Lake. Most of the properties around it look like a golf course. Old cabins are being torn down and mansions built from property line to property line with no set back from the lake because they left one bare stud wall up of the old place and called it a remodel. I'll support any law that puts an end to it.

busterdog: "It clearly states in the law that buffers can be hayed or grazed. Hay is a cash crop so if land cant be in row crop, what will most people do?"

Just about anything can be grazed or hayed. Just take a look at the WPA land around Windom. Some lucky farmer is getting a deal grazing on Federal land. Nice new fences at tax payer expense too.

busterdog: "Its not a matter of weather I let anyone hunt, many many farmers wont allow hunting on the buffers. Hunters pushing this law may very well make them decide to push hunters off other land."

I hunt all public land, with the exception of my family's CRP. I can't stand the idea of being beholden to anyone. Be as spiteful as you want, no skin off my nose. As I said, I'm beholden to the greater good with my property. I can't do whatever I want with it and neither should farmers with theirs.

busterdog: "You are right im angry! This is just more government overreach. What if PETA got a law passed that you could no longer hut your own ground? You would be fine with that I guess because you have to comply with laws."

I support buffer strips because it's the right thing to do. And because doing so will help take the wind out of groups like PETA's sails. If we self regulate and do the right thing, they've got no leg to stand on.

busterdog: "As I said, this is purely about hunting and they are using water quality as a means to try to get the bill passed. If you want more pheasant habitat, go buy some ground ant put it into CRP."

My family did just that and I'm very proud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...very interesting, informative debate and dialog. Let's hear from other farmers et al. Thanks!

Buffers and reserves in MN Reply to Thread

This is an interesting topic. Thanks to everyone posting it is educational to be able to see both sides of the issue. Water quality is an issue that effects everyone so I can understand the passion on both sides. I too would like to hear from some other farmers.

Somebody worried about water quality should look at those verticle tile intakes.

Those are direct injectors of fertilizers, pesticides and silt to waterways. Buffer strips make good press, seem logical, but many times would be a waste of crop land.

Somebody worried about water quality should look at those verticle tile intakes.

Those are direct injectors of fertilizers, pesticides and silt to waterways. Buffer strips make good press, seem logical, but many times would be a waste of crop land.

Mc, I know this is a hypothetical but from a farmers perspective--- let's say everyone/ farmers got on the same page (nearly impossible I know) and a nationwide agreement was met that all water ways and ditches would have a buffer. Would something like this boost grain prices to a point were farmers would make more money farming less land due to the amount of land coming out of production? Less grain produced along with a healthy demand would push gain prices up yes? Nick

Mc, I know this is a hypothetical but from a farmers perspective--- let's say everyone/ farmers got on the same page (nearly impossible I know) and a nationwide agreement was met that all water ways and ditches would have a buffer. Would something like this boost grain prices to a point were farmers would make more money farming less land due to the amount of land coming out of production? Less grain produced along with a healthy demand would push gain prices up yes? Nick

Probably not, those areas aren't the most productive spots as a general rule.

The farmers without ditches would benifit without any associated loss, the ones with ditches most likely wouldn't see enough of a gain to offset the loss.

Those areas should be in CRP if pencils were put to them. Some folks just have a philosophic aversion to governmental intervention.

Probably not, those areas aren't the most productive spots as a general rule.

The farmers without ditches would benifit without any associated loss, the ones with ditches most likely wouldn't see enough of a gain to offset the loss.

Those areas should be in CRP if pencils were put to them. Some folks just have a philosophic aversion to governmental intervention.

Wouldn't it pull millions of acres out of production--therefore market price go up. Again hypothetical. Nick

Wouldn't it pull millions of acres out of production--therefore market price go up. Again hypothetical. Nick

No, most likely not millions. The biggest gains would go to the farmers without ditches, how fair is that ?

Allowing haying on those acres would hurt the folks who are raising hay right now, depress the prices for hay.

It's a windmill anyway. Good press, makes sense on the surface but would do little for anyone, and harm some.

.It's a windmill anyway. Good press, makes sense on the surface but would do little for anyone, and harm some.

Yeah that's way I asked. One thing I discovered in collage is the the perfect world scenarios often pushed by few strange folks/professors don't stand a chance in the real word. They sound good, look good on paper but don't work out. Nick

CRP & CRP buffers are considered by many to have had large impacts on water quality in many areas of the Driftless Area. It get's a great deal of credit for improving overall water quality in these areas to the point that many of the streams that couldn't sustain wild trout spawning 25 years ago actually can (for now at least). To say buffers would have no meaningful impact on water quality is IMO inaccurate.

Tiling is a whole different issue and to use the impacts of tiling as a reason not to pursue buffer improvements is just illogical. The opportunity at hand is buffer strips and as a community we should take full advantage of this opportunity. Addressing the tiling issue can come later.

Hopefully the powers that be will have the foresight to pursue/incorporate some long-term CRP options into the equation which would give the landowner some opportunity for financial rewards and at the same time turn the buffers into something meaningful for all wildlife.

I also agree 100% that this won't work if the enforcement doesn't equally apply to all landowners. Farmers can't be singled out or the initiative will fail.

Drainage in the driftless areas is mostly natural, that is the surrounding land will drain towards the water course. In these areas buffer strips are the most effective way to clean the water. I would imagine trout streams are generally of the natural kind.

In the Des Moines lobe, and other recently glaciated areas the drainage is mostly by artificial means. These dug ditches usually have the spoil piled on both sides of the ditch, preventing much of the surface water from entering the ditch. Tile of various sorts would be the predominate entry method for water to be drained.

Buffers around this type of drainage ditch would do little.

I have a lot of buffer strips, and CRP of various types. I am in favor of more, but it needs to be placed appropriately.

Last edited:
Been a while since I've checked in. Some good -and heated-discussions here. I didn't grow up on a farm, never worked on a farm. I have a lifetime of spending time outdoors, was a DNR Forester for 34 years.

What agribusiness and farming has done to the water, land and resources, stuns me to this day. Yes, we need food. Don't ram this notion down our throats, as it is a tired old moniker that is inappropriate anymore. The dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico, and now one in Lake Winnipeg, has more to do with farming practices than others.

I do agree that drain tiling has greatly accelerated runoff into waters. For the life of me, I cannot understand pattern tiling of what appears to be already drained land. In SW MN everybody has rolls of tile on hand and every fall more is installed. Is it more of a tax write-off in good years? And is that why when land was so crazy a few years back, it was a tax write-off?

You cannot tell me, and I am speaking to Monsanto, Dow, DuPont, Bayer as well as the farmers using their products, that killing all weeds, and treating seed with neonics, another pesticide designed to kill all insects, isn't junk science. To kill all, and now come up with another treatment for resistant weeds, and kill pollinators like bees who can't adapt/evolve like others, isn't flat out wrong. If we share the blame with the farmers for anything, its that we've let so few (corporations) control so so much.

Why not demand that on our food labeling, we have the right to know if its non-gmo. Thats our right, and it has nothing to do with food safety, its about GIVING us the choice when purchasing. Tax drain tile. Quit fighting new public lands and people who want to pursue perpetual conservation easements. If you want to get bigger then buy up existing farms.

How about working with us, taking responsibility for whats going on, and work to fix it? Quit pointing fingers at others and point them at yourselves-don't deflect. And don't get your undies in a bunch about its my land I can do what I want blah blah blah. If you truly feel that way then quit taking subsidies. Its a messed up system, its not sustainable, and its time to start fixing and quit stalling.

Dan

Dan, all good points and very well put.

I grow only non-GMO corn, the pencil says it is the way to go. I grow round-up soybeans, the herbicide load on the environment is much less.

I tried to find seed not treated with nicotinamides, not possible. I know the DNR has found some for their cooperators, I couldn't.

Seems like this would be a separate thread, a little off the topics of buffer strips.

Back