Buckwheat - any good

SetterNut

I have about 4 acers that runs along the bottom of an alfalfa field and some plum thicket.

This spot has a bunch of grass/foxtail in it. I am thinking about planting Buckwheat in it to smother the weeds, and provide flowers for my 2 bee hives.

This area would also make a great dove hunting spot.

Do quail and Doves like Buckwheat? Any down side to BW?

I see where it is good at making more P available for the next crop, which is something that I need.

I've planted it a number of times here in MI. For me it grows great. The only downsides are that it can't handle frost, so you need to beware to not plant it too early, and it doesn't stand up to any winter weather.

Otherwise it grows easily, produces lots of seed, and all kinds of birds love it. The hum from the bees that eventually find it is great too. The deer also like to chow down on it, so don't plant too small of a plot, but it'll regrow a bit unless they eat it down to nothing.

Buck n Cock

A friend of mine use to plant a seed mixture advertised as Buck n Cock. It had buck wheat, peas, soybeans a little millet an corn in the seed bag. He planted it in low areas that didn't get planted to crop ground in early June. The wildlife loved the stuff... I don't believe they sale the stuff anymore. sdviking

Thanks guys,

Do you know if it would be any good as a dove field if it was mowed or disked before the season?

Thanks guys,

Do you know if it would be any good as a dove field if it was mowed or disked before the season?

I do Proso Millet for doves. I have used buckwheat for duck food and quick cover in waterfowl areas with great results. The millet will leave some bare ground a big plus for doves.

i agree

I do Proso Millet for doves. I have used buckwheat for duck food and quick cover in waterfowl areas with great results. The millet will leave some bare ground a big plus for doves.

I don't hunt doves, it's just too busy in September to do much hunting. But I agree with oldandnew, it would make good hunting ground. Especially if water is close by..

Buck Wheat

A lot of farmers don't like neighbors using buckwheat because it is so hard to kill and the birds transplant the seed in their droppings. I would look at some other wheat grasses or seed producing grasses. If it is a wet area we planted an area with Canary grass and oats mix; the first year cutting and baling it at the end of the summer then the canary grass took over, haven?t touched it in 20 years since planting. Some years the area has a foot or two of water in the spring early summer and the canary grows through it. Great brooding cover for hens.
RLH

Back