BSA SxS Shotgun

Dakotazeb

I ran across a BSA SxS 16 ga. for sale on GunsAmerica.com. I know nothing about BSA firearms but do know that this gun was made in Spain and it looks an awful lot like the TriStar Brittany. Here's the link:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/94936397...BSA_SxS_16_G_26inch_BBl_2_3_4inch_Chamber.htm

Can anyone give me any info on this BSA shotgun?

I also ran across another 16 ga. SxS that I had never heard of. It's a Charles Daly Empire and was made by Beretta from 1968-71. Apparently it's similar to the Beretta GR3 except the GR3 had a selectable trigger and ejectors. The Daly Empire has a non-selective trigger and extractors. Anyone familiar with the Daly empire?

I'm surprised that no one has posted to this thread. I did confirm that the BSA SxS is indeed the same gun as the TriStar Brittany. The BSA's were imported prior to the Brittanys and when BSA stopped importing them TriStar took over. While I like the BSA/Brittany, I keep reading so many negative things about them. But I have also read several posts on other sites from guys that have not had any problems and really like them. Guess it depends on whether you get a good one or a lemon.

As for the Charles Daly Empire all I have found are very positive reports. Sounds like a real solid gun. Of course it's made in Italy by the same company that makes the Beretta's. I thought someone on this site would have had some experience with one. How about you, Uncle Buck. You're the resident SxS expert????

George, I had a Charles Daly Field HunterII, It was a very fine shotgun that gave me no problems for 3 years. Then all of sudden I could not hit the barn with it. I paid $560 for it and I sold it $550. I now shoot nothing but O/U's for hunting. Now I see CDNN has the same gun on sale for $500. They are a good Spanish SxS but I think it only comes in 20 gauge. I know these guns pretty well. They were made many years ago before the Tristar even came out. Check it out if you need more info let me know. I can tell you this the same gun maker makes the Tristar as does the Charles Daly..........Bob

I can tell you this the same gun maker makes the Tristar as does the Charles Daly

Bob, that may be true of some of the guns but the Charles Daly Empire that was imported from 1968-71 was made for Charles Daly by Beretta.

George, I had a Charles Daly Field HunterII, It was a very fine shotgun that gave me no problems for 3 years. Then all of sudden I could not hit the barn with it. I paid $560 for it and I sold it $550. I now shoot nothing but O/U's for hunting. Now I see CDNN has the same gun on sale for $500. They are a good Spanish SxS but I think it only comes in 20 gauge. I know these guns pretty well. They were made many years ago before the Tristar even came out. Check it out if you need more info let me know. I can tell you this the same gun maker makes the Tristar as does the Charles Daly..........Bob

I had one of the field hunter II's in 28ga. I wish I still had it. It was a great gun

What I was trying to tell you George was the Tristar Brittany and MY Charles Daly were both made in Spain by Zabala Hermanos. Today they are both out of production. The newer Tristar is the Pheonix and it is being made by one of the Rizzini Brothers in Italy. I would guess from the design it is made by the Fausti Plant.

George, I found this I know it is a 20 gauge, you are 16 gauge man. But this is a fine older SxS I don't remember who made these for Weatherby Athena D'Italia. But at the time they came out they were the talk of the industry. It MIGHT be another gun made the Rizzini Brothers. Here is the link to this gun you might like it.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

This a home page and download the catalog.

Bob

Last edited:
Yeah Bob, I'd like to stay with a 16 ga. The Charles Daly Empire I would like but the guy wants too much for it. At this point if I get something I may have to settle for one of the BSA Classic SxS 16's I've been watching. I know they are made in Spain by Zabala and reviews are both good an bad. Talked to a guy in North Dakota that has owned several of the TriStar Brittany's (same gun) and he maintains he has never had a problem with one. I have found a new BSA on the internet and if I can get the price down to where I think it should be I might give it a try. The BSA's have fixed chokes while the TriStar Brittany's had tubes.

I have a hunting and dog training buddy. The same guy that owned Ceder Ridge Gun Trade Sam National Champion Brittany. He has a Tristar Brittany in a 28 gauge. He got it the same time I got my Charles Daly SxS. He shoots Skeet and Sporting Clays as well as hunting with it. He loves it and has never had a problem. I know you prefer the BSA the choice is yours. But thought you might like a first hand comment on the tristar........Bob

I have a hunting and dog training buddy. The same guy that owned Ceder Ridge Gun Trade Sam National Champion Brittany. He has a Tristar Brittany in a 28 gauge. He got it the same time I got my Charles Daly SxS. He shoots Skeet and Sporting Clays as well as hunting with it. He loves it and has never had a problem. I know you prefer the BSA the choice is yours. But thought you might like a first hand comment on the tristar........Bob

Bob, I don't prefer the BSA. The TriStar Brittany and the BSA are the same exact gun. Prior to TriStar importing the Brittany, BSA was importing the same SxS. It's just that I have found a couple of the BSA's in 16 ga. and can't find a 16 ga. TriStar Brittany. From what I've found it appears the only difference between the two is that the BSA has fixed chokes and the Brittany tubes. Otherwise they are on in the same.

Thanks DZ for the heads up. That one has been on Gun Broker for a while. I have been watching it but I think he's a little high but the market bares what it bares. I just paid $700.00 for a 4 generation family heirloom SxS 12ga with exposed hammers and London Fluid steel barrels. I paid way more then it's worth but the sentimental value of having my wife's great, great grandfathers SxS from South Dakota is irreplaceable. Her dad had a non family member Pheasant lodge owner going to buy it. I put a stop to that. It's now in our gun cabinet and will stay in the family as long as I'm alive. I'm going to post up a thread on this gun.

I just think it's funny that it took Bob 3 years and cost him $10 bucks to figure out that SxS's make you crosseyed...:D

That was a cheap lesson Jim.

Key word "lesson"...There is a Smith & Wesson Gold SxS 20ga at Gander in Amarillo and everytime I put it to my shoulder, it begs me to buy it. It is a sweet looking and handling SxS; but I just can't focus down those barrels. I'm afraid someday I'll have to learn that same lesson.

Back