Browning Sweet 16

turkhntr16

I have the opp. to purchase a Belgium made 1953 Browning Sweet 16 from a co-worker. The gun has a 28 inch solid rid mod. barrel. Where the A5s made in this era well made firearms?? Thanks for any information.

Turkhntr16

Hunted pheasant quail and ducks in Iowa in 1999 with a guy who shot one. He had carried it for years grouse hunting out east. He loved that gun and shot it very well.

Yes - Thanks. I used the serial number provided by the current owner and determined the gun was Belgium made in the year of 1953

Turk--I have 4 of the Belgian Auto-5's and also the new A-5 Sweet 16. The two 20 gauges are Cylinder and IC choked, respectively. Both of those have vent ribs. They are wonderful grouse, quail and rabbit guns, and I've shot pheasants with the IC choked 20 gauge.. The two Sweet 16's are 1): a modified choked, round knob, blond wood model with vent rib which has killed a number of ducks and roosters, and 2): a Sweet 16 with vent rib and IC choke. Three of these 4 are in 96-99% original condition. I would never trade or sell them. The Belgian models, particularly in the vent-rib open-choked 16 and 20 gauges, are becoming quite collectible if in good original condition.

The Sweet 16 A5 I bought late in 2018 and it is a marvelously light and responsive bird gun you can walk all day with! This season, in Illinois, Iowa and Indiana I've shot about 2 dozen roosters and at least that many ducks with it. It fits me like the proverbial glove, and recoil is negligible.... I cannot recommend these guns highly enough--but don't shoot steel in the Belgian-made guns.

I believe the solid ribbed guns are even more rare. They only built them through about 1956. If it’s in good shape for a decent price buy it!

Well I am now the proud new owner of a 1953 Browning Sweet 16. When I get much smarter, I will try to post a pic. I gave my buddy a couple Michelobs and got a fair price. Quick question, what I am I doing wrong? I always end up have all three words Report Edit and Delete at the bottom of my posts. I am old and not very tech savvy. Can't wait to take a wild SD long tail with that 16. Thanks The Old Turkey Hunter

Well I am now the proud new owner of a 1953 Browning Sweet 16. When I get much smarter, I will try to post a pic. I gave my buddy a couple Michelobs and got a fair price. Quick question, what I am I doing wrong? I always end up have all three words Report Edit and Delete at the bottom of my posts. I am old and not very tech savvy. Can't wait to take a wild SD long tail with that 16. Thanks The Old Turkey Hunter
@turkhntr16 - The Report/Like/Reply are automatically appended to every post. You’re not doing anything wrong. It’s a feature of the software that powers the forum. Congrats on the new shotgun!

@turkhntr16 - The Report/Like/Reply are automatically appended to every post. You’re not doing anything wrong. It’s a feature of the software that powers the forum. Congrats on the new shotgun!
Concur IRT best shotgun (best "new" old bird getter) ever but IRT the automated post adds - are you sure about that? What if that's just what "they" want you to think? :cool:

Wow...two Michelob's for a Sweet 16. Might be the best deal I've seen on the forum. I'll give you six-pack of Best Maid Pickle Beer and half eaten donut if you decide to sell it. Trust me that Pickle Beer is hard to find. Actually, congrats on the gun. I have a 67 A5 Sweet 16 and a 2004 Lightning Feather 16 O/U. Great guns.

Back