Browning Gold Hunter gas piston

jonnyB

Does anyone have experience in disassembling the gas piston for the Browning Gold? Is it difficult and necessary??

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,
There is a guy on shotgunworld.com that posted how to do this. I tried to get the link but couldn't. You might search for that. Of course the best way to fix it, is to come on over to the O/U or SxS team...:p

I have refrained from responding because I have wracked my brain trying to remember what if any maintenence beyond clearing gas ports, carbon removal, and relube we ever did on these models over the 10 years or so in the immediate family we had three in use. Besides the cursory forearm disassembly I don't recall any complete disassembly, nor do I feel it's necessary, this side of a high volume Argentine dove shoot. My question would be why do you want to do it? Is the gun not cycling properly? We now have next generation Browning's Evolve and Gold Fusion, both of which are nice shooters, but by comparison, at least for me very difficult to refit barrel and forearm assemblies after cleaning, everything has to be just so, and even then requires some pressure, more than you would expect. The clone Winchester SX2 is the same way. Unfortunately for me, I shoot these models better than any other gun, which devils me due to the fact that I have a really nice collection of vintage doubles and desperately want to be that good with any one of those!

Bng. Gold piston

Thanks for the replies regards the piston in the Gold...

I did post on another site and received the comment: "don't try and disassemble", Bng. doesn't recommend.

Was just curious, not seeking additional work for myself! As mentioned previously, I use NO OIL on the magazine tube and NO OIL inside the piston. Since changing this approach to cleaning, the gun has worked without a jam/misfire.

Jon

For lube I would use the Remington teflon or Winchester break free spray. Regular oils will freeze up in any auto in sub freezing weather.

Thanks for the replies regards the piston in the Gold...

I did post on another site and received the comment: "don't try and disassemble", Bng. doesn't recommend.

Was just curious, not seeking additional work for myself! As mentioned previously, I use NO OIL on the magazine tube and NO OIL inside the piston. Since changing this approach to cleaning, the gun has worked without a jam/misfire.

Jon

I have the exact same gun and find if you use steel wool to clean the magazine tube from any dried powder residue it seems to make a world of difference. Also, I use Hoppe's #9 cleaner on the piston to clean residue from it but have never done any disassembly and it has worked fine.

Gas Piston

I agree with steel wool or 3M pad on the mag. tube and NO OIL.

Also, I soak the piston in Hoppes for a while. Have a special jar with a little cleaner and that seems to work well. Sounds like we have arrived at the same system.

Thanks for the response,

Jon

Back