Browning Citori 725

CRP

I had a chance to shoot a Browning Citori 725 12 GA Field model up in ND last weekend. I own a Citori 625 Field model, and use it mainly for clays due to being almost 8 lbs. The 725 does feel a little lighter and slimmer, although the difference is slight. The ammo tested was Rem Nitro Pheasant 1 1/4 oz #4, and Fed Wing-Shok 1 1/4 oz #4. Even thought these are high-speed loads, the recoil wasn't too bad for an O/U. Must be the recoil pad.........

They both worked well, and it would be tough to single out out. The 725 was choked Mod over I/C, and most birds work taken cleanly with the I/C.
However, I did shoot my Maxus most of the time, and both shells worked good in that gun as well. The biggest question with the "fast" loads is patterning. While these loads pattern OK in my gun, the Kent and Win HV loads don't pattern worth a darn. The Fiocchi nickel loads can be hit or miss regarding patterning from what I've seen.

Last edited:
Is the 725 a new one for next year? I don't see it in Browning's current online catalog. How is it different than the 625.

The Rocky Mtn Browning rep told me that they would be offering a Citori Lightning Feather in 12 GA, something they havn't done in awhile-only a 20/28 set. That's on my radar in my search for a sub 7 lb 12 GA O/U.
P.O.L.

The 725 is a 2012 gun according to their website. It is a little slimmer and lighter than the 625, but not much. The surprising thing was it seemed to have less felt recoil than the 625 with the same loads. Or, the new vest and coat absorbs recoil...............

I was out on some public land today with a small group and was shooting Hevi-Metal #5's at 1500 fps. Any shot over 25 yards resulted in a crippled bird. I absolutely HATE steel shot, no matter what the marketing "experts" tell us. We lost at least 4 birds to steel that would have been folded with lead!

The 725 is a 2012 gun according to their website. It is a little slimmer and lighter than the 625, but not much. The surprising thing was it seemed to have less felt recoil than the 625 with the same loads. Or, the new vest and coat absorbs recoil...............

I was out on some public land today with a small group and was shooting Hevi-Metal #5's at 1500 fps. Any shot over 25 yards resulted in a crippled bird. I absolutely HATE steel shot, no matter what the marketing "experts" tell us. We lost at least 4 birds to steel that would have been folded with lead!

Use #2s in steel on pheasants.

Th original recipe for Hevi-Shot is the only non-toxic shot that has ever worked for me. I have a few boxes left of the Remington version in #6 shot and those loads kill like lead. However, when Remington quit making them, HS must have changed the formula. The current HS sold by HS is not as good.

+1 on steel 2's for pheasants

Back