Browning BSS

Dakotazeb

I've posted here before that I was looking for a 16 ga. SxS but now I'm thinking about a BSS 20 ga. I bought a BSS 20 ga. back in the mid 70's and sold it in the mid 80's. Something I've always regretted, especially since they now cost about 5 times what I sold mine for. When I had the BSS I felt is was a quality piece. In fact it was maybe one of the better SxS's in it's day. Browning quit making the BSS in 1987 and I never understood why.

The early BSS's had a single non-selective trigger and auto ejectors. In the later years of production they added a barrel selector behind the trigger on the trigger guard.

I'm just curious if any members out there have any expereince with a BSS?

I bought two of them in the 70's, one a 20 ga sporter (wife's gun) and a 12 gauge. Both had 26 inch bbls. The 20 was a sweet gun. The 12 was muzzle light and whippy (28 inch bbls would have helped). It was very fast handling for close shots, but hard to carry through for long shots--I used it to good effect on ruffed grouse. Both guns would sometimes fail to fire the second barrel if you were wearing thick gloves or shooting light loads--I think it had to do with the need for the recoil to press against your finger to set the trigger for the second shot. Don't miss the 12, wish we had kept the 20, we sold just before the BSS started to rise in value. !6 ga sxs hard to come by. I have used a 16 ga Parker repro since 1994--it is my go to gun for just about everything. I found it necessary to handload as factory ammo choices are limited, but love the 16 gauge for upland and small to medium ducks.

The BSS is a fine gun in most every way, but is a bit on the heavy side.

They are very, very strong. I know a guy (machinist by trade) who sleeved a 20 ga BSS and converted it to .458 Winchester. No, I don't know why.

I didn't want to be in the same county when he test fired it, but I'm told it held up just fine.

Considering that the .458 produces 5000+ ft-lbs against the 20 ga slug at 1400 ft-lbs, the BSS must be one stout gun.

Back in the early 80s I owned a couple of BSS 20 bores. Fine guns with no problems. I still own a couple of 20's of other types and shoot them often but "I" would not give up on the search for a 16!

Everyone who shoots needs a gun that makes him happy no matter the bore size, but I think the 16 in the right configuration is the King of the Hill in the uplands. You may have to search a little for the correct ammo for the job, or as many do, reload, but when it all comes together they are so sweet!!!!

BobM

I'm watching for a very nice Browning Belgium vent rib Sweet 16 with mod choke or Imp cylinder. I want a early to mid 60s gun. I have a standard Browning A5 16(American made) and a Belgium 20ga Magnum.

I have had a love affair with the 16 all my life. I have had many. SxS's, O/U's, Pumps, Auto's. I bought a brand new model 37 Ithaca 16 back in the early 80s. Wish I still had the old girl. I have a A5 and a Winchester model 12 in 16 now.

BSS is a fine SxS in 20 Ga too

Back in the early 80s I owned a couple of BSS 20 bores. Fine guns with no problems. I still own a couple of 20's of other types and shoot them often but "I" would not give up on the search for a 16!

Everyone who shoots needs a gun that makes him happy no matter the bore size, but I think the 16 in the right configuration is the King of the Hill in the uplands. You may have to search a little for the correct ammo for the job, or as many do, reload, but when it all comes together they are so sweet!!!!

BobM

I've got a 16 ga. Citori White Lightning that I bought a year ago and it's all I used last year for pheasants and sharpies. The gun is perfect. Feels like a 20 ga. I just thought it would be nice to have a 16 ga. SxS also. But I want a 16 ga. SxS with a single trigger so it makes it even more difficult. I can get a TriStar or BSA but would prefer something of a little better quality. I also found a Charles Daly Empire that was made by Beretta that I wouldn't mind having if I can get the price down a little. Only problem with the Charles Daly is that it has extractors and not ejectors. But I can probably live with that. I probably wouldn't use the SxS that much anyway. Mainly for use in the NSTRA field trials.

I've had a few 16's. Started out on an old Model 12 then traded that for a Rem 870. Ammo isn't a big problem in lead but steel is quite limited.

I agree that 16ga. SXS guns with single triggers and of good to better quality are not falling outta the sky. You may have to look for a while. If you opt to go with the 20bore you might look for one of the SKB M100 or M200s.

There are a few of them out there on the gun auction/sale sites. They usually have a PG stock and single selective triggers. I have found them to be of excellent quality for the price though the M100s do have extractors.

Just a thought,

Bob

Back