Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen

Dakotazeb

I didn't want to resurrect an old thread on this so thought I'd start a new one.

I was just wondering how those of you that bought one of the new A5 Sweet Sixteens like your guns now that you have had a chance to carry them in the field??

I was on a list to get one from my local dealer but when the gun finally arrived in January I was in Arizona for the winter and passed on the gun. Still haven't put one to the shoulder yet. However, as I've been hunting with my 1960 Sweet this season I find myself asking "Why would I want to replace this bird killing machine?" Yes my gun is heavier than the new ones but it fits me great and I miss very little with it. Still something cool about having that solid chuck of steel in your hands. Think I'll continue to pass on the new ones because my 1960 Sweet Sixteen is so SWEEEEEET!

View attachment 7789

What a classic. I wish they would make the new ones with the rounded pistol grip. The new grips are so tight it seems awkward and somewhat uncomfortable to me anyway.

George, I have the new A5 in 12 Ga. shot it today and it functions OK.

One problem: there is a lever under and in front of the trigger guard that can cycle a shell, if needed. Have found no use for this when hunting upland. In fact, I bumped the lever twice and a shell pulled from the magazine and ended outside/underneath the chamber...not good! Had to cycle the shells and start over again. Others have had this problem when hunting upland...

The gun is easier to load than my old A5.

I agree 100% about it being a killing machine. I’ve carried other guns over the years but I’ve always gone back to my sweet sixteen. Now in my older years I see no reason to shoot anything else at pheasants.

"Why would I want to replace this bird killing machine?" Think I'll continue to pass on the new ones because my 1960 Sweet Sixteen is so SWEEEEEET!
The answer is, "You would NOT want to replace that machine because it would be impossible. And the one you have is SOOOOO sweet!"
View attachment 7790

Love my new Sweet 16. Everything I hoped it would be. Nice and light to carry.

Same here. I bought one at the Cabela's in Mitchell on my trip there two weeks ago. I had called about a week before and put one on layaway over the phone, because I wanted the 26" barrel and wanted to be sure they had one when I got there. The guy brought out the one that had been put back for me, and the wood was just fine, but I had seen photos online of some real pretty ones. So I asked him to bring out another, and the wood on that one was just gorgeous, lots of flame. I said "I'll take that one" in less than 2 seconds :)
I hunted with it for 6 days, and couldn't be happier. Just a pleasure to carry all day, and the recoil isn't as bad as I expected. Though the Federal PF 1 & 1/8 ounce at 1425 fps do produce quite a jolt, so I'll mostly stick with Golden Pheasants.

Quite a difference going from a 12ga 1100 the first day, to a 5 lb 12 oz gun the next. (don't get me wrong, still love my Remingtons)

Gonna use it on a duck hunt over the holidays, with Kent bismuth shells.

Same here. I bought one at the Cabela's in Mitchell on my trip there two weeks ago. I had called about a week before and put one on layaway over the phone, because I wanted the 26" barrel and wanted to be sure they had one when I got there. The guy brought out the one that had been put back for me, and the wood was just fine, but I had seen photos online of some real pretty ones. So I asked him to bring out another, and the wood on that one was just gorgeous, lots of flame. I said "I'll take that one" in less than 2 seconds :)
I hunted with it for 6 days, and couldn't be happier. Just a pleasure to carry all day, and the recoil isn't as bad as I expected. Though the Federal PF 1 & 1/8 ounce at 1425 fps do produce quite a jolt, so I'll mostly stick with Golden Pheasants.

Quite a difference going from a 12ga 1100 the first day, to a 5 lb 12 oz gun the next. (don't get me wrong, still love my Remingtons)

Gonna use it on a duck hunt over the holidays, with Kent bismuth shells.

The weight difference is huge if you walk a lot. Been carrying my old Citori this past week...

George, I have the new A5 in 12 Ga. shot it today and it functions OK.

One problem: there is a lever under and in front of the trigger guard that can cycle a shell, if needed. Have found no use for this when hunting upland. In fact, I bumped the lever twice and a shell pulled from the magazine and ended outside/underneath the chamber...not good! Had to cycle the shells and start over again. Others have had this problem when hunting upland...

The gun is easier to load than my old A5.

The gun will fire just fine with a shell on the carrier. Nothing dangerous. Don't worry about that lever.

View attachment 7803

My 3.5" camo A5 has been flawless through two season's. Put lots of ducks in the freezer.(3 hunters)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip...the shell is trapped "under" the carrier. Will it still cycle?

Thanks!

Yep, it will cycle just fine.

Yep, it will cycle just fine.

Many autoloaders have this "problem" (which can be annoying, but really isn't a problem). Benellis, Berettas, you name it. But they all cycle just fine. When you pull the trigger under normal circumstances, it effectively pushes this button & allows a shell to drop from the magazine. When you accidentally hit the button, you've just saved a step when the gun is actually fired.

Hoping for some more first hand reviews on the new A5 Sweet Sixteen.

Local Scheels has a '59 Belgium Made Sweet Sixteen, but they are asking $1650 vs $1499 for the new A5.

Ability to change chokes is a biggie for me, steel not so much as I'd shoot Bismuth or HW13 from it regardless of what I'm chasing.

Would primarily be an upland gun, my SBE2 is the ugly camo and is my duck and waterfowl machine.

Have been looking at used A5, 20ga - most are higher priced than new guns! And I noticed the used 16's are pricey too...

Hoping for some more first hand reviews on the new A5 Sweet Sixteen.

Local Scheels has a '59 Belgium Made Sweet Sixteen, but they are asking $1650 vs $1499 for the new A5.

Ability to change chokes is a biggie for me, steel not so much as I'd shoot Bismuth or HW13 from it regardless of what I'm chasing.

Would primarily be an upland gun, my SBE2 is the ugly camo and is my duck and waterfowl machine.

Unless that '59 Sweet is in "Mint" condition that price is way too much. Check what the Belgium made Sweets are selling for on GunBroker.com. I bought a '60 SweetSixteen with a 26" vent rib barrel choked IC and in very nice (but used) condition a few years ago for about $900.

Unless that '59 Sweet is in "Mint" condition that price is way too much. Check what the Belgium made Sweets are selling for on GunBroker.com. I bought a '60 SweetSixteen with a 26" vent rib barrel choked IC and in very nice (but used) condition a few years ago for about $900.

It does look damn good honestly, but it's fixed mod choke. It doesn't hold any sentimental value to me, my gpa is more utilitarian in his shotgun choices-12 gauge pump varieties.

May just go with the new one as it's much lighter and I can swap out chokes if necessary.

Back