Browning 20ga A5

One big advantage the 16 has over the 20 is that in most cases the 16 throws a better pattern.
Is that universally the case? Does payload, choke, velocity or range have any bearing on results? I’m not trolling. I don’t use either 16 or 20, I’m just interested.

I love my 16 also. Kind of surprised the 20 is only 1 oz. less than the 16. Browning web site says the 20 is built using a smaller-sized frame than that of the 12 gauge. Doesn't compare it to the 16 so my guess they are using the 16 gauge frame. That's what Browning did with the older Auto 5's. Since the 16 came before the 20, the 20's were built on the 16 gauge frame.

Actually before I hit the post button here I looked up some info on the new A5 20 gauge. In an article from Peterson's Hunting here is the quote:

The 20 gauge is built on the same frame as the 16 gauge, as was the original, meaning it can accommodate a thinner stock, producing a more slender, lighter overall look and feel and easy-handling comfort.
I have a 1959 20 a5 and love it. But because winter roosters are so tough Iam going to start loading TSS they are in trouble now

Is that universally the case? Does payload, choke, velocity or range have any bearing on results? I’m not trolling. I don’t use either 16 or 20, I’m just interested.
Concerning bore size, the generally accepted wisdom is that a larger bore always throws a better pattern with the same payload of shot. I.E. 1 ounce of lead patterns better out of a 16 gauge than a 20, and the same payload patterns best of all out of a 12. I would say that with modern ammo this difference has been diminished, due to the modern shotcup protecting pellets and wads that help reduce setback etc.

All things equal, bigger bore almost always throws a more even pattern. For instance 12ga 1 1/4 5s is much easier to get a good even pattern than 20ga 3" 1 1/4 5s.

I love my 16 also. Kind of surprised the 20 is only 1 oz. less than the 16. Browning web site says the 20 is built using a smaller-sized frame than that of the 12 gauge. Doesn't compare it to the 16 so my guess they are using the 16 gauge frame. That's what Browning did with the older Auto 5's. Since the 16 came before the 20, the 20's were built on the 16 gauge frame.

Actually before I hit the post button here I looked up some info on the new A5 20 gauge. In an article from Peterson's Hunting here is the quote:

The 20 gauge is built on the same frame as the 16 gauge, as was the original, meaning it can accommodate a thinner stock, producing a more slender, lighter overall look and feel and easy-handling comfort.
When I weigh a gun, I always do it loaded, since that is how I carry and shoot it. And the difference will be more than one ounce.

All things equal, bigger bore almost always throws a more even pattern. For instance 12ga 1 1/4 5s is much easier to get a good even pattern than 20ga 3" 1 1/4 5s.
Would it make sense to compare 6 shot in a 20 to 5 shot in a 16? To keep things equal you’d have to keep the number of shot the same. If 1 oz of shot is optimum in a 16 (for the sake of comparison) the you’d want the optimum load in a 20, which would obviously be lighter. To fill out the pattern, you’d have to compensate for having fewer shot or the test would be skewed. If the 20 is just as deadly as a 16 on pheasants without going to a heavier payload, then it’s a moot point.
Not counting 3” 20’s of course because there’s no 3” 16 to compare with.

Would it make sense to compare 6 shot in a 20 to 5 shot in a 16? To keep things equal you’d have to keep the number of shot the same. If 1 oz of shot is optimum in a 16 (for the sake of comparison) the you’d want the optimum load in a 20, which would obviously be lighter. To fill out the pattern, you’d have to compensate for having fewer shot or the test would be skewed. If the 20 is just as deadly as a 16 on pheasants without going to a heavier payload, then it’s a moot point.
Not counting 3” 20’s of course because there’s no 3” 16 to compare with.

Huh? Equal is equal. Shot weight & size. That's the point here. A ounce & 1/8 load of 5s in a 3" 20 won't pattern as good as through a 16 that has a bigger barrel width. You go changing shot size to make them "equal" (not sure how that works) & you get different penetration. Not equal.

Huh? Equal is equal. Shot weight & size. That's the point here. A ounce & 1/8 load of 5s in a 3" 20 won't pattern as good as through a 16 that has a bigger barrel width. You go changing shot size to make them "equal" (not sure how that works) & you get different penetration. Not equal.
You didn’t understand my post. Read it again.

When I weigh a gun, I always do it loaded, since that is how I carry and shoot it. And the difference will be more than one ounce.
Assuming 3 shells in the gun the weight difference between 20 ga with 1 oz loads and a 16 ga with 1 1/8 oz loads has to be very minor. Maybe an ounce or two.

That is a proven fact but certainly could very between guns, payloads, chokes, etc.

Browning has finally released the new A5 20ga version for 2024. At somewhere below $2000, I guess I will be selling the wife:):)
Just kidding, but I have been waiting a long time for this now I need to wait a bit longer as more get to the used market or inventory increases.
It suppose to be just under 5.7 lbs. WOW
The best Browning are made pre 1960.

I have too many clean misses to worry about whether a 16 might "pattern better" than my 20's do. :)

If I put the "ounce of 5's" pattern on them they come down. If they come down they go in the bag. This was Rocket's 1st bird in 2019. 5 seasons, never anything but wild birds and we haven't lost one yet. Had a couple of close calls, but in the end he got 'em.

I have to walk a lot to find my birds, but I really prefer the carry of the O/U over the semi. I like the weight and size of the 20-ga 28" O/U and the weight and bulk of 15 20-ga shells. When it quits working I will change something.

Last edited:
Back