Briley Choke Tube Recommendations

westksbowhunter

I am considering a Briley choke tube for my Montefeltro 20 gauge. Thinking either light modified or modified. What do you all think and do you have any experience with this extended ported tubes?

Have some Briley chokes. No complaints here. For me if I was shooting a single barrel gun I would go with light modified.

I really like my briley extended choke tubes. I've shot them for 18 years, hunting and sporting clays. I pheasants hunt with a light mod 20 guage invector plus. I personally don't like ported chokes, too dirty for me. I'm sure there's several that think they're the berries.
Heck, I would get the light mod and Mod while I was at it!

Don't bother with ported chokes. They don't do anything but get clogged up with wad fouling. .015 or .020 thousandths or essentially L.Mod or Mod if your pheasant hunting. Check out Carlsons tubes great quality and a bit cheaper.

.015 or .020 thousandths in the 12 gauge are LMod and Mod.
.012 or .015 thousandths in the invector plus 20 gauge per briley, for LMod and Mod.
Not sure what they will be for the Benelli montefeltro 20 gauge?

That's odd. Carlsons chokes for 20ga inv plus are .015 (.615) for LM and .020 (.610) for Mod This is based on a .630 bore diameter.

Carlson 20ga. Inv plus

Tubes
Item#
Const.
Dia.
$45.95
28871​
Cylinder​
.630​
ADD
28872​
Skeet​
.625​
ADD
28873​
Improved Cylinder​
.620​
ADD
28874​
Light Modified​
.615​
ADD
28875​
Modified​
.610​
ADD
28876​
Improved Modified​
.605​
ADD
28877​
Full​
.600​
ADD
28878​
Extra-Full​
.595​

.005 thousandths is quite a jump on a .630 bore.
If you own a set of Carlson's. You have some tight chokes.

Patternmaster upland early season non ported, shooting 3” 1 1/4 ounce 5 shot is deadly in a 20 montefeltro. Good for pointed birds and still kill them at 60 yards.

That's odd. Carlsons chokes for 20ga inv plus are .015 (.615) for LM and .020 (.610) for Mod This is based on a .630 bore diameter.

Carlson 20ga. Inv plus

Tubes
Item#
Const.
Dia.
$45.95
28871​
Cylinder​
.630​
ADD
28872​
Skeet​
.625​
ADD
28873​
Improved Cylinder​
.620​
ADD
28874​
Light Modified​
.615​
ADD
28875​
Modified​
.610​
ADD
28876​
Improved Modified​
.605​
ADD
28877​
Full​
.600​
ADD
28878​
Extra-Full​
.595​
Those Carlson chokes appear to be a lot tighter than Briley.

1628254586994.png

Those Carlson chokes appear to be a lot tighter than Briley.

View attachment 1699
I am considering a Briley choke tube for my Montefeltro 20 gauge. Thinking either light modified or modified. What do you all think and do you have any experience with this extended ported tubes?
I love light mod for my monte 20. On benelli sight they have light mod sporting choke for $55 which briley makes for them and comes out of Missouri from MWG works(non ported).

Did you purchase that choke?
Keep us posted, on how it performs this fall.

Sorry, I should have clarified my question better.
Which choke did you purchase, light mod or mod?

Last edited:
A modified choke tube (0.020”) is the best choke size for duck hunting. It allows for all-around performance for both decoying and passing shots. All types of shot and shot sizes can be put through a modified choke tube with no issues. Full chokes are specialized chokes for long distance shots only.

I can say that I have seen a difference in my hunt after getting a choke tube; I see how I have been more precise since then. Honestly, I see no reason to modify it as it doesn't change the way it works, only the price. If you struggle to find the right tube for you, I could suggest the one from https://ballachy.com/best-choke-tube-for-buckshot/. My wife got it for me on my birthday, and I am thankful for this kind of gift. It would be interesting to hear your experience because people seem to like them as far as I can see in the comments.

I shot light modified in the early season and had great results. As the pheasant season progressed, I went to a modified. I also got an improved modified. Going to try that one next season. The LM worked very well with Hevi Bismuth Upland #5.

Back