Books!!

Tomahawker

I’m a voracious reader and thought I would welcome members to recommend some favorites. A couple titles I think a lot of are “Pheasants of the Mind: a hunters search for a mythic bird” by Datus Proper
“The best of Nash Buckingham” compiled by G.B. Evans

Check ‘em out

I’m a voracious reader and thought I would welcome members to recommend some favorites. A couple titles I think a lot of are “Pheasants of the Mind: a hunters search for a mythic bird” by Datus Proper
“The best of Nash Buckingham” compiled by G.B. Evans

Check ‘em out
I went on a 3 day hunt with Datus Proper in 1979.He was a client of my dad's.

I read a lot of the sporting classic literature, especially lately with all of this inclement weather. Here are a few of my favorites:

"Grouse & Grouse Hunting"--Frank Woolner; "An Affair With Grouse" and "The Upland Shooting Life"-George Bird Evans
"Drummer in the Woods"-Burt Spiller
"The Gordon Macquarrie Sporting Treasury"--Gordon Macquarrie
"Hunting and Home In The Southern Heartland"-Archibald Rutledge
"Up On The River"-John Madson
"The Bobwhite Quail Book"-Lamar Underwood--(in this one a favorite story--"The Puncture"-by A.R. Beverly-Giddings)
"Mr. Buck-The Autobiography of Nash Buckingham"-Buckingham

And very specifically for pheasants: "Hunting The Long-Tailed Bird"-Bob Bell; "A Pheasant Hunter's Notebook"-Larry Brown;
"A Pheasant Hunter's Harvest"-Steve Grooms; and two fine stories from "Gray's Sporting Journal, Volume 2, Issue 4, Fall 1977:
"There's Always Tomorrow" by John Hewitt --and my all-time personal favorite hunting story, (which I reread every fall before
the pheasant opener): "The Prairie Queen" by Jack Curtis

I have more, but these should take you through the long winter....

My first pheasant book ... purchased long time ago.

THE RING-NECKED PHEASANT IN IOWA​

Looks like my original copy didn't go up much in value.

1672777828146.png

Years ago I was hunting with a much younger friend. I had brought him to ND in October. We were driving and scouting and I looked over and he was reading a MacQuarrie book. I hit the brakes and told him to put that book away until the middle of winter. He was living out (NOW) what he was reading....

I need to start reading again. Many I read 30 - 40 years ago. I bet I would appreciate them all more now.

I read a lot of the sporting classic literature, especially lately with all of this inclement weather. Here are a few of my favorites:

"Grouse & Grouse Hunting"--Frank Woolner; "An Affair With Grouse" and "The Upland Shooting Life"-George Bird Evans
"Drummer in the Woods"-Burt Spiller
"The Gordon Macquarrie Sporting Treasury"--Gordon Macquarrie
"Hunting and Home In The Southern Heartland"-Archibald Rutledge
"Up On The River"-John Madson
"The Bobwhite Quail Book"-Lamar Underwood--(in this one a favorite story--"The Puncture"-by A.R. Beverly-Giddings)
"Mr. Buck-The Autobiography of Nash Buckingham"-Buckingham

And very specifically for pheasants: "Hunting The Long-Tailed Bird"-Bob Bell; "A Pheasant Hunter's Notebook"-Larry Brown;
"A Pheasant Hunter's Harvest"-Steve Grooms; and two fine stories from "Gray's Sporting Journal, Volume 2, Issue 4, Fall 1977:
"There's Always Tomorrow" by John Hewitt --and my all-time personal favorite hunting story, (which I reread every fall before
the pheasant opener): "The Prairie Queen" by Jack Curtis

I have more, but these should take you through the long winter....
I'd like to read some I f those. Thanks

Once again, RUN, RAINEY, RUN by Mel Ellis

From Amazon listing, (but shop around, used prices vary widely), here's a link to another book vendor: https://www.biblio.com/booksearch/author/ellis-mel/title/run-rainey-run

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sportsman's Dog story...by a remarkable man.
Reviewed in the United States on March 9, 2005

I've had this book for about 30 years, and at each re-reading, I fall in love with it all over again. It is not fiction, but the true story of Mel Ellis, when he was Field Editor of Sports Afield, or Sports editor of Field and Stream (one of those), and the German Short-haired Pointer he had which was one of those "memorable" dogs.

This isn't a hunting version of "Lassie," but chapter after chapter of the relationship of a hunter and his hunting dog in the field.

It should be in every outdoors person's library, and read annually. :)

Last edited:
Not pheasants, but CJ Box is a Wyoming author whose Joe Pickett series follows a fictional game warden. Great, easy to read stories. I'm also a big fan of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books.
I’ll second GH’s recommendation
We went to Hawaii in March and my wife picked up Dark Sky by CJ Box. started reading it on the flight over and finished it by the second evening there - riveting - another good read - albeit not about hunting - Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer- about the perils of trying to reach the summit of Mt Everest

I have a collection of Gray's Sporting Journal at the cabin. While it can be a bit starchy at times, it's usually quite good. One story stands out for me. It's called Long Shot Last Shot. I loaned that edition out for friends to read, and haven't been able to locate it for about 25 years, which bums me out immensely. Wolfchief, do you know if there is a directory for GSJ somewhere online? I'd like to find that edition back..

Another outdoor writer that I enjoy is Patrick McManus.

Once again, RUN, RAINEY, RUN by Mel Ellis

From Amazon listing, (but shop around, used prices vary widely), here's a link to another book vendor: https://www.biblio.com/booksearch/author/ellis-mel/title/run-rainey-run

Thanks for the link! I have been looking for a copy of this for a long time. Previous to this, I had never found one that was priced reasonably. I have a copy ordered!

I have read A Sand County Almanac several times. I also like A Hunter's Road and The Sporting Road, by Jim Fergus. I was out of the pheasant hunting game for a long time. When I got back into it, I found A Pheasant Hunter's Notebook, by Larry Brown, to be quite informative. I have also read a lot of Gene Hill's books. I am currently reading Tears and Laughter. I picked up a copy of Pheasant's of the Mind a few weeks ago, but haven't found the time to read it yet.

I feel a little ashamed to admit that I had never heard of Gordon Macquarrie before opening this thread. I suppose I will have to check into his books. Threads like these always end up costing me money. I justify it by knowing (hoping) my boys will appreciate the books the same way I do when they get older.

Back