Bloody Testicles

Kevlar jock strap might work? As far as the studies for medical issues, genetics, genetics and more genetics. Those studies were breed specific mainly retrievers, nothing for setters and many other hunting breeds. Many shelters neuter dogs less than four months, more health issues??
A study just identified that ACL issues were 65% genetic and 35% environmental (overweight, very early neutering, etc.) in Labradors and testing is now offered at University of Wisconsin. Again study the genetics in your particular breed and weigh the pros and cons.
I'm not saying to neuter or not. But I hope you don't think what a shelter does is solid advice for a responsible pet owner....

My dogs nuts tends to get pretty beat up and bloody nearly every time out. I’ve let them fully heal countless times but he’s a bottle rocket going through the grass and I don’t imagine that’ll change anytime soon.. Wondering if anyone has a good method to avoid this other than fixing my dog.. really no interest in doing that as I’ve heard of enough issues happening after they’re removed.. it doesn’t slow him down whatsoever nor does he appear to be in pain, but I can’t imagine it’s pain free and it sucks to look at.
He looks like a hard charger! I like that in a dog

My buddy's GSP will get a raw sack after a couple decent outings in tall & think cover, but not to the point of bloody flanks. I am really hoping it was more of an injury under there as you eluded to, not from running past the point of raw, that would be just mean and selfish. I hope he is feeling/looking better now.

On the point of neutering's, my vet told me, without me asking about it, to wait until they are 4-5 years old to do that, I can't quite remember what he thought needed to develop that long in the dog with them intact.

My buddy's GSP will get a raw sack after a couple decent outings in tall & think cover, but not to the point of bloody flanks. I am really hoping it was more of an injury under there as you eluded to, not from running past the point of raw, that would be just mean and selfish. I hope he is feeling/looking better now.

On the point of neutering's, my vet told me, without me asking about it, to wait until they are 4-5 years old to do that, I can't quite remember what he thought needed to develop that long in the dog with them intact.
Oh yeah, a little cut which resulted in a LOT of blood.. it was his first time out in about two weeks, definitely not due to running him into the ground. Probably more-so due to having him rest up for two weeks from a foot injury and being wayyy too juiced up to finally hunt. He’s babied beyond belief, hate that people think I’d ever put my hunting over his health..

And the not neutering thing has been recommended by my vet too.. she said there’s no reason to deprive a male dog of testosterone unless it’s absolutely necessary as she says it’s important in numerous bodily functions and development in general.

He’s back to 110% but we’re going to hold off on hunting until SD next week.

We were a couple miles from the car when it happened… it was a scrape and you couldn’t find it with a microscope if you looked now, it isn’t as if I realized it and hunted him until he bled out and then carried him home. But thank you for the concern.

As far as issues with fixing him.. it’s been shown in some studies to increase the risk for hip dysplasia, ACL tears, various tumors, etc... I figure, if I keep him intact and in theory can avoid these types of things, it can’t hurt..

Take the 25 minutes and watch this video. I believe in neutering and spaying if there is no plans to breed. As someone who neutered my male too soon, this video made so much sense to me. I only wish I had found it before I moved forward with the neutering.

The visual tends to be worse the what is actually going on, my dogs often cut their tongues in the grouse woods and you would think they have a gash on their head or neck, just alot of blood. The same can be said for my setters tail it gets beat up during grouse season and a few time has opened up in the house, then we get a version of Jackson Pollock painting, wife doesn't appreciate my humor. I would second the Desitin recommendation not only as a coating agent but will help heal the abrasions.

My Springer had an issue with his scrotum getting rubbed raw by the grass. Generally healed quickly. One day I noticed it was swollen. Apparently had gotten infected and we had to have an emergency surgery done. If you dog has a bleeding issues I would certainly do him a favor and neuter him before something really traumatic happens to him.
My Springer has not changed in any way since I had it done and he was 5 years old. Still a flat out hard charger. If anything he hunts just as hard the second day as he isn’t hampered by pain.

I think in some cases that refusing to have a dog neutered is a Macho thing. The owner feels like having his dog neutered is like having his own testicles removed! :)

I'm not saying to neuter or not. But I hope you don't think what a shelter does is solid advice for a responsible pet owner....
What a shelter does just might be solid advice for an irresponsible pet owner. That is what keeps shelters in business.
Has anyone ever seen a study on the health issues related to early neutering of mixed breed dogs? As I stated, the study from U of Wisconsin identified genetic and environmental factors. We should be able to minimize genetic issues thru breeding. We have the science to get it done.

The visual tends to be worse the what is actually going on, my dogs often cut their tongues in the grouse woods and you would think they have a gash on their head or neck, just alot of blood. The same can be said for my setters tail it gets beat up during grouse season and a few time has opened up in the house, then we get a version of Jackson Pollock painting, wife doesn't appreciate my humor. I would second the Desitin recommendation not only as a coating agent but will help heal the abrasions.
First time my dog bite its tongue or cut it fetching plastic bumpers it was a lot of blood and I was quite worried. Now I’ll do a couple more retrieves and then call it. I think the plastic knobs that pull out cause if when she cigar holds it.

Back