Bloody Testicles

My dogs nuts tends to get pretty beat up and bloody nearly every time out. I’ve let them fully heal countless times but he’s a bottle rocket going through the grass and I don’t imagine that’ll change anytime soon.. Wondering if anyone has a good method to avoid this other than fixing my dog.. really no interest in doing that as I’ve heard of enough issues happening after they’re removed.. it doesn’t slow him down whatsoever nor does he appear to be in pain, but I can’t imagine it’s pain free and it sucks to look at.

Attachments

• F25A0F7C-6A01-429A-9598-7F1D9528561F.jpeg
    F25A0F7C-6A01-429A-9598-7F1D9528561F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 57
I would crack a joke, but that doesn't look funny! Maybe modify a good dog vest to go back farther. The added material might not have to actually cover his nuts, maybe deflect enough to help. I've never seen it that bad.

It’s never been THIS bad before.. but we were pretty far from the car when we noticed it so it got worse and worse. I’m thinking some kind of body suit might be what we need..?

Attachments

• 4E17777A-0A07-4089-AE4E-4304F1CA66DE.jpeg
    4E17777A-0A07-4089-AE4E-4304F1CA66DE.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 4
Let him keep hunting in that condition and he might neuter himself. The down side of "enough issues happening" ???? He could become anemic if he bleeds excessively. C'mon man

I had a male Springer that this happened to occasionally, usually when it was really cold out. I know my dogs go to the bathroom often while hunting so not sure if a full body suit would be the answer. In my experience, neutering hasn't had any negative effects on the male dogs I've had. Talk to your vet and get his/her honest opinion. Otherwise you might be able to coat his sack in vaseline before hunting to see if that helps.

I neuter my dogs, & this is one reason why. Unless your dog is well bred (on PAPER!!) with a pedigree that seriously makes him a potential stud for other serious, conscientious breeders, I'd recommend getting him fixed. Otherwise, I've used Musher's Secret on them. It's a little embarrassing for you & the dog to apply it, but you get past that. It helps. A little. Maybe.

I neuter my dogs, & this is one reason why. Unless your dog is well bred (on PAPER!!) with a pedigree that seriously makes him a potential stud for other serious, conscientious breeders, I'd recommend getting him fixed. Otherwise, I've used Musher's Secret on them. It's a little embarrassing for you & the dog to apply it, but you get past that. It helps. A little. Maybe.
I agree. I think the benefits of neutering out way the risks. But if you insist on not, Mushers might help some, but the only other fix is some kind of protector. I would be careful applying the with the mushers. With the friends I got, I would wind up on tic toc!!

Let him keep hunting in that condition and he might neuter himself. The down side of "enough issues happening" ???? He could become anemic if he bleeds excessively. C'mon man
We were a couple miles from the car when it happened… it was a scrape and you couldn’t find it with a microscope if you looked now, it isn’t as if I realized it and hunted him until he bled out and then carried him home. But thank you for the concern.

As far as issues with fixing him.. it’s been shown in some studies to increase the risk for hip dysplasia, ACL tears, various tumors, etc... I figure, if I keep him intact and in theory can avoid these types of things, it can’t hurt..

Kevlar jock strap might work? As far as the studies for medical issues, genetics, genetics and more genetics. Those studies were breed specific mainly retrievers, nothing for setters and many other hunting breeds. Many shelters neuter dogs less than four months, more health issues??
A study just identified that ACL issues were 65% genetic and 35% environmental (overweight, very early neutering, etc.) in Labradors and testing is now offered at University of Wisconsin. Again study the genetics in your particular breed and weigh the pros and cons.

found a thread on Huntingpa.com dealing with this. Much the same responses, but the OP on this site followed up with this:

"As a follow up, a liberal coating of Desitin before taking him out seems to be working better than any thing else I have tried. He is in the house so I only apply just before leaving the truck to hunt and by the time we are finished most of it is gone and what is left is not greasy."

Best wishes.

Kevlar jock strap might work? As far as the studies for medical issues, genetics, genetics and more genetics. Those studies were breed specific mainly retrievers, nothing for setters and many other hunting breeds. Many shelters neuter dogs less than four months, more health issues??
A study just identified that ACL issues were 65% genetic and 35% environmental (overweight, very early neutering, etc.) in Labradors and testing is now offered at University of Wisconsin. Again study the genetics in your particular breed and weigh the pros and cons.
What studies are you looking at? I’m genuinely curious.. personally the study linked below is enough for me to have a dog with some bloody nuts every once in a while until we can find a decent solution. Either way, you seem overly pro-nut snipping.

How often are you hunting that dog? Give him a break, that just seem cruel to me. Is that about a 2 week thing to full heal?...it sure isn't a 3 or 4 day deal bleeding out like that. A raw looking sack is one thing, this is way past that. Ask your vet what you should be doing for the dog after you have worked him until that happens, guessing you get an earful.

My dogs nuts tends to get pretty beat up and bloody nearly every time out. I’ve let them fully heal countless times but he’s a bottle rocket going through the grass and I don’t imagine that’ll change anytime soon.. Wondering if anyone has a good method to avoid this other than fixing my dog.. really no interest in doing that as I’ve heard of enough issues happening after they’re removed.. it doesn’t slow him down whatsoever nor does he appear to be in pain, but I can’t imagine it’s pain free and it sucks to look at
Cut a tail hole in some kids Superman underwear and turn him loose, tape it up to fit. Not a fix but keeps him in the game. Pictures optional!

How often are you hunting that dog? Give him a break, that just seem cruel to me. Is that about a 2 week thing to full heal?...it sure isn't a 3 or 4 day deal bleeding out like that. A raw looking sack is one thing, this is way past that. Ask your vet what you should be doing for the dog after you have worked him until that happens, guessing you get an earful.
He’s been on the IR for about a week with a raw pad on his back foot.. he’s been hunting twice this week and this is the first time he’s been bleeding or close to it. When we got home you couldn’t even see where he nicked himself down there. My vet told me a few weeks ago that those parts heal pretty quick and that the Vetericyn I spray on it is as good as anything she could give me. It’s never been even close to this bad, but from time to time it’s noticeable.

Don’t know if this would solve the problem but it might be a place to start and then make some modifications. It’s pretty much the jock idea.

The idea behind it is to keep male dogs from marking in the house and on the furniture.

So you would probably have to see if it could shift further aft. Might not work though.

As far as issues with fixing him.. it’s been shown in some studies to increase the risk for hip dysplasia, ACL tears, various tumors, etc... I figure, if I keep him intact and in theory can avoid these types of things, it can’t hurt..
I think most of the issues in spay/neuter are due to having it done in young dogs before they are fully developed. If you don't intend to breed your dog then having him fixed seems like the logical choice. I agree with some previous posts that the benefits of fixing him far outweigh the risks. I know a lot of fixed males that lived long and healthy lives.

There's absolutely no reason not to neuter a dog (or spay one if you ask me) when done properly and at the right time, unless you intend to breed the dog. There isn't a vet out there that would advise you to "keep hunting the dog with the risk of bloody testicles" either.

He’s been on the IR for about a week with a raw pad on his back foot.. he’s been hunting twice this week and this is the first time he’s been bleeding or close to it. When we got home you couldn’t even see where he nicked himself down there. My vet told me a few weeks ago that those parts heal pretty quick and that the Vetericyn I spray on it is as good as anything she could give me. It’s never been even close to this bad, but from time to time it’s noticeable.
How old is the dog? There are also issues that can arise em keeping an intact male with no intention of breeding in the future.

There's absolutely no reason not to neuter a dog (or spay one if you ask me) when done properly and at the right time, unless you intend to breed the dog. There isn't a vet out there that would advise you to "keep hunting the dog with the risk of bloody testicles" either.
I don't understand, are you sayin that all vets would recommend a dog should not be hunted due to the risk of bloody testicles? I am pretty sure any dog with testicles is at risk of them getting bloodied.

Back