BLIZZARD Birds!

nstric

As I've aged, I usually hunt smarter. Today I hunted harder.

Were season's end not upon us, I'd have elected to stay within the comfort of my home today. But given Saturday is close, my buddy and I elected to keep our plans as is and head up towards Fonda. I'm glad we did!

So many stories to share, and I need to get my workout in, so the highlights:

- Four fields hunted.
- 30 birds was the LEAST amount seen in any field.
- 60+ were seen in one field.
- WILD flushes!
- We're estimating over 150 birds were seen in total today.
- So many rabbits . . . and I finally decided to shoot one (my first).
- Birds in cover, ditches, open fields, the middle of the roads, etc.
- A number of second year birds taken.
- These were the most BRUTAL hunting conditions I've ever ventured out within (steady 40+mph winds, gusts to near 50mph, whiteouts, can't see, can't hear, deep snow, TIRED legs, cold dogs, etc.)

All this stated . . . it was a very rewarding hunt. God rewards those that put in the extra effort.

So how should I cook up this rabbit? I have him quartered and soaking in a water, white vinegar, onion, and basil leaf mixture right now.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv34893%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D3744999844338nu0mrj

Awsome day! I used to hunt south central Iowa , would like to try it again some day. Those rabbits have little loins in them on each side of the spine. Some of the best wild meat you can get!

No fat to speak of on rabbit. Dip in egg, roll in cracker crumbs, fry in cast iron fry pan, turning mid-way. Plain seasoning.

Great results, but tough day.

:thumbsup:

Great day for a hunt! If I wasn't working, I would have been in the field. :) Pretty birdies. ;)

Now that's a hunt you'll remember all off season! :cheers:

Checking in . . . the rabbit was very good! My kids in particular enjoyed it. Thanks for the tips on prep and cooking!

Sounds like a great day. Are you sure you needed a workout after a hunt like that?
More of a mental than physical need, no doubt. I've lifted consistently since age 13, and I'm 40 now. I do powerlifting and am in the midst of a program that requires 6 days of heavy lifting and one day of cardio per week. It, lifting and competing, is my *only* release once bird season closes.

Back