Blaze Orange Requirements in MN

PeasantHunter

Howdy folks,
We are going back to SW MN for another wild pheasant hunt this Nov 5-18, part of which will have us there for a few days of deer season. Will be hunting public, private and CRP lands.

The Blaze requirements for deer season include SOLID blaze over the ENTIRE upper body, kinda ruling out traditional blaze/TAN vests and upland shirts.

Does anyone have experience with how lenient the rules may be regarding the Solid/Entire thing? We always wear plenty of upper body Blaze/Tan, just not sure if I need to buy new solid blaze equipment??

Appreciate any input!

PeasantHunter

Here is was the 2016 regulations say:

During Firearms Deer Season:

The visible portion of a person's cap and outer clothing above the waist (excluding sleeves and gloves) must be blaze orange.

I think if you have a blaze orange cap and a fair amount of blaze orange on your upper body you will be fine. I've hunted SW Minnesota for many years and never had an issue.

Here in Wisconsin I think the regulation states at least 50% above the waist. My older vest had blaze, but like many, it was definitely not 50%. So to make sure I was compliant, I added the orange vest whenever we had a deer season in progress. But as we added youth seasons, muzzleloader seasons, holiday seasons, there was almost always a requirement for blaze. So I broke down and just moved to all blaze on my coat, hat, and vest. Now I dont have to worry. Much easier. Also got me to investigate the "pack" style vests. Found an LL Bean
Technical vest for cheap. Best move I ever did.

Thanks for the replies, all reasonable approaches. Not trying to make something intuitive too complicated, but game laws can be sticky.

Appreciate y'alls views, let's all have a great season!

PH

I wear a cheapo Walmart $5 solid blaze vest over my normal upland vest during the gun deer season. Alternatively, you may wear blaze pink since the legislature passed that this year :p. I do know of someone who got ticketed for wearing the normal upland vest so it's advisable to just cover your bases.

From the regs:
The visible portion of at least one item of a cap and one item of outer clothing above the waist, excluding sleeves and gloves, must be blaze orange when hunting or trapping during any open season where deer may be taken by firearms (including special hunts, early antlerless, youth seasons and muzzleloader). Blaze orange includes a camouflage pattern of at least 50 percent blaze orange within each square foot.

Back