Black Cloud for Pheasant

Hiltonkv

First time going on a pheasant hunt. I use Black cloud #2 for all my waterfowl hunting and was wondering if it would be a good option for pheasant also or if I should go to #3 or #4. Thanks for all the advice.

I personally use 5s and 6s but I know people use 4s. I'll occasionally go with 4s during later season when birds are jumpier and I'm taking longer shots.

Unless you're hunting where non toxic is required, I would skip the steel and just use lead or bismuth as it's a more lethal load.

First time going on a pheasant hunt. I use Black cloud #2 for all my waterfowl hunting and was wondering if it would be a good option for pheasant also or if I should go to #3 or #4. Thanks for all the advice.
This is a good question. Do you have to shoot nontoxic shot? If no, then go get a couple boxes of 1 1/8oz of #6 lead from Walmart and go get some birds!

I have to use nontoxic for where I am hunting. Seen lots of nontoxic options and just don’t know where to go and would like to stick with a shell I trust
If you gotta use non-toxic, those steel #2 duck loads should be pretty decent. I shoot bismuth when I have to use non-toxic, but if I was gonna use steel I wouldn't go smaller than #2 and I'd want 1 & 1/4 oz.

I have to use nontoxic for where I am hunting. Seen lots of nontoxic options and just don’t know where to go and would like to stick with a shell I trust
In that case I think you'd be fine with the Black Clouds if that's what you have on hand already. I used them for a couple years (I shot # 3s) awhile back and shot really well with them. But have since gravitated back to lead or bismuth when I need a non toxic option.

I have to use non toxic where I do most of my hunting and I have had good performance from Blackcloud #3 in 1/4 ounce. I used to go with a cheaper steel in the same shot and had too many runners. Since switching to Blackcloud, more times than not they are laying where they landed.

Like others have already said, use what you have and are comfortable with at first. Once you get bitten by the upland bug, you will find yourself gravitating to Boss bismuth. It performs really well for me and I can shoot it in my vintage guns.

I have to use non toxic where I do most of my hunting and I have had good performance from Blackcloud #3 in 1/4 ounce. I used to go with a cheaper steel in the same shot and had too many runners. Since switching to Blackcloud, more times than not they are laying where they landed.
I love your avatar picture...

It is a great, non-toxic shell for pheasants. 3" #2 Black Cloud is all I shot at pheasants for many years, until I switched to bismuth a couple years ago.

Back