Black Cloud for Pheasant

If you have to use non-toxic shot, IMO 2';s are the way to go. If you can use lead, I recommend 4's but will use 5's in early season.

Black Cloud and it's lead twin Prairie Storm work great, but because of the Flite Stopper wad they shoot very tight (I suspect steel BC not so much as lead PS) As has been pointed out, use an IC or Light Mod choke (I like LM all season with all lead loads). There are lots of folks here who can attest to destroying roosters (can't be recovered to eat) by centering them with PS at 20-25 yds, and I'm one of them...

Something to consider is that flight control wad likes no choke, often the more open the choke the tighter the pattern. I used to shoot IC for 40-50yd goose pattern when I shot black cloud, when i tightened to Mod it opened up significantly, and full was like throwing a handful of shot at the board. Opposite of normal wads. I havent done a lot of work with prairie storm, but my lead coyote load in flight control wad is the same way. Those wads confuse more hunters than they help IMO

Last edited:
Something to consider is that flight stopper wad likes no choke, often the more open the choke the tighter the pattern. I used to shoot IC for 40-50yd goose pattern when I shot black cloud, when i tightened to Mod it opened up significantly, and full was like throwing a handful of shot at the board. Opposite of normal wads. I havent done a lot of work with prairie storm, but my lead coyote load in flightstopper wad is the same way. Those wads confuse more hunters than they help IMO
I was just about to ask you about that. I bought a box of the Scheels branded federal bismuth #5s . I’m hoping it throws about a 65% percent pattern at 30 as opposed to 95%. I’m getting ready to go pattern it now am going to start with light mod and hope it ends there.

I was just about to ask you about that. I bought a box of the Scheels branded federal bismuth #5s . I’m hoping it throws about a 65% percent pattern at 30 as opposed to 95%. I’m getting ready to go pattern it now am going to start with light mod and hope it ends there.

95% of bismuth 5s at 30 yards, wont need to get out the grinder to make bacon ranch pheasant burgers 😀

I didnt even know federal was making bismuth shells in the flight control flex wad, but I see they are on sale for $35/box plus another $5 rebate which is a great price for factory bismuth shells!

I couldn't even begin to guess how that shell would pattern, im guessing pretty tight considering the shot will be fully contained in that tough wad and bismuth really likes that.

95% of bismuth 5s at 30 yards, wont need to get out the grinder to make bacon ranch pheasant burgers 😀

I didnt even know federal was making bismuth shells in the flight control flex wad, but I see they are on sale for $35/box plus another $5 rebate which is a great price for factory bismuth shells!

I couldn't even begin to guess how that shell would pattern, im guessing pretty tight considering the shot will be fully contained in that tough wad and bismuth really likes that.
I want it loose! Kent #4 bismuth patterned at 90% percent through light mod at 30 for me. That’s way too tight for 5 days into the season with a chance at quail.
The scheels federals rang up at 30 for me. I only bought one box of them.

Back