Bittersweet

View attachment 9688View attachment 9689View attachment 9690A bittersweet day. We hadn’t planned to hunt today. The winds were forecast to be outrageous. They weren’t. Since Pheasant Acres will be on the market in a couple months, Mo and I decided to take one last out the back door hunt with Jazzy J. Pads is on Injured Reserve. We love being able to do this and will truly miss it. We saw dozens and dozens of birds. Mostly at a distance. Very cool though. Only a couple played French Brittany games. One as we entered the “battlefield” and one as we exited. A nearly perfect way to end our last hunting season at Pheasant Acres. The only thing that would have made it better is if we would have seen the ghost that observed us when we first moved in. Good whiskey and rooster pâté from the last two Pheasant Acres birds for us.

Hey all, yep another year gone by. Not the best year in the books, won't comment why, that's been covered here a lot! But we were able to get out. Yesterday, I managed a rooster that we couldn't find, he sailed off dropped about a 1/4 mile away, but alas, he was lost! We've been seeing a lot of hens, good sign. The roosters were on the wild side, wouldn't hold point or flushed wild. Today for some reason, all we saw were hens and only a couple roosters. I did manage one lone Hun, so the last day wasn't a total bust. Just want to thank the good Lord and St Hubert for a safe season, I hope I'll be able to do it again next season!

From today, my 16ga FN and Hun

troawdY.jpg

Addie getting the bird

H2LMQi2.jpg

My son Jim at the end of a push

34tTzC8.jpg

Best to all of you!

Greg

It was a weird year. I figure that I hunted maybe 40% of the places I normally hunt. Water and unharvested crops were the reasons. Definitely shot way fewer roosters than an average year but still almost hit the century mark. Sharptails were hard to find but enough for several good meals are in the freezer. Huns were a pleasant surprise. They seemed to be everywhere...not late 80s everywhere but plentiful. Probably shot about double what my average is.

I really like your tri-colored French Brittany , thanks for sharing your season with us , hoping for good hatch and falvorable weather for next year .

Glad to here the Huns are Oman upward trend !!!

Will agree with the weird year but definitely a surprising one. Huns seem to be on the rebound for sure. More roosters than last year but spread out because of standing crops. Could be a good rebound year with a good hatch next year. Could not believe how a standing wheat field next to a row crop field could hold birds definitely a fun time.

Thanks. She is a really good hunter. Just 5. Pads, our youngster, did really well for a pup just turning 9 months in a few weeks. At this point the weather conditions are good and there is a ton of available food...wheat, corn and flowers. The hun boom caught me by surprise.View attachment 9693

There were a couple standing wheat fields that I had the required landowner permission to hunt unharvested crops. Definitely productive.

View attachment 9688View attachment 9689View attachment 9690A bittersweet day. We hadn’t planned to hunt today. The winds were forecast to be outrageous. They weren’t. Since Pheasant Acres will be on the market in a couple months, Mo and I decided to take one last out the back door hunt with Jazzy J. Pads is on Injured Reserve. We love being able to do this and will truly miss it. We saw dozens and dozens of birds. Mostly at a distance. Very cool though. Only a couple played French Brittany games. One as we entered the “battlefield” and one as we exited. A nearly perfect way to end our last hunting season at Pheasant Acres. The only thing that would have made it better is if we would have seen the ghost that observed us when we first moved in. Good whiskey and rooster pâté from the last two Pheasant Acres birds for us.

Where are you moving?

Not far. Into Dickinson proper. My wife’s family has some health issues that will be easier to deal with living in town. Gonna miss this place when we sell it.

Back