Bird Counts

When do the folks at Fish and Wildlife post the results of their bird counts for this season? Where will I be able to find it?

Thanks.

Drought conditions were the causal factor per GFP...bird count down 45% statewide...number of broods counted down 44%...size of average brood down 16%...# of roosters counted the same as last year...# of hens down 35%...FWIW....FUN NONETHELESS!!!!

Last edited:
Wow! I hate to be right but it's down close to 50% for Aberdeen. Our farmer said they were seeing "No Broods" and advised us to not come unless we were coming for the comerodity. This sucks!

That's just Dismal. Worst numbers I have seen in many, many years. :mad:

I predict there will be many groups who cancel after seeing these survey results.

So this was the first year I was coming to South Dakota. I was heading to Eureka area. Based on numbers it doesn't look good is it still worth going? Should I try to focus on another area like Mitchell or should I look at another state like Kansas. Would sharpies be down like pheasant? I am coming from PA so figure even a bad year must be better than PA

We been hunting the Eureka area for years. Last year was tough, and if it's down 50% from that ouch is all I can say.

I guess I will need to see what the other states are reporting. I hate to pass. Just out of curiosity when a condition is bad what kind of numbers would you expect to see per mile of hunting On public land?

Well it all depends. This year with letting areas being grazed, and hayed it will focus the hunters all to less habitat. With fewer birds they will receive more pressure, and after getting pushed out / shot at a couple times they will find a private fence line to call home. It's common for the public land birds to spend the whole day out in fields/ marginal cover where you can't get close to them, only returning to the public grass at dusk. So miles walked to in range shots can be poor. I know it's not the answer your looking for, but there are too many variables especially weather conditions to give a number.

Back