Votes: 16 29.6%
  • less then average

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • same as always

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • can not be sure

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
I've been reading the post & comments most guys are not seeing amounts of birds like we thought we would a few guys are doing good out side of "pay to play or private lands" so I just thought I'd run a poll to see what we all think I guess...

I'm on the side of the road counts were correct wear I hunted 29% ez down but temps were crazy hot all 5 days we hunted still did not see birds driving around seen 100s last 3-4 years any way I don't think my group I took out to SD will use there 2nd 5 day hunt period hunting was that much of a let down...

I think another interesting addition to the poll would public or private land hunted. Last time I hunted private was in 2012 and saw hundreds of birds each day hunting. Since then been hunting only public, guy would stayed with and arranged our hunt stopped in 2012.

I typically make my first trip the first week of November and last season temps and moisture were provided for more bird contacts for our five days. This year I didn't have near the bird contacts I think in large part because of the high temps and dryness, hunt solo in November and had a tremendous rooster to hen ratio, but birds were in every type of cover. Bird contacts down this year but did manage my limit every day. Will be heading back out between Christmas and New Years with my son, last time I hunted in December was 2012 as well and had bitter cold, subzero temps. Hoping for "normal" December winter and a great hunt.

I voted less than average just for total bird contacts, birds harvested would same as always.

I am not sure what average is but it is better than last year but not as good as 10 years ago.

I've only been going since 2013 this year was 1st time I went a hole day with out fireing a gun shot in SD that happened 3 days total outta 5 for me & I covered more miles then anyone in my party of 6... Nobody shot a limit in 5 days of hunting 100% public land...

My bird contacts way way down also that why I asking gotta see if others had same hunt ... We hunted Nov 9 - nov 13...

Last edited:
I voted "same as always", and at the risking of being too verbose, I'll clarify. I hunt all public land, usually alone with my dog, occasionally with one buddy and his dog. Not to sound like an a-hole, but I don't miss very often & Buzz loses very few birds. So I don't need to see very many roosters to be "successful". For a while, we were off to a TREMENDOUS season, but it's slowed down considerably the last 2-3 weeks. I think it's because there's so little snow, and the roosters still have all the options they had in October - only a December bird is WAY smarter. I've shot 35 birds in 16 outings, not including 1 lost. I for sure haven't had to work as hard for them as last year, but probably about average. I don't keep close track of how long I hunt each day, but it's commonly in the 1.5-2.5 hour range. I think it's fair to estimate that for the season I'm taking about 50 minutes per bird. Up until mid November, I'm guessing the ave was more like 35 min/bird.

The areas I hunt can be described roughly as 3 vacinities. I'll say this about them. Salem-Spencer area: seem to be a few more birds than last year. Colman-Sinai area: definitely fewer birds than last year. Howard-Ramona area: verdict is still out.

Last edited:
Id have to say, for the land that I hunt east river, its better than last year.For the land West river, Id have to say its considerably less than any year ever. For the sake of conversation, this is private land.

What I will also say, is that in my travels between hunts, Id say its the least amount of birds Ive ever seen on the roads, whether that means dead or alive. It takes 8 miles to drive about a piece of ground I can hunt (3 quarters) near Presho. In years past, it was not uncommon to see 10 to 30 pheasants any time you wanted to make the 8 mile drive., Ive been there at least 4 times this year, with two of them at sunrise (I like to watch the prairie come to life) and once at sunset. I think I can honestly say, I have not seen one pheasant on any of the trips in the ditch. This is discouraging, to me.

On Saturday, driving down I 90, a mile east of Kimball, there were 8 or ten roosters sitting in a tree, and more flying up as I went by. This lone tree sat in a very small patch of kochia.

The weather has been a huge factor so far this year. Up till today, they havent needed any protection from the weather. Hunting pointing dogs, the last place you will find me, is trucking thru a cattail slough. It just doesnt seem to fit my style. When I owned labs years ago, it was a staple to my arsenal.

Im not going to vote, because the verdict is still out for me..

Id have to say, for the land that I hunt east river, its better than last year.For the land West river, Id have to say its considerably less than any year ever. For the sake of conversation, this is private land.

What I will also say, is that in my travels between hunts, Id say its the least amount of birds Ive ever seen on the roads, whether that means dead or alive. It takes 8 miles to drive about a piece of ground I can hunt (3 quarters) near Presho. In years past, it was not uncommon to see 10 to 30 pheasants any time you wanted to make the 8 mile drive., Ive been there at least 4 times this year, with two of them at sunrise (I like to watch the prairie come to life) and once at sunset. I think I can honestly say, I have not seen one pheasant on any of the trips in the ditch. This is discouraging, to me.

On Saturday, driving down I 90, a mile east of Kimball, there were 8 or ten roosters sitting in a tree, and more flying up as I went by. This lone tree sat in a very small patch of kochia.

The weather has been a huge factor so far this year. Up till today, they havent needed any protection from the weather. Hunting pointing dogs, the last place you will find me, is trucking thru a cattail slough. It just doesnt seem to fit my style. When I owned labs years ago, it was a staple to my arsenal.

Im not going to vote, because the verdict is still out for me..

I agree weather was not on our side this season hunt wise birds were so spread out maid hunting tuff plus hot dry weather... In mn its a wet mess in SD dry lakes & borderline drought it seemed in many areas birds are really hit or miss in asking locals...

The hole not seeing birds driving around really was a downer for my group my father can't walk with the group any longer so I was hoping for ditch birds for him we only ran into a few of them birds & he managed 2. Birds he did miss a few but was real bummer chance wise for my dad on the 5 day SD hunt I was mad I told him he'd get more chances in 5 days...

2 of us hunted NE SD and SE ND last week of Oct. And last week of Nov. We havehunted this area since 2000. First where there was no new growth cattails the birds we scarce. In ND we hunt private with lots of potholes with some water and saw multiple 50-75 bird flushes. My thoughts are if there is no water to grow cattail ,not much for chicks.

Agree 100% with previous posters. Numbers seem to be very similar to last year, at least in SE SD, but the last 3 weeks or so have been increasingly difficult. Younger birds have been harvested, no cold weather to bunch the remaining birds up and still quite a bit of unharvested corn if you can believe that. I saw more hunters out last Sunday than I have all year. 50 degree weather will do that. My observations are based solely on hunting public ground. Still having a blast!

I vote 'the same'. I may shoot a few more birds this year but that has more to do with better shooting and my dog being in his 3rd season.

I shot a limit last weekend on public when I wasn't even really trying to. I was hoping others would get the shots but they just happened to be near me.

After the first week or so when all the crops were still in I haven't at least had a couple shots in a day. I've probably shot more birds on public but the time on private has been more productive.

Tim

Besides it being frickin hot the hunting was great. 1,000% better than CA by my best estimates.

Back