Better Day Today For Birds

gjw

Hey all, today was a 180 from last weeks opener. I decided to hit a couple of my honey holes and it payed off. Got a limit of Grouse, plus a bonus Hun. Weather was much better, overcast, 50 and lower winds. My GSP Raina did well also, happy with her! All in all a good day!

I was using my 16b Charles Boswell

Best,

Greg

Last edited:
Very nice! My friend from MN is in the Bismarck area grouse hunting now. He reported to me that the cows have all the fields mowed to the ground and things are not going well. Our group of 5 have a trip planned for early November to the SW corner. I'm in heavy debate to call it off, not because of the low bird counts but rather I'm scared we will have trouble finding suitable public land to hunt. I'm hoping for feedback. Any would be much appreciated as it's a long drive and two guys in our group are flying into MN to drive out with us. I'm checking this forum daily looking for reports.

Thats awesome! Ill take 3 grouse and a hun any day and call it a success!! Hoping to get my young GSP into a few!!

I hunted in mott area last nov.We hunted areas that you had to pay to hunt
The public areas Within 30 Miles Of Mott Were Terrible Last Year(no cover)
This Year Must Be Worst.If I was Going This Year I Would Plan To Pay To Hunt.I Am Going To Kansas This Year More Areas To Hunt But Less Birds
PM Me i sill Give you a couple Of Tel # To Call if You Want To Pay To Hunt
Jim

Thanks guys for all the kind words. I was going to go yesterday, but one of my kids had car troubles, so it was a wash!

Hey Byrdoglvr, while out chasing grouse, I haven't seen many ringnecks. The area I hunt did hold ringnecks, but I saw very few, much lower numbers than in past years. The landowners have cut back a lot of prime territory for hay. I've also seen cows grazing in areas that they never were in before. Very tough times here for ranchers. A lot of the corn has been cut for silage. In some areas where I've passed by it's a bleak landscape, no grass or cover. I've also seen some of the PLOTS hayed also. Doesn't look good this year. It's going to be a tough season....unless you hit area that hasn't been hayed or grazed.

Thanks again folks!

Greg

Back