Best Vest EVER!!!

A5 Sweet 16

I wish I had a 1/2 box of bismuth for every time the vest question has come up.
All the modern, techy "vests" with all their bells & whistles sure are intriguing.
But for the discerning pheasant nut who demands performance, but has an eye for fashion....
This is the Mount'n Prairie camo hunting vest! I bought mine in 1987 for $30 or $35. It's a little more snug now, but it still mostly fits.
I think mine is on it's 3rd zipper. But otherwise, repairs have been quite minimal, probably because it's only seen the inside of a washing machine about 3 times in 33 years. Its space-age fabric scoffs at thorns, branches, barbed wire, spurs, & anything else that would tear any lesser vest.
It's carried so much dead stuff, it practically loads itself. The shell loops are stupid, but the huge zippered pockets more than make up for it.
And rather than let all the heat out & cold air in, the 1987 MP vest is actually a layer of clothing, totally adequate for keeping 30 mph winds from whistling through your core.
The vintage camo pattern makes it useful for doves & waterfowl as well; not limited to upland bird hunting. Blaze orange belongs on hats & caps.
Finally, the handy little inside pocket keeps exactly 2 "normal" uses worth of soft, sturdy paper towel safe & dry, right where you won't forget it.
So now you know. Keep your eyes peeled at garage sales, ebay, & other online marketplaces. Truth...I saw one once at an antique shop near Milford, IA. I'd have bought it, but it was like XXXL & didn't fit me at all. My daughters thought my trying it on & modeling it in the store was pretty cool though.:LOL:
These pics clearly demonstrate its fashionable, retro style. It's a little hard to tell, but the 1 pic does actually show my vest with 3 roosters inside. (otherwise I wouldn't take a selfie of my back, right?)
You're probably all pretty jealous now. My vest, of course, is not for sale. But I'd consider an offer that's not too insulting.
20201101_164054.jpg
20201128_161944.jpg
m_5dc2cc7efe19c7d823208513.jpeg

Last edited:
Certain things you buy just fit and work. Maybe put some elastic on the zipper next time you replace the zipper lol. Here's a link for one on Ebay:

I have a filson tin vest that's is showing age. Have to put the shells in the inner pockets, because the outer ones are developing holes. Like you, I love the simplicity of that vest. Think I paid 80 bucks for it 15 years ago. Thanks for sharing!!

I'm a big fan of my Bird n Lite vest. I don't think I'll ever have a non strap vest. I can adjust it so much that those "old school" style vests just don't compare in the fit. And I'm a believer in the "weight management" or whatever Browning calls it that transfers the weight off your shoulders to your hips. I've had that thing heavy as hell, filled with 2 gatorade bottles of water for my dogs, a bottle of water for me, a box of shells, e collar remote, and 3 roosters to top it off and I barely notice there's anything in there.

All the modern, techy "vests" with all their bells & whistles sure are intriguing.
But for the discerning pheasant nut who demands performance, but has an eye for fashion....
This is the Mount'n Prairie camo hunting vest! I bought mine in 1987 for $30 or $35. It's a little more snug now, but it still mostly fits.
I think mine is on it's 3rd zipper. But otherwise, repairs have been quite minimal, probably because it's only seen the inside of a washing machine about 3 times in 33 years. Its space-age fabric scoffs at thorns, branches, barbed wire, spurs, & anything else that would tear any lesser vest.
It's carried so much dead stuff, it practically loads itself. The shell loops are stupid, but the huge zippered pockets more than make up for it.
And rather than let all the heat out & cold air in, the 1987 MP vest is actually a layer of clothing, totally adequate for keeping 30 mph winds from whistling through your core.
The vintage camo pattern makes it useful for doves & waterfowl as well; not limited to upland bird hunting. Blaze orange belongs on hats & caps.
So now you know. Keep your eyes peeled at garage sales, ebay, & other online marketplaces. Truth...I saw one once at an antique shop near Milford, IA. I'd have bought it, but it was like XXXL & didn't fit me at all. My daughters thought my trying it on & modeling it in the store was pretty cool though.:LOL:
These pics clearly demonstrate its fashionable, retro style. It's a little hard to tell, but the 1 pic does actually show my vest with 3 roosters inside. (otherwise I wouldn't take a selfie of my back, right?)
You're probably all pretty jealous now. My vest, of course, is not for sale. But I'd consider an offer that's not too insulting.
View attachment 715
View attachment 716
View attachment 717
View attachment 715
View attachment 716
View attachment 717

Nice vest there
View attachment 715
View attachment 716
View attachment 717
Nice vest, even better dog, perfect shotgun. Is that an A-5, and if so - what would you take for it?

Strap vests for me. They work great for layering to suit the changing weather.

Best bird vest I've ever had was a Cabela's Legacy Strap Vest. Probably bought it around '06 and I'm still using it. It's gotten a lot of wear in rough cover and I've had as many as six birds in it (bad idea; lot of strain on the strap attach points). I had a tanned elk hide from one I shot. Had a saddle maker reinforce the bottoms of the side pouches where they were wearing thin and also the strap attach points. Pretty stylish with the elk hide accents. Should have bought 3 of them as they of course discontinued them shortly after I bought it.

I have a Pella Bird Pack strap vest as a backup. It's pretty good too, almost as good as the Legacy. I keep it in the truck with only steel shot in it so when we hit the areas requiring steel I just switch vests. They've discontinued that one too.

Earlier I used Columbia vests, their Quickloader II. I still have one almost new my younger son outgrew in a Large if anyone is interested. The shell tubes worked pretty neat. Just pull on out from the bottom. Used to put 5s on one side, 7.5 on the other. Great for Pheasant & Quail areas.

columbia vest.jpg

Certain things you buy just fit and work. Maybe put some elastic on the zipper next time you replace the zipper lol. Here's a link for one on Ebay:

I have a filson tin vest that's is showing age. Have to put the shells in the inner pockets, because the outer ones are developing holes. Like you, I love the simplicity of that vest. Think I paid 80 bucks for it 15 years ago. Thanks for sharing!!
OMG!!! Mine's a medium! So that one would fit me! For at least another 30 years! If that was a large, I'd snatch it up immediately. But I think the only reason I'd have to buy it, would be in case mine were to be STOLEN by a greedy, jealous pheasant junkie. If I take your excellent suggestion & install the elasticizer, mine should fit forever.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of my Bird n Lite vest. I don't think I'll ever have a non strap vest. I can adjust it so much that those "old school" style vests just don't compare in the fit. And I'm a believer in the "weight management" or whatever Browning calls it that transfers the weight off your shoulders to your hips. I've had that thing heavy as hell, filled with 2 gatorade bottles of water for my dogs, a bottle of water for me, a box of shells, e collar remote, and 3 roosters to top it off and I barely notice there's anything in there.
I just received the same bird n lite vest, which size gatorade bottles are you using? The green squeeze bottles?

I just received the same bird n lite vest, which size gatorade bottles are you using? The green squeeze bottles?
That's them. The same ones your favorite sports star uses I ordered 2 of the 28 oz full size green squirt bottles off of Amazon. The 32 oz bottles would fit too. They fit well and snug up with the draw strings. I've only had the bottles fall out if I'm crawling through a fence and the vest is practically upside down. Otherwise they stay in place.

Another tip on the bird n lite vest. If you have an e collar, I've found the best place to put my e collar remote is on the little tabs on the main shoulder straps. Get yourself a carabineer slip a short lanyard (like a couple inches, short) hooked to your e collar onto the carabineer then clip the carabineer to the tab on your vest.

Always handy but out of the way. Gets it off of my neck (my dog whistle is the only thing around my neck) and easy disconnect when I need to charge it up or bring it in after a day of hunting. I use a carabineer that tightens down by spinning the one end so it locks closed so I can't pop it open and lose it.

Only downside with that location is if I need to run for whatever reason, like to catch up to my dog or birds flushing wild, etc. It'll kinda bounce off my chest. Otherwise it stays in place.

Have any of you thought about removing the orange shoulder padding and just having the plain strap? May give it a try so it reduces the bulkiness when shooting. May take a little bit of time but may also improve the best?

Have any of you thought about removing the orange shoulder padding and just having the plain strap? May give it a try so it reduces the bulkiness when shooting. May take a little bit of time but may also improve the best?
Hmm I've never given that a thought. The strap beneath the padding doesn't seem very wide so I'd think it may start digging into my shoulders when it's got a good bit of weight into it.

I get what you are saying, but Im thinking with the pad on the outside it's not going to be helping with the weight because it's basically just a thin sleeve that the strap runs thru and is there for recoil purposes? I'm going to look it over more before trying it but pretty sure I'm going to remove them. Actually the strap is the same width as on slot of other vests without padding. ( Orvis, filson both have the same strap without padding).

I get what you are saying, but Im thinking with the pad on the outside it's not going to be helping with the weight because it's basically just a thin sleeve that the strap runs thru and is there for recoil purposes? I'm going to look it over more before trying it but pretty sure I'm going to remove them. Actually the strap is the same width as on slot of other vests without padding. ( Orvis, filson both have the same strap without padding).
Yeah I'm not sure really. I'd be curious to see how that works out. I agree it's mostly there as a recoil pad (and to provide a little extra orange).

Yeah I'm not sure really. I'd be curious to see how that works out. I agree it's mostly there as a recoil pad (and to provide a little extra orange).
I did remove the shoulder strap pads today, personally I think it's a plus. Very easy to do with a sharp razor knife, patience and about 20 mins per side. The padding is only seen to the strap and nothing is compromised as far as the strap function. Well worth it to me.

Interesting. If I get a new vest which I've kicked around a bit for next season, I may try that with the old one. Idk if I'd like it so I don't think I can bring myself to hack up the one I use now haha

I have had 2 Filson Vests that I have worn holes in the pockets big enough for shells to fall out. Had to use a wash cloth as a plug...Love the vest, but for that kind of $, I’m looking for a different brand.

Thanks to your inspiration, I was able to find a Large on another online marketplace similar to ebay. Brand new. Straight from the 80's, possibly early 90's. Not a drop of blood on or in it....yet. $25 I should be set with the "Best Vest Ever!!" for the remainder of my hunting days.
20201214_190146.jpg

Back