Best time to mow switch?

GSP

I have a two acre strip of switch grass that is over a gas line, so I can't burn it. It is one of the best stands I have ever gotten. Very tall, thick, and it held up great to the snow this past season. This will be the fourth year for it.

I would like to burn off half of it, but I can't due to the gas line. I figure I will hit it with the flail mower and then rake off the debris. When is the best time to do this? Can I expect it to grow back enough this year to provide huntable cover?

Depends on what your goals are. If you are wanting to use the patch for nesting, you don't want to do it before the nesting season is past. If you are more interested in having huntable cover in the fall, about now might be good. If you are looking at nesting cover, you will need to remove the residue. You might want to see if someone would bale it and take the bales off in that case. The half/half plan is a good one.

Thanks PD. That's kinda what I was thinking.

I'm not really looking at it for nesting habitat. I think we have enough warm season grasses for that.

I have seen it recommended to do the mowing/burning on a 1/3 - three year rotation, though I haven't seen the details on why this is recommended. My assumption is that this would provide habitat in different stages of growth - each offering something different. Correct?

PD, sounds like GSP wnats to cut it to keep a good stand going. In this case would it be best to clip it just before the Switch comes alive? my thinking is that you would not want to release any cool season competition if you clip it too soon so maybe mid May would be ideal or even 2 weeks later??

I'm just looking for good info here as I learn how to better manage my grasses here on farm in SD.

Thanks.

Yes UGUIDE, that is exactly what I'm looking for. You bring up a very good point and iyt makes sense. However, if I wait that long, don't I run the risk of mowing a nest? We have had a very early spring in these parts.

Thank you both!

The switch should start growing sometime in the first half of April. If you can mow it about the time it is 2 inches tall with new growth, you should be in the saddle between cool season invaders and nesting. If you get into the back half of April, you may run a higher risk of nest destruction. Aw hell, tell them to move their durn gas line, there's birds to make!:)

Back