Best time to burn?

MJinMN

One of my wife's relatives has some land enrolled in CRP or CREP or a similar program. He's considering burning it this year. What's the best timing for him to do so?

I think most of MN has a burning ban now??
And I know the DNR gets excited about running fires. We mowed CPR land last year it was to dry to burn and saw to many worries with a running fire.
Maybe the fie Dept. will come and do it for you? (training)

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I believe the CRP/CREP parcel is surrounded by farmed acreage on all sides, so the potential for spreading is relatively limited at this time of year. Assuming we/they can get over any safety issues, when is the ideal time to burn?

Anytime between now and middle May. It also depends on how quickly everything greens-up, so the early the better, since wet and new growth green will not burn. Needs to be warmer,60's, low humidity and enough wind to push the fire,15 mph, from the correct direction. Push to an oil road if possible. Burn mid-day to meet the above conditions,as the evening will have the opposite conditions. Call the fire dept to inform them of a controlled burn and consider a donation to the dept. and providing the post burn beer if they will be present at the burn. Good luck!

Doesn't your CRP contract tell you the dates you are suppose to burn?

The CRP contract will have date restrictions. Earlier burns will promote forbs while later burns promote the grass and set back brush. If thatch is severe, the afternoon burn would be advised. If you're burning to improve grass, pick the species you want to promote and burn it before it has 2 inches of new growth. Generally, you want humidity over 35% and winds under 15 mph out of a consistent direction. Watch the weather, you don't want to burn with a low pressure system, ocluded front, or wind shift within 24 hours. It's best to start in the most down wind corner and back fire the 1 or 2 sides adjacent to that corner. Once the backfires are 50 yards or so wide it is safe to light into the wind on the two remaining sides and allow the headfires to run to the backfires in what could be called a ring fire. This should pull all of the fire to the middle and lift the smoke. There are other options, but you just asked about timing and I passed that quite a while ago:)

PrairieDrifter, Does this not also fall under the maintenance payment for the CRP program?

If it's a newer contract, I would think so. If it's an old one, there probably isn't one. Either way, there will be date restrictions.

If it's a newer contract, I would think so. If it's an old one, there probably isn't one. Either way, there will be date restrictions.

My understanding on the newer contracts is you get a fixed amount (like $4/ac) for annual maintenance and then a little more for the 2 mid-term mgmt years (like $12/acre for clipping and bailing). I think they would allow a burn but not sure that is would be cost shared.

Back