best steel shot size and choke 4 SD birds

blacktalon

here in indiana we use 6, 7 1/2, target loads for pheasant..we are going to Aberdeen next week, what is the best steel shot size to use and choke combination. I am going to use my winchester sx2 for the gun. any help would be great.

I have used 2 3/4" #2 in my first barrel which is improved cylinder and 3" #2 in my 2nd barrel that is modified for the last 5 years without a lost bird.

Modified choke and big shot in steel. I normally use #2, sometimes #4 if I have some shells from duck hunting yet.

why so big on the shot size?

You need larger shot in steel to get the same killing power as lead. If you normally shoot #6 in lead you would want #4 in steel, #5 lead = #3 steel, etc.

I personally like #3 or #4 in steel through an IC choke. Remember, steel patterns tighter than lead so a more open choke is recommended.

Good luck!

Target loads????

"Target loads" for pheasant?????
If you use target loads for wild roosters in SD they will cover their eyes and laugh in your face! (Unless of course you are right on top of them...which won't ever happen ...especially after this weekend!)
We hunt private land...but my advice is to NEVER skimp on shells. We shoot copper plated #4s at 1500 FPS...FEDERAL PHEASANT LOADS!
They will stone a ring neck at 40 yards...that is if you can hit 'em!
good luck!

"Target loads" for pheasant?????
If you use target loads for wild roosters in SD they will cover their eyes and laugh in your face! (Unless of course you are right on top of them...which won't ever happen ...especially after this weekend!)
We hunt private land...but my advice is to NEVER skimp on shells. We shoot copper plated #4s at 1500 FPS...FEDERAL PHEASANT LOADS!
They will stone a ring neck at 40 yards...that is if you can hit 'em!
good luck!

I think we was talking about using target loads on pheasants in Indiana. Probably pen raised birds. And his question was what steel shot to use.

There are an awful lot of pheasants killed here in SD every year with a 20 ga. using 2 3/4" shells. If you look at the ballistics there isn't much difference between a 20 ga. high brass load and a 12 ga. target load. Or probably the 16 ga. loads I use. I too like the 12 ga. Federal PF loads but myself and many others kill a lot of roosters with lesser loads.

I'm by no means a ballistic expert.
But I would think if you were using steel you would still want a lot of "umph" behind them. Especially if you are talking about a little later in the season. I just think it is a big mistake if you spend a lot of $$$ traveling from out of state, non-res license, etc. to buy cheap shells that cripple birds that you aren't able to put in the bag. Again...I don't have experience with steel.
Anxious to hear some reports from the official "opening day" for all in SD. I am a bit skeptical about bird numbers...even thought SDGFP says up 3% statewide. I'm afraid the areas where we hunt are going to be down a bit mainly because of the harsh winter and wet conditions spring and summer.
Hope I'm wrong!

BB's

here in indiana we use 6, 7 1/2, target loads for pheasant..we are going to Aberdeen next week, what is the best steel shot size to use and choke combination. I am going to use my winchester sx2 for the gun. any help would be great.

Try 2.75 12ga 1.25 oz BB steel with a paternmaster choke tube for late season I feel its beter in wind!

If you get on the birds quick fast #4 steel with I/C choke is OK. If not, don't use anything smaller than fast #2's with I/C.

Shot some Hevi-shot in 4 and 6 - hard to beat, but expensive. I use Win HV 3" 1 and a quarter ounce #3's for ducks here in Arkansas and they performed well on the pheasants, and they are easier on the pocketbook at only about $10 - 11 per box.

The HV 3's pattern well in a full in my 870 so that is why I use them. I think the public land pheasants are harder to knock down and anchor than mallards and the 3's will do the job. Most of my mallards are at close range in the timber though.

I have said on here before, my grandpa always said it does not matter if you are shooting rocks, you have to put it on them.

Pattern your gun and practice with some different non-toxic. It seems each person has their own opinion what performs the best.

The HV 3's pattern well in a full in my 870 so that is why I use them.

You're using steel shot through a Full choke on your 870? Aren't you running the risk of damaging your barrel? I don't think any of the gun manufacturers recommend using a Full choke for steel. Since steel patterns much tighter than lead you get full choke patterns with a Mod choke using steel.

Probably not recommended, but I have had the same choke tube in the gun for almost 20 years. It is the old style Mossy Oak finish and if you saw it, you would see it has been used for lots of things a shotgun should never be used for. I shoot about three to five cases of steel, several cases of lead rounds and even slugs for deer through it each year. It still patterns well, never lets me down and it kills, so that is what I stick with.

Many of the new guns come with full chokes for steel. Some of the aftermarket chokes are made with tight constrictions for steel. Each choke should be checked to see if it is steel compatible before using it with steel. Full for steel is fairly common for ducks here in AR, even in the timber where it is close quarters shooting. It is not fun to chase cripps through flooded timber.

The idea that shooting steel shot through a full choke gun has helped sell a lot of new guns and/or barrels. Can anyone reading this find even ONE box of shotshells that states shooting steel through a full choke will ruin the gun???

Now, I wouldn't recommend it myself, especially in a O/U or SXS, as any barrel bulge would not look too cool!

Back