Best Steakhouse in SD?

The one that’s close and can seat me! Chef Louie’s in Mitchell was good…closed now. Haven’t eaten in a restaurant much in the past 20 years, we’re able to cook, but it was enjoyable to be served good food!

I know Cattlemen’s Club in Pierre is excellent, what else you got?
This comes up about every year. I have eaten at cattlemen a couple times and it is good, but I am more of a Mad Mary’s kind of guy also in Pierre. It is a lot smaller so get there early or late. Had the prime rib with foil potatoes a couple weeks ago and it was excellent.

I was in the restaurant business years ago and served 1000s of steaks and prime rib. The best prime rib I have ever had was at Mad Mary's in Pierre. Now having served 1000s I know I may have just got lucky but I am more then willing to try them again.

Prime Time in Huron is pretty good. Reasonably priced also.
Can't say that I was impressed two weeks ago. The menu was very limited--your choices were 4 different size cuts of prime rib, a steak salad, and maybe one other thing. Mine was OK, definitely not bad, but one of the best in SD? Doubtful. My buddy ordered a scotch "neat" and the waitress looked at him like he was speaking a foreign language.

Should also say that the ribeye sandwich at the Scoreboard in Huron was much, much better.

Should also say that the ribeye sandwich at the Scoreboard in Huron was much, much better.
Completely agree Matto,
Our favorite at the Scoreboard & have yet to be disappointed with any selection. Prime time is a local favorite for sure, and the recent remodel is nice. My son and I ate there last year - not bad - actually a few more offerings on the menu than years ago - not set up to compete with the top tier steakhouses like Cattlemens

Just east of Murdo, (Draper or Vivian) just off the interstate, there used to be a little restaurant called "The Busted Nut", not sure it was a "steak house" but BIG portions and good food. When you see folks taking pics of their food before they tear into to it, it has to be impressive on the plate! Not sure it is still around, this was maybe 10 years ago or so. We were shooting p-dawgs out in that area then, never saw many pheasants while doing that.

Just east of Murdo, (Draper or Vivian) just off the interstate, there used to be a little restaurant called "The Busted Nut", not sure it was a "steak house" but BIG portions and good food. When you see folks taking pics of their food before they tear into to it, it has to be impressive on the plate! Not sure it is still around, this was maybe 10 years ago or so. We were shooting p-dawgs out in that area then, never saw many pheasants while doing that.

It was Draper and you are right it was excellent considering it was in the middle of nowhere and was reasonably priced. About 6 or so years ago they moved to Chamberlain. Someone took it over and it was called Nutbusters. It sucked bad. As of two weeks ago it is closed

watered and grazed there several times

we used to hit the busted nut in Draper. then they closed then they opened in chamberlain now it looks like its closed again.

we now go to cattlmens in pierre. get there right at 5 or you will be waiting a LOOOONG time for a table.

mad marys is excellent cant go wrong with either choice if you are in Pierre.

I haven't eaten at Prime Time in a few years so it sounds like it isn't the place I remember. It never had many options but they did right with the options they had. To bad it is not the same.

Can't say that I was impressed two weeks ago. The menu was very limited--your choices were 4 different size cuts of prime rib, a steak salad, and maybe one other thing. Mine was OK, definitely not bad, but one of the best in SD? Doubtful. My buddy ordered a scotch "neat" and the waitress looked at him like he was speaking a foreign language.
Should have ordered a red beer.

Chef Louie's in Mitchell was great, but as BB mentioned, it's gone. And by gone, I mean literally gone. The building has been demolished and that whole corner lot is completely empty now. Looks really strange. Sad to see it go.

I had been to Cattleman's in Mitchell twice several years ago and was very underwhelmed. Service was incredibly slow, and the food was just ok.
My wife and I tried it again 3 or 4 nights ago, and this time the food outstanding. Still very slow, even though it wasn't busy at all, but it was worth it. We both had the 9 oz filet. Sides were great.

Back