Best rural eats

Thirty's is decent, I really like it when they have "Mule Madness". Louies Bar in Ness City is good. Hard to find a good place to eat in western Kansas, especially living with my wife. Nothing compares. All the mexican places taste the same in Kansas, none of them true mexican food. Taco Bell really blows them all away in Kansas, not to mention the colon cleans that comes with it. Quite honestly, the best bang for your buck is McDonalds or Caseys pizza. However in Iowa, there is a mexican place in Algona that is the bomb. Will be eating there again the 18th-23rd.

I'm not impugning your or your wife's taste or experience, but I've had excellent "authentic" Mexican food (if there really is such a thing, but that's a different argument) in Liberal, Dodge City, Garden City, Ulysses and I bet I could find an authentic taqueria in many of the other majority Hispanic southwestern KS towns. To say nothing of Wichita or KCK.

I've not eaten at the place in Algona, Iowa, but my alarms bells go off anytime someone tells me that an over 97% white town in one of the least Hispanic states in America (and in a region with terrible food, generally) is serving better Mexican food than some of those southwest KS taquerias. I'm always willing to be surprised though.

I'm not impugning your or your wife's taste or experience, but I've had excellent "authentic" Mexican food (if there really is such a thing, but that's a different argument) in Liberal, Dodge City, Garden City, Ulysses and I bet I could find an authentic taqueria in many of the other majority Hispanic southwestern KS towns. To say nothing of Wichita or KCK.

I've not eaten at the place in Algona, Iowa, but my alarms bells go off anytime someone tells me that an over 97% white town in one of the least Hispanic states in America (and in a region with terrible food, generally) is serving better Mexican food than some of those southwest KS taquerias. I'm always willing to be surprised though.
I have eaten at every Mexican restaurant in dodge city. I don't think that anyone could speak English in the algona restaraunt.

Casey's Cowtown in Dodge was mentioned; be sure to get some calf fries there. Tell Mike hello.
Casa Alvarez in Dodge. Try some of their hot sauce. Have an awesome sopapilla delight.

What a great thread idea!

Merridys in Russell was tough to beat... I'm not sure if they are still open or not. There was a little place in Wilson that I remember going to soaked to the skin after hunting... I remember that the food was decent, but more importantly it was warm in there.
My folks used to own MacAtees (which later became Crossroads, which later became something else, and I have no idea what it is now) in Ellsworth... Gotta say it was good back then, but no idea now. :)

That place in Wilson was probably Made From Scratch. Meridy's in Russell is still open.

Correct. I randomly found it while looking at google maps and saw it had 5 star reviews so I stopped by, it did not disappoint.
Yeah they make some good eats. In the summer there is another guy who makes elephant ears and fresh lemonade.

What a great thread idea!

Merridys in Russell was tough to beat... I'm not sure if they are still open or not. There was a little place in Wilson that I remember going to soaked to the skin after hunting... I remember that the food was decent, but more importantly it was warm in there.
My folks used to own MacAtees (which later became Crossroads, which later became something else, and I have no idea what it is now) in Ellsworth... Gotta say it was good back then, but no idea now. :)
Made From Scratch in Wilson. Good food, great pies!

The Elephant Bistro's menu is impressive. Seems too fancy for hunting clothes and boots!😂
[/QUOTE

The Elephant in Hoxie does not have a dress code. Boots and hunting clothes are fine. Great food and cocktails.

Back