Best rural eats

Having traveled to Iowa-South Dakota numerous times since 2003, here are my top choices, by town/city:

South Dakota:
1. Minerva's- Sioux Falls-not a small town, but a fine salad bar and food selection
2. Cattlemen's Club--Pierre; a hunter's destination for beef, for sure; get there early on November evenings!
3. Chef Louie's-Mitchell--another hunter hangout and the locals go there too.
4. Stukel's Cafe--Gregory--great breakfast, best cinnamon rolls I ever had.
5. The Blue Goose--Onida--a bar but good sandwiches
6. Marguerite's--Sisseton--on the Indian reservation, best (and almost only) game in town

Iowa:
1. Machine Shed--Davenport--a true mecca for the ag enthusiast and a FINE meal selection; say "I love eggs" and you get an extra one free
2. Iowa 80 Truckstop---Davenport-- a sight to see and an array of choices!
3. Grandma's Diner---Avoca---great small diner

North Dakota:
(Closed, but in memory of) The Buckskin Bar--Killdeer ND No kidding! Great service and food, too bad it's closed!

Hometown Bakery, WaKeeney, Kansas. By far the best breakfast I’ve ever had. Never had anything less than excellent from there. Owner is one of the nicest ladies you could ever ask to meet.

Western Kansas Saloon and Grill, WaKeeney, Kansas. Good steaks (and more), good beer.

Buck’s BBQ and Steakhouse, Sedan, Kansas. Great BBQ and the steaks are among the best in the state.

Peru Truck Stop, Peru, Kansas. The best burger I’ve ever had.

Toot’s Drive-In, Howard, Kansas. Another fantastic burger joint, with a huge menu. They pretty much have everything.

Saiko Sushi and Hibachi, Independence, Kansas. Something a little “different” for the traveling hunter. Tasty sushi, grilled meats, noodles, etc.

Maria Mexican Restaurant, Independence, Kansas. Just a damn good Mexican place. Not much more to be said.

Honorable mention: Murphy’s Original Steakhouse, Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Home of the Hot Hamburger (burger patties on Texas toast, covered in a mountain of homemade fries, smothered in the best brown gravy you’ll ever eat). A must try if you’re in the area!

One thing I’ve found on my travels across our state, is that there are great little “holes in the wall” to eat at from corner to corner! I’m anxious to see what others post up, because I sure like to eat!

Last edited:
Can’t think of the actual name, but the Mexican restaurant in Ness City, Kansas is pretty darn good. If you are done hunting for the day, their Margaritas are awfully tasty too!
That place is good.
We ate at Bruce’s country kitchen in hanston last weekend. That ole gal is funny, she’d bring out 2 meals at a time spaced 10 minutes apart. I think the trick is to go in there with less than 8 people. I think she was cooking on a George foreman🤣

Had a damn good burger at Buffalo Bill's in Oakley a couple of weeks ago. Great onion rings too. Can't remember the name of the place, but a few years back I had a really good prime rib dinner at a place in Colby. It was in the parking lot of our motel.

Had a damn good burger at Buffalo Bill's in Oakley a couple of weeks ago. Great onion rings too. Can't remember the name of the place, but a few years back I had a really good prime rib dinner at a place in Colby. It was in the parking lot of our motel.

City Lights? It's always been good.

That place is good.
We ate at Bruce’s country kitchen in hanston last weekend. That ole gal is funny, she’d bring out 2 meals at a time spaced 10 minutes apart. I think the trick is to go in there with less than 8 people. I think she was cooking on a George foreman🤣
Used to be a place up in Liebenthal, Sonny’s maybe? Been a while since I’ve been there, but they had a KC Strip lunch special for $9.99 that rivaled any dinner steak I ever had.

Used to be a place up in Liebenthal, Sonny’s maybe? Been a while since I’ve been there, but they had a KC Strip lunch special for $9.99 that rivaled any dinner steak I ever had.
Yeah sonny’s is good and you can stop and get some beef jerky at pat’s in liebenthal. I spent 2 summers helping farm when I was a kid, I think I’ve eaten at almost every bar in rush county. About every day for lunch we’d eat lunch at back door pizza or effies in rush center. Great cheeseburger

North Dakota:
(Closed, but in memory of) The Buckskin Bar--Killdeer ND No kidding! Great service and food, too bad it's closed!

For ND I will add The Roost in Ashley, pop. about 650. It's unusual in that you have to cook your own meat due to peculiarities of ND gambling and alcohol laws, both indulgences of which are available at this cafe. So, you order your meat, it's brought to you, and then you go cook it on the open gas grill. When it's done you grab a potato out of the hot pan and make a salad out of the little salad bar. I ordered the lobster, inspired by two tasty cocktails, and it was fantastic. I washed it down with a delicious glass of chardonnay. Yep, Ashley ND.

Last edited:
You'd never think this place would be located where it is - but Fly Boy Brewery and Eats in Sylvan Grove, KS

Other than that - lots of good hole in the walls all over the state. Fly Boy is a bit more memorable.

If your hunting on the High Line in Montana the Hitching Post in Malta Montana has absolute killer breakfast and the area has great Pheasant, Sharptail and Hun hunting as well. Try it sometime. A haul to get there but well worth it.

By the way anybody do any good in northwest Kansas this weekend. I am still thinking about getting out there after Christmas

+1 for Toot's in Howard.

In Dodge for steak, Casey's Cowtown is pretty good but simple, and also Prime at the Nine.

Mexican in Dodge try Taco Jalisco. Not sure they have a menu in English.

What a great thread idea!

Merridys in Russell was tough to beat... I'm not sure if they are still open or not. There was a little place in Wilson that I remember going to soaked to the skin after hunting... I remember that the food was decent, but more importantly it was warm in there.
My folks used to own MacAtees (which later became Crossroads, which later became something else, and I have no idea what it is now) in Ellsworth... Gotta say it was good back then, but no idea now. :)

I dig hearing hole in the wall places. But where's that guy who always talks about hunting spot naming? Haha y'all giving me alot of areas to target naming your favorite eateries 😂

Back