Best Retrieving Pointer??

As far as the ability to retrieve goes, which pointers do you think posses the most natural abilities? I am thinking a pointing lab, but on the other hand, most folks would say that is merely a retriever that can point.

Between the Brittany's, GSPs, Viszla,'s and setters, which do you think has the most natural retrieving instinct?

Brittanies. And my opinion is TOTALLY objective. :p

would be like asking the best pointing flusher..:cool:....I would say the Brittany as well but I'm sure I'm biased.

As far as the ability to retrieve goes, which pointers do you think posses the most natural abilities? I am thinking a pointing lab, but on the other hand, most folks would say that is merely a retriever that can point.

Between the Brittany's, GSPs, Viszla,'s and setters, which do you think has the most natural retrieving instinct?

Why would you leave German wirehair and or Drahthaar off the list.

My PP was retrieving to hand at 4-5 months... I have seen the same with another PP as well as a GWP and a Weim at our NAVHDA chapter. I am sure that there are variations within all breeds... so maybe it is more about nurturing the instinct to bring it out.

If you want a dog that excels in the uplands as well in water when the temps are around zero, I don't think the other breeds stack up to a Labrador. All the breeds have their purpose and serve their owners well, but the best all around dog in the field, water, and home would be the Labrador.

The lab seems like the obvious choice for the highest natural retrieving ability.

But all the hunters on this site get our birds somehow, and most of us are not dog trainers and you know darn well we are not sniffing them out of the grass ourselves... :laugh: There is plenty of natural retrieving ability in the other breeds as well. When a bird goes down, I am 100% confident my dogs will come up with it and neither is a Labrador.

I've never seen a dog that was a bad retriever of any breed. I've seen them in various stages of training though, and some bad habits such as playing keep away or "tenderizing" the bird.

I agree that labs are very reliable retrievers and if pheasants are the only upland hunting your doing I would say get a lab. If you plan on hunting other upland birds that require a dog to actually hunt out of gun range to locate game a pointing lab would be a large disadvantage for you IMO. I have seen many different breeds of pointing dogs that were very competent retrievers that find birds that labs would rarely locate due to the range that labs typically work.

Forgot to mention I would say Brittanys and GSP's are the most natural retrieving pointers out of the breeds you listed.

If you get a lab, it will still be a lab and hunt like a lab.

But if you want a pointing breed, choose the breed you like then research lines within that breed that are proficient retrievers.

Remember that retrieving ability varies, and if you just want your dog to bring birds back, then look for that. It may not be necessary to get a dog capable of running 300 yard blinds.

Well, what I really think I want is to have a pointer so that I can hunt pheasants over a pointer. I really love the way the flusher work, but I just feel that I would miss the point; there is just something very exciting about seeing your very own dog all locked up and quivering. Additionally, I really need a dog to retrieve doves. I don't need a big dog to break ice to retrieve a 12 pound Canada goose, I just need one to bring back doves during our very hot dove season. I should probably just get a springer or cocker (I love the way those little suckers hunt) and be happy, but if I could find a good retrieving pointer I think I would be even happier.

One thing to remember is that there will be different retrieving abilities within each breed also, depending on what a breeder is trying to produce. I saw in one of your past threads that you were in SC. I would look up Stacie Smith at Windchime Kennel near Chester. She has some great GSPs with very good retrieving qualities. I would specifically ask her about pups out of Gauge. He is out of my AKC MH Daysha, who is one of the best retrieving GSPs I have seen. I have heard Gauge throws that same natural retrieve into his pups.

I have been fortunate enough to own and hunt with about all the pointing breeds as well as springers and labs. My first bird dog was a setter female and all everyone said was they won't retrieve but Sis would even retrieve in water so I guess I've been lucky. Pure retrieving ability has to go to the labs day in and day out. The springers are in my opinion one of the most enjoyable dogs to hunt with and really enjoy their work. Pointers can't be beat in the quail field. But I will put my GSP Gus up against anything when it comes to retrieving. I think a low of it depends on the effort you put into it.

My shorthairs can out retrieve my labs land or water and they have all been naturals and easy to develop. They are just much faster, either one will come back with whatever they are sent for.

My labs can handle much colder conditions land or water, and are much better at hunting in cattails. I've never had a pointing lab.

I love them both.

Back