Best Hunting Gloves?

Setter1

What type of gloves does everyone use. I always have trouble finding ones that are not to bulky when its cold. Have a hard time grabbing shells to load gun without taking one off. Usually end up using Jersey type gloves. Is there a good glove that covers warmer type weather to cold temps on a late season pheasant hunt without being to bulky?

I have seen the Orvis gloves. Have you personally used them and which do you prefer. Are the unlined warm enough when its 5 degrees out? Are the insulated easy to grab shells and load guns with? I would hate to spend that much and not be happy with them, but I do believe Orvis will take them back.

I use the deerskin Orvis Uplander Shooting Gloves most of the time. They are thinner than the deerskin gloves I use for yard work and I have no problem pulling shells out of the elastic shell holders in my game vest and putting them in my gun. I also frequently shoot a double triggered sxs using these gloves without any problem. When temperatures are below freezing, I use the Orvis Deerskin and Fleece Shooting Gloves. I can load shells with them, but it's a challenge to work double triggers because of the bulk. When I hunt really cold weather I wear something akin to medium weight ski gloves and use a Cynergy Feather OU since it has a single trigger and a relatively roomy trigger guard.

The Orvis gloves aren't cheap. But I got some on sale at about half price in the fall of 2016.

If you can find them, Midwest Glove Smooth Grain Goatskin Leather gloves. Maybe $15-$18. Flexible, soft, good ability to feel and very tough. I use these in warm weather just for hand protection in the briars and stuff. They are enough for me into the freezing temps. YMMV on that. https://midwestglove.com/product/smooth-grain-goatskin-leather-2/

When it gets too cold for the goatskins for me, I switch to the open finger mitts with the fold over top mitten. It has to be really cold for me to need these and I usually put a liner glove underneath the mitt. https://midwestglove.com/product/lined-mossy-oak-polar-fleece-shooters-glove/

Anyway, that's my method.

Another glove I have used is the Plainsman Cabretta goat skins. Very thin and flexible but also pretty tough. $20 for two pair at Sam's Club. The ONLY thing i don't like about them is that in the XL the fingers are too roomy to give you precise fingertip control of stuff. They work, yes; but they'd work a heck of a lot better if the fingers fit more closely. For shooting excellence it all depends on how your fingers fit in the size you choose I guess. Just too roomy for me though.

That said, I love them for working around the acreage and doing stuff where you can ding your hands.

I like CamoSkinz II which I got from Cabelas. Been out of stock for awhile. They are thin allowing trigger feel, have a tacky palms for a nonslip hold on the gun, and a warmer than expected. But when it's cold I wear a heavier glove on my forward hand.

What type of gloves does everyone use. I always have trouble finding ones that are not to bulky when its cold. Have a hard time grabbing shells to load gun without taking one off. Usually end up using Jersey type gloves. Is there a good glove that covers warmer type weather to cold temps on a late season pheasant hunt without being to bulky?

I really don't think there's one glove that's going to cover the whole "glove weather" range. Here's what I've been wearing the last couple years. Really like them both.

This for not so cold weather. https://www.scheels.com/p/hot-shot-deer-skin-mechanics-gloves/04355234015.html

And this for when it gets bad. They don't offer THE greatest dexterity, but fine for shooting & OK for pulling out a shell & jamming in your gun. https://www.manzella.com/p/manzella-gore-tex-xtra-fit-guide-hunting-gloves-men-h119m

The key is to get the right fit, especially on those cold weather gloves. Loose enough to wiggle your fingers but tight enough to not be too bulky.

Only drawback of deerskin gloves (depending how you look at it): Blood shows up great! This is potentially cool looking to some, but wives don't appreciate it as much.

I went to the Manzella site that is recommended above. Thanks for the info, I think this is where I might get gloves from. They have upland hunting gloves for $40. Has anyone tried those?

With all the shooting I do for trials, training, hunting etc. I have grown to like a cold weather golf glove. I shot the national open this fall in mid November. It rained, and was cold. Windy as heck. I kept hand warmers in my pockets, and swapped out toting my p shooter hand to hand every so often. They worked well. Had it not been bone cold rain, I think they would have been fine without warmers. They have great grip, are not bulky, and have some insulation. Now, it gets to an extreme where you need more for sure. But if your moving you can stay warm in them to some pretty cool temps.

I use winter football coaching gloves from Neumann with silk liners. Google Neumann and you'll see them.

Regardless of what brand, I simple can't function with gloves that are either too bulky and or do not have sufficient grip in the palms. I've wondered about all the high tech football gloves that are worn by receivers these days and how they may work. Not sure how thick they are, anyone tried them?

This sounds strange but I have been wearing Kodiak Winter golf gloves. They are thin enough for dexterity and warm enough at least into the low 20s. I don’t recall how cold the temperature has been when I have worn them. They are the only glove I have worn in the last two seasons. Granted, it does not get very cold in East Tennessee but I wear them during my annual trek to the Mid-West as well. The guns feel like they are stuck to your hands.

I had never thought about wearing golf, football, or baseball gloves. Going to do some checking into those to see what I like. Then if they aren't warm enough you could just throw a pair of jersey or rag wool gloves over them and still not have bulky gloves.

Back