Best Dogs

In my opinion, Retriever Hunt Tests and actual upland hunting for wild pheasants are two different things. Some dogs do both well, and many do one or the other well. A highly titled dog (including some 4xGMPR’s / Triple Crown dogs, MH / MNH dogs and HRCH / Grand dogs) doesn’t necessarily equate to a great upland dog. It could, but I don’t think it should be considered a given. Duck hunting may be different, I don’t know. Hunt tests seem to require a lot of control between the handler and the dog. Not as much control in the upland field. And a dogs breeding doesn’t necessarily mean that the puppy is going to be the exact replica of mom or dad. It’s a an indicator, but not a guarantee.
I could care less about that breeder stuff.My digs are great because they live in the house, and hunt a lot.

I could care less about that breeder stuff.My digs are great because they live in the house, and hunt a lot.
The titles and ribbons dogs aren’t earned to show that the dogs can hunt, or are good family dogs. They are earned to show that the dogs have certain abilities and traits that are normally deemed desirable in a good dog ( ie intelligence, trainable, drive, desire etc..)
I’ve been burned in the past buying a dog that came from a backyard breeder with so called “great hunting dogs”. Buying from a reputable breeder with proven dogs is more about stacking the deck in your favor.
Every fall I do a volunteer guided charity hunt and the amount of self proclaimed guides with great dogs is numerous. Some of them at the end of the day are making excuses on why that great hunting dog wasn’t so great at the end of the day.

I got a 4 yr old male yellow lab in my lap as I type this who is exactly what I as a breeder strive to produce. He is titled in the AKC, has won ribbons in Upland tournaments, has guided hunts. He runs cold blinds out to 300 yds, picks up triple marks, and in hundreds of wild shot birds he has lost 2 over the last 4 seasons, 1 was from getting injured running through a fence after it as a 1 yr old . He has a very good pedigree and came from a good breeder, I would put him against any dog in the field with confidence he could hold his own and perform. At home he is the best family dog I could have ever asked for. Calm collected and gentle with my kids, sleeps in my bed at night. Would I have gotten him from a random backyard breeding ? Maybe ? But I don’t like the odds. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

One reason to buy from a reputable breeder is their commitment to avoid genetic diseases in the hips, eyes, etc...
Totally and 100% agree but I didn’t want to touch on that as the main conversation was about the dogs hunting abilities. But valid point!

Molly B'Golly. Got her in 2001 and was the first Brittany we had with a good pedigree (grandfather was Renegade's KS Kid). I put quite a bit of effort into training her. Also had a lot more opportunities to hunt back then. Was in a western KS group that hunted every year, took her to WIHA in KS and public areas in both KS and MO. Just a great bird dog, and the one the kids grew up with and my boys learned to hunt with.

DSC_9214-L.jpg

That's Max A'Million in my avatar. We lost him a year ago. Also a good hunter and a great companion. I haven't had the heart to change the picture. I really miss him.

We've currently got a 10 year old L&W Ruby Sue and a 4 month old O&W Rusty Ray. Both Brittanys.

Last edited:
Molly B'Golly. Got her in 2001 and was the first Brittany we had with a good pedigree (grandfather was Renegade's KS Kid). I put quite a bit of effort into training her. Also had a lot more opportunities to hunt back then. Was in a western KS group that hunted every year, took her to WIHA in KS and public areas in both KS and MO. Just a great bird dog, and the one the kids grew up with and my boys learned to hunt with.

DSC_9214-L.jpg

That's Max A'Million in my avatar. We lost him a year ago. Also a good hunter and a great companion. I haven't had the heart to change the picture. I really miss him.

We've currently got a 10 year old L&W Ruby Sue and a 4 month old O&W Rusty Ray.
Great picture. You can tell how happy your pup was.

DSC_9214-L.jpg

We've currently got a 10 year old L&W Ruby Sue and a 4 month old O&W Rusty Ray.
Great pic and great memories. Look how happy everyone looks. Can't fake the true joy the great outdoors brings to us all. Thanks for sharing.

This is Willie he maybe somebody's best dog but for me he has more character then his 2 littermates combined ×5.
Willie doesn't charge into anything , but will hunt wherever you tell him. He plods along until he gets bird scent and then he is all business. He may encounter a wild flush but he never bumps birds. He points them and you have to find them as they maybe 18",18',or 80 yards. He will move/relocate if told to but only then if he still has scent.
Deliberate retrieves with a soft mouth. Great at marking downed birds. Love the water both swimming and drinking.
Like I said he ain't my best dog but he is a good hunting companion when the other 2 need a break.received_1322747825057871.jpeg

I'm 3 for 3. All field bred springers. Walt, Buzz & now Ace.

Hey mister, how do you get a great pheasant dog?

Hunt. Hunt. Hunt.
I totally agree.Just hunt every day.You don't have to train.Maybe throw a retrieving thing with a wing attached once in a while.

Well what happened with this match up? Wasn't Dude supposed to be the chairman of the event?
Well my dog can't match sage in the mobility area.My dog is 10, and has had an acl surgery at 8. My skills are solid, but I use several different guns,so that doesn't help my percentage of hits.My bread and butter guns are an 11-87 premier, and an 870 super mag,chocked IC.

Mara, my Drahthar, was my best overall dog. I have been blessed with 4-5 excellent dogs in my lifetime. Over a thousand phez shot over her, (all wild), in her 14 yrs. Only lost 3-4. She's been gone about 14 yrs. now, but I still think of her quite often. It's a shame they don't live longer.

I've been blessed with two great labs, both chocolate, both from great pedigrees.....Candlewood Kennel here in Wisconsin lines. Both from litters bred from friends.
Drake 2002-2012....diabetic by age 5, bone cancer in his jaw by age 10 cut his life short....that took alot out of me.....couldn't bring myself to get another dog for four years
Odin 2016-current.
Both great pups, easy to train, great with people, in the house, other dogs, kids, etc.

Attachments

• downloadfile-62.jpeg
    downloadfile-62.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200105_101320.jpg
    20200105_101320.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back