Best Dogs

My buddy and I pulled in at some grain bins in Iowa, where we saw a truck parked to try and get some permission. As we turned in, we noticed the truck had a dog box in the back. We decided to just turn around and leave but the guy had already seen use and was coming our way. Long story short, it was the beginning of a great relationship with a retired vet, who was also a great upland hunter and G.S.P. breeder. One year he had a skinny male left from a litter. I bought him and drove the 10 hours back latter to get him. He wound up being a very unassuming, skinny, not so good-looking dog. He didn't burn up the uplands. He always looked like he was starving, despite many different food types and supplements. Although he seldom was the first dog to find the covey, He never made a mistake, and when we counted the points at the end of the day, old Bob would be right in there with the best. He just never really put on a show..... Until you dropped the tailgate in pheasant land. I'm not kidding it was like loading Clark Kent in the dog box and superman stepping out. He knew exactly where he was and exactly what to do. He would lock up on a track, hold until you got there and walk/point at just the right pace and range in front of you. He never failed to impress all who saw him in pheasant land. I sure due miss ole gentleman Bob!!

My buddy and I pulled in at some grain bins in Iowa, where we saw a truck parked to try and get some permission. As we turned in, we noticed the truck had a dog box in the back. We decided to just turn around and leave but the guy had already seen use and was coming our way. Long story short, it was the beginning of a great relationship with a retired vet, who was also a great upland hunter and G.S.P. breeder. One year he had a skinny male left from a litter. I bought him and drove the 10 hours back latter to get him. He wound up being a very unassuming, skinny, not so good-looking dog. He didn't burn up the uplands. He always looked like he was starving, despite many different food types and supplements. Although he seldom was the first dog to find the covey, He never made a mistake, and when we counted the points at the end of the day, old Bob would be right in there with the best. He just never really put on a show..... Until you dropped the tailgate in pheasant land. I'm not kidding it was like loading Clark Kent in the dog box and superman stepping out. He knew exactly where he was and exactly what to do. He would lock up on a track, hold until you got there and walk/point at just the right pace and range in front of you. He never failed to impress all who saw him in pheasant land. I sure due miss ole gentleman Bob!!
Thumbs up on dog.Big thumbs down on dog boxes!

Back