Best $1500 O/U Field Gun...

Sadie'sGun

I have a $1500 budget for a my first O/U and I wanted to get some feedback from you all.

I'm leaning towards the Franchi Instinct SL 12 gauge (maybe 20ga). I've handled these in store only and I like the feel, balance, and light weight. Any feedback on this gun?

Any other suggestions?

I've shot the beretta 686 and liked it, but it doesn't seem possible to get one in this price range.

It will be a field gun for pheasant/quail split 50/50 (with occasional sporting clays) so I'm ok with a used model just not sure if it's worth the risk finding one used online. I haven't bought a used gun before so it's a bit of an unknown. any advice here?

Last question, I'm 6'5" and i would like to add .5"-1" to the stock. Are there any custom ordering options out there for O/U guns? It seems crazy to me that you can pay that much for a gun and you can't get a 1" insert added to the stock.

Thanks!

:cheers:

I'll second that buying a used gun. I have bought 2 Browning superlights (12 and 28 ga) off Gunbroker in the $1100 range with the shipping and FFL transfer. Ask a lot of questions and get additional pictures if possible.
Cheers!
Wolf
PS. I am a big supporter of the Browning Citoris

I have one I just bought a couple of months ago used. I bought it for the light weight and because they shouldered nice and my 686 in a 20 just was not enough on roosters last year in my opinion. I shot several rounds of 5-stand, skeet, and trap before the season to get used to the gun and put a sling on it to take even more pressure off of my shoulder. The sling cost me one wild flushed bird, but other than that I killed everything I shot at last weekend. I personally like the gun and compare it to a red label, superposed, and 2 berretas I own. It is short for me at 6-4 so I bought this product and it is very effective at customizing your length of pull (and cheap!).
https://www.beartooth-products.com/collections/recoil-pad-kit
The gun is worth the money....maybe a little barrel heavy in the balance and it does pattern very tightly with the provided chokes so buy a cylinder or skeet at the get go. Good luck

Thanks for the advice.

I'm trying a local gun shop that might put an insert between the stock and factory pad for better fit. If they do that, I'll probably buy from them.

I just keep going back to the Franchi, and I can't explain it. Still keeping my eye on the used gun sites.

-DS

I would look at a used beretta they fit like a glove and you can buy different butt pads to add length. They have a system that makes them easy to change. I have a 686 and love it.

Franchi Instinct L

Loving my Franchi Instinct L, held the SL 20 ga. in the store and was super light...wishing I got the SL 12 ga. but still very happy with the L and wouldn't change now to an SL. I was wanting a little bit heavier in case I wanted to get into trap shooting and it swings more true instead of too easy/uncontrolled. Carries very well and balanced very well, I'd buy it again hands down...just preferences really, I needed a cheaper field gun that I was okay with beating up and couldn't spend as much as i'd obviously like.

Don't rule out Cynergys in this price point too. Shop around, and you can find a good deal. If you are looking for a no frills, get-the-job-done gun, and don't care about manufacturer, look at the Stevens 555.

I have a Beretta 686 Onyx Pro 12ga 3.5" that's like new, longer length of pull too. I may possible still let it go for $1500. Have to think about it.

I also just got the lead on several Browning O/U's from a friend's family member that I can look at before they go in an estate sale, heading over there Saturday. Not sure on what's there or the prices, but it's worth checking out.

I'm hoping there's a feather lightning. I like that lightweight with all the walking we do. I'll also see check out the cynergy.

OnPoint, just keep me posted. I'm interested!

:)

Thanks again all!

I have a Citori, a Cynergy, a Superposed, A Beretta 686 and a weatherby Athena. All have performed flawlessly.

Maybe no need to spend all $1500 on a new gun. I've heard good things about the CZ Drake, for example. A Stoeger will set you back less than a thou too.

Maybe no need to spend all $1500 on a new gun. I've heard good things about the CZ Drake, for example. A Stoeger will set you back less than a thou too.

Maybe stay above $500 though, they start getting heavy/clunky for that price, but you can find some nice guns under $1K too as mentioned above...I looked at a CZ also but went in favor of Franchi because I could feel 'em up first.

Just my opinion but I have learned that having a gun that fits you well is much more important than anything else.
Try to find a sporting goods store that has lots of options and pull everyone of them up to your shoulder and see which one is the most "comfortable"
I would not be afraid to buy a used name brand Over Under.
I shoot trap with guys that shoot all types of field grade stack barrels and have thousands of rounds through them. As long as the lever is slightly to the right of center I wouldn't be nervous at all.
There are good deals to be had in the used gun market, someone is always wanting something new or different.
But I am a Franchi fan! I switched from a 686 to a franchi Veloce a few years ago and will never look back unless someone comes out with a OU 12 that weighs 5lbs and fits me. :)

I would agree that fit is everything and it's the reason I'm looking to upgrade from my current gun that doesn't fit well even with a slip on pad. That and a well timed promotion. :D

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

I think one of the best values out there right now on new guns are the Weatherby Orion. Can be had under $900. I had an older one and it was a great gun. Have not heard of any issues with the new ones either. Good luck in your search and agree whst ever you buy make sure it fits you!

I would second, spending your money on fit. Buy something in the $1000 used market and spend $1-300 on going to a gun fitter. You won't regret having a gun that shots where you look, IMO!

To close the loop, I found a used Franchi for a good price. Can't way to get it fit and get out in the field. Thanks again for all the advice.

Back