Beretta's New Shotgun

Nice gun but 36% faster...really...can we actually tell that speed difference? My big old fat fingers work 36% slower so does that make me even? Just pondering the reason for that kind of speed in an action of a shotgun? I guess that leaves the 'pump' guys out. :D

I handled my first A400 the other day. I'm not as impressed with it as I thought I would be. I said the same thing about the Xtrema when they first came out and it was one of the best auto's I ever owned.

The action on the one I was handling just wasn't smooth at all. The bolt was sticky and clunky. I picked up an Xtrema right next to it and it was smooth as glass. I actually tapped on the bolt of the A400 thinking it looked almost plastic. The whole gun feels like plastic to me.

The price? way over priced IMO. I wish them the best at selling them in this tough economy. I tried for years to buy the do everything gun. It never worked out. IMO, there is no do everything gun. I buy a gun now for a specific type of hunting.

A Browning 3" Maxus will do anything the A400 does for less cash. I had the chance to shoot a Maxus Hunter (wood stock) at some clays last week and was impressed. Light weight but cuts the recoil well, even with 3 dram 1 1/8 target loads.

jfan,
i am not a big fan of beretta's , the a400 is a nice gun , but it cant hold up to my browings or my benelli's. imo beretta's are over rated. try a benelli, monte, and you will see the difference. browning is great also. benelli's imo are easy to clean and dont miss fire. browings are a little harder to clean but managable. shoot what you want.:)

Well, thanks for the input. I bought the gun last Friday and I love it. I had a great time shooting 5 stand and sporting clays over the weekend. I shot my best round of clays ever and really enjoy the gun. It handles well and the recoil is really next to nothing.

Have you tried any light 7/8 or 1 oz loads yet? Both the A400 and Maxus claim to cycle the 7/8 loads OK. These loads running 1200-1250 are real pleasant to shoot at clays, especially when shooting 100 round course.

Yeah, the book recommends running 1 1/8 oz loads to start and then going down to 1 oz loads. It handled both just fine. I haven't gone to 7/8 oz yet.

Back