beretta 686 opinions

shooter36

I'm thinking about purchasing a 20 gauge 686. This will be my first over/under. Would like to get fellow UPH members opinions/reviews.

I really love mine! I have the 20/28 combo and have been using the 28 all season on Roosters with no problem. Points like a dream for me! Last year I used the 20 when my Auto froze up! It was about 20 below with the wind chill and everyones guns were not working well!! Switched to the O/U and at least I had 2 shots every time!! I think you will fall in love with it!!!!:cheers:

I have a 12 and a 20 and love both. I use the 20 for pheasants and it always goes Bang Bang. Nice and light and swings nicely.
Duke

I have a 12 and a 20. I use the 20 exclusively for pheasants, shooting 2 3/4 6s thru a skeet tube first and then IC over a pointing dog.

I love mine.

I havent shot the 12.

2011-11-09%2015.51.093.jpg

2011-11-27_12_29_07.jpg

dog and duke why do you use the 20 and not the 12s on phez?

I hunted with a 12 all my life,(over Labs, mostly) until getting the 20. When my wife got me the 20,(3 years ago) I had a Lab and a GSP, that I hunted together. I put the Lab down a year ago, and now have 2 GSPs, and dont shoot unless a bird is pointed. The 20 works fine under those conditions. When I first started out using the 20, I used 3 inch, but havent shot a 3 inch shell yet this year so far,(40 days). I did break out an old Browning Double auto 12 for a couple days, just to shoot it again, for nostalgic reasons, but shooting the 20 just works for me, and my style of hunting.

I bought the 686 12, just because I couldnt pass it up, price wise. Yes, it was used, but very slightly, and I got it for $850. I wouldnt have spent what a new one costs, just to leave it in the safe, but for 850, I couldnt let it go.

I have a 686 that I really like. Works as it should. I'm a taller person and the 686 has a bit longer length of pull than most of the other guns I looked at.

Just received my Beretta 686 20 gauge for Christmas and it is exactly what I was hoping it to be, mine. I've only shot clays with it but I can't wait to get out and shoot some birds. Just wondering if you guys shoot steel or other alternate shot through your guns and what it may be?

You Wont Regret It

I had a 12 that I never should have sold and now have a semi-custom 686 in 20 gauge. The gun is a dream to carry and shoot. I killed several roosters using this gun last year and this year and made some very nice shots. I never use more than an ounce of shot and can do quite well out to 40 yards with the righ choke tubes. The gun can pattern down tight with IM chokes if the wind is kicking up and the birds are jumping.

I would recommend a gun with the 28" barrels to help the swing.

Something most folks don't talk about is gun fit. Beretta guns typically have a much higher comb than Brownings etc. The gun will shoot high for most folks who shoot typical American gun stocks. I can't shoot a modern Remington, but the Beretta....never found one I didn't like.

:cheers:DH

Just received my Beretta 686 20 gauge for Christmas and it is exactly what I was hoping it to be, mine. I've only shot clays with it but I can't wait to get out and shoot some birds. Just wondering if you guys shoot steel or other alternate shot through your guns and what it may be?

I reload lead but when I need to shoot non toxic. I shoot Hevi-Shot. Yes it does cost a lot more then steel but I have not been disappointed with a single kill when I have used it.

I use my 686 for just about everything. ducks, cocks, quail (until I bought a 28ga) grouse, etc.

Had it since mid 1990s and never had one issue. It's light, fits right, shoulders like a dream and points perfectly for me. I wouldn't dream of another gun for birds.

For pheasant I shoot 2 3/4 #5 with a IC and Mod and have dropped birds at 40-50 yards though I usually let those pass but every once in a while.... bang - drop! Always amazes my hunting partner!:cool:

Question?

Why do people say that O/U are so safe? People dont carry them broken in half/open when hunting do they? I do know that the saftey resets after you open it. Sorry for the dumb questions but I dont know because dont have one yet and never used one. Thanks!

Why do people say that O/U are so safe? People dont carry them broken in half/open when hunting do they? I do know that the saftey resets after you open it. Sorry for the dumb questions but I dont know because dont have one yet and never used one. Thanks!

No such thing as dumb question. No they do not carry them half open.
When a O/U or a SxS is broken open. Their is no question to whether it is loaded or not. Their also is no question as to whether it can fire or not.
A O/U or SxS can not fire in the broken open position.
It is extremely easy and fast to load and unload a O/U or SxS. That alone tends to encourage the users to clear the weapon. Even if they just stop to chat with a buddy before taking to the rest of the field.
When you look at the statistics for serious hunting accidents involving a shot gun.
The accident normally occurs at a close range.
Majority of accidents have a person under the age of 21 shooting a person over the age of 35 (these are Nebraska Game and Parks stats, not sure about other states)
Most accidents occur because the "shooter" was certain the gun was unloaded or pointed in a safe direction.
Their is no question if a O/U or a SxS is broken open, but one can not be positive if a pump or a semi auto action is closed. Hence the "I thought it was unloaded..." accident occurs.

I carry mine broke open in the field much of the time. When you are only shooting pointed birds there is no reason to keep it closed. I do close it some of the time so that I can carry it in a different position to prevent fatigue.

One of the things that can be a pain on an O/U is when broken open and carrying it, the shell can fall out pretty easily. Really great when in tall grass, snow or mud :rolleyes:

Might be another dumb question but: Is the 686 basically the same gun as the 687 with same basic receiver and barrel quality, except for fine points like finish, engraving and quality of wood?

Might be another dumb question but: Is the 686 basically the same gun as the 687 with same basic receiver and barrel quality, except for fine points like finish, engraving and quality of wood?

Yes you are correct, at least that is my understanding. Same actions different cosmetics.

Back