Benelli M2 - Problem!

jonnyB

Just bought a new M2 and was at the range trying it out...not good!

Installed two shells: one in the chamber, one in the magazine.

Chambered shell fired - shell cycled from the magazine to the chamber

Tried to pull the trigger for the second shot, no trigger, seemed locked, like the safety was on..

Any thoughts about this "single shot" gun?

Thanks

Bolt seemed to be forward as far as it could be...Wolff 25%? Didn't think I would have to make changes to a pricey gun...

Bolt wasn’t all the way forward.
Never happened to me personally, but has occurred with someone I was hunting with. From that point forward I always check to make sure its fully forward.

Same thing can happen on a bolt action rifle. If the bolt isn't fully forward and engaged all the way down, the gun won't fire. My uncle experienced this with deer in his scope. He had rested the rifle against a tree trunk and just barely nudged the bolt upward, failing to realize that it had occurred. And then of course, with the deer in his scope, no shots go off. He's trying to figure out what the problem is and the deer walks off.

Always slam the bolt. Either use bolt release or pull bolt back and let it snap the shell in. I fell once and butt hit the ground hard and jarred bolt loose which cause my next shot to click. Also when I walk through thick weeds or small trees I reset the bolt when I get out to ensure it didn’t get caught during the trek. In my mind I’ve told myself if I ever hear the dreaded click again that I’m not gonna stare at my gun like what just happened but pull the bolt back and advance another shell then shoot the bird. It works in my head😜

Retay has a patent on a part that prevents that "the Benelli Click" from happening.. The bolt does not return to its full position and the firing pin is just shy of hitting the primer so the gun goes click and never fires.

My everyday shooter in the field is a Retay Gordion Semi-Auto 12ga..I also own the 20 gauge Masai-Mara. Both fine guns at lower price points.

Easy, take it back.
If you return it, you might as well switch brands then. It’s a known issues with Benellis. I wish I knew before I purchased.
As @4shot stated, you learn to deal with it, my experiences are similiar to his. I have a lot less clicks now that I am aware of the problem.
Also happens when in a duck blind and setting the gun down upright in the blind can sometimes bump the bolt ever so slightly.

If your gun is new send it to Benelli for repair it is under warranty. They will give you a free shipping tag if you contact them.

If you return it, you might as well switch brands then. It’s a known issues with Benellis. I wish I knew before I purchased.
As @4shot stated, you learn to deal with it, my experiences are similiar to his. I have a lot less clicks now that I am aware of the problem.
Also happens when in a duck blind and setting the gun down upright in the blind can sometimes bump the bolt ever so slightly.
I just read that the "Benelli Click" issue had been addressed in the SBE 3 guns, not sure about M2s. It occurred if you pulled the bolt back, just a bit, to make sure there was a round in the chamber and maybe another situation also caused it. If I recall correctly, it was in last months American Rifleman in the article about the 28 gauge Benelli....still not an M2. Might be worth a call to Benelli. I do remember my late uncle experiencing that time to time years ago....they didn't know why it was happening back then. Good luck with this issue.

Our waterfowling group have experienced the Benelli click in M1, M2 and SBE models, but never in Vinci, Ethos or Franchi models.
Benelli click has been a very well documented issue.

The problem I'm having is "second shell" doesn't fire. Bolt is home on the first shell otherwise it wouldn't have fired.

Visiting with a gunsmith tomorrow - will know more then.

Thanks for all the input!

You said it was new, if so did you yake out bolt and wipe off all shipping grease? Listen , I know about the Benelli click , have had 2 Monty's, Legacy and now 2 M 2s. Always slam the head forward by pulling it all the way back and keep grease or thick oils off bolt heads and if you humt make site weed seeds arent gumming it up. Otherwise you have IMO, one of the best Autos made. Ive dumped mine in North Dakota black muck and kept on firing. You and it will be fine ,just be sure to do these things and fire on !!

Hope you get the issue resolved. I bought an M2 last Spring. I was a bit nervous, as it was my first auto-loader. I have put several hundred target loads, and plenty of game loads through it without a single issue.

You said it was new, if so did you yake out bolt and wipe off all shipping grease? Listen , I know about the Benelli click , have had 2 Monty's, Legacy and now 2 M 2s. Always slam the head forward by pulling it all the way back and keep grease or thick oils off bolt heads and if you humt make site weed seeds arent gumming it up. Otherwise you have IMO, one of the best Autos made. Ive dumped mine in North Dakota black muck and kept on firing. You and it will be fine ,just be sure to do these things and fire on !!
The owner/manager of the store stripped it down and did a lube job on the gun. He owns a Benelli and is quite familiar with the gun(s); I trusted he knew what he was doing. I'm visiting a gunsmith tomorrow morning for testing and evaluation. Will report our findings et al.
Jon

Hope you get the issue resolved. I bought an M2 last Spring. I was a bit nervous, as it was my first auto-loader. I have put several hundred target loads, and plenty of game loads through it without a single issue.
I hope it's something insignificant - was frustrated that this rather expensive gun had little quirks that prevented it from operating. I also own two Browning A5's...never had any issues with either gun.

Back