Beeper collar vs. gps tracking collar?

Slyringneck

Hello everyone! I have two GWPs and wondering if there is a two dog remote beeper collar out there without the stimulus points. I like the beeper collar idea but I don't want to listen to them all day hunting. That's why I'm interested in the remote. I can turn it on to locate my dogs if they are in thick cover and then turn it off. I'm also thinking about the sport dog tek 1.0. I can keep track of my dogs without the beeper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to hear the Pros and cons of the GPS. Never used the GPS, but have used Beeper collars for years. I basically use them just to locate with a quick press of the button or at most just use it on silent run, point only mode.

Beeper and gps

Pair of dogs. I used to set the beeper to work only on point. Separate shock collar for each dog.

Now I have a new Garmin Alpha. Spendy, but worth it. Replaces everything. Training collar, tracking and tells you when they are on point. GPS for me. Little bit of a learning curve. I've had mine a few weeks. I like it.

Traded in my my tritronics collars, hand held and beepers to www.collarclinic. .com. Saved a little bit that way.

Other than looking at the screen to see if your dog has stopped, does it beep at you or make any kind of sound when the dog has stopped for a given amount of time?

I have a garmin astro. It vibrates when the dog goes on point. I can feel it even in the pocket of my heavy coat. I can barely here a beeper and when I can I find them anoying. GPS all the way. You can also purchase a chip for the area you are hunting. It will show roads water public land boundries ect depending on the chip of course.

Good to know and it wouldn't seem just for the dog that runs to the horizon either, but any dog that is in heavy cover close or far...:thumbsup:

david0311

Pair of dogs. I used to set the beeper to work only on point. Separate shock collar for each dog.

Now I have a new Garmin Alpha. Spendy, but worth it. Replaces everything. Training collar, tracking and tells you when they are on point. GPS for me. Little bit of a learning curve. I've had mine a few weeks. I like it.

Traded in my my tritronics collars, hand held and beepers to www.collarclinic. .com. Saved a little bit that way.

Have also recently purchased the new Alpha and have just started using --so far love it- there is a learning curve (but not that tough)--as stated a bit pricey --but how much would you have paid to know where your missing dog exactly was the last time you could not locate them for even a little while? --I run labs and still feel they are worth it--will keep my Tri-Tronic collars for training--

Have hunted behind those who use beepers--Hated it--felt like I was following a garbage truck all day--jmo

Have hunted behind some with beepers--hate the constant beeping--feel like I'm following a garbage truck all day--

I run the garmin around the dogs neck and I put the t tronic trainer around his waist. A trainer showed me that. I generaly hunt alone. Last year in SD I knocked a bird down like dead. It was heavy tall cover. I went to where the bird should have been no bird no dog. I pulled the gps out looked at the map screen dog 105 yds in the corn. I went where the unit sent me, there I found the dog with the bird pinned down. That alone sold me. For me its like a cell phone I don't know how I ever got along without it.

david0311

I run the garmin around the dogs neck and I put the t tronic trainer around his waist. A trainer showed me that. I generaly hunt alone. Last year in SD I knocked a bird down like dead. It was heavy tall cover. I went to where the bird should have been no bird no dog. I pulled the gps out looked at the map screen dog 105 yds in the corn. I went where the unit sent me, there I found the dog with the bird pinned down. That alone sold me. For me its like a cell phone I don't know how I ever got along without it.

???? Don't know how to PM here---there are very limited reason for a collar on waist--why not both on neck?--Please-- not being critical but wonder why the trainer would have you use it like that all the time--but virtually all my experience is with retrievers so there may be a reason that I don't know about--

But I have learned there is a great difference in the quality of Trainers/Pro's

Again please don't take offense--just curious

Sold on beeper

I do most of my hunting for grouse and woodcock in places where I can't see the dog from 10 yards. A beeper for me is the ticket, as I can keep track of my dog at all times. This Saturday I shot a grouse, dog had him pinned between us. I never saw the dog, but had the tone going and went toward the tone. Was so thick I never knew if I hit the bird, either until the dog was tackling it running around in the brush.

I had an old beeper that had a ball bearing that would hit a connection point, with a mercury switch to convert it to steady tone when stationary. During movement it beeped irregularly and sounded like some tweety bird. I don't think it disturbed grouse at all. It unfortunately broke and had to be replaces. The current collar works, but is louder, so I put tape over the speaker to muffle it.

I don't see myself going more hightech than I am now. A GPS for me seems like way overkill.

Back