Barrel cut down

Mgorvi: Wondering how the barrel cut worked out? Can you update us?

Thanks.[/QUOTE

After listening to some of the guys here I mailed it to Mike Orlen yesterday. I spoke with him, and someone at Briley and I’m sure either one would have done a very good job. No question that Mr. Orlen was less expensive. I decided to have it cut back to the next rib post, which will be just over two inches less. I am trying to get the length to match up with the Benelli Ultralight that I just bought, at 47 1/4 inches. I’m still not sure what kind of choke I will end up with. I think it depends on the tooling he has. I use Trulocks in my A5 and my Cynergy 20ga., but we will see what he is able to do with that. Anyway, I hope I’m on the right track. The 26” A5s were harder to find, and I got a good deal on the 28” from Reed’s, so I went with the 28”. I didn’t realize how long the receivers are when I bought it. I didn’t do my homework, and now I have to pay. As I age, I have developed a preference for light guns, and I tend to shoot quickly. Most likely because beyond 40 yards I completely suck. Man’s gotta know his limitations.

Thanks for the update, M. And birds at 40 yards? I don't think about them ...

Look forward to hearing about the finished barrel when it's returned to you.

I hope the cut-down turns out the way you want it. Sounds like you've probably been steered the right direction.

As for 40+ yd shots....I'll try 'em as long as they're not straight-away. But if they're at an angle that their vitals are opened up some, sure. After all, God made lead 4's for a reason. And a springer spaniel needs a challenge once in a while.

mgorvi;246955]It looks and feels like the the guns on the battleship Missouri. The action on this gun is really long.

So... are you saying you don't care for the longer sight plane or that the barrel is muzzle heavy or both? I say that as the gun is already less than 6 pounds (very light gun) and shortening the barrel will only make it that much lighter. This will drastically alter the balance (front /back) and way the gun swings. If your ok with that then no problem, just something to think about.

Last edited:
So... are you saying you don't care for the longer sight plane or that the barrel is muzzle heavy or both? I say that as the gun is already less than 6 pounds (very light gun) and shortening the barrel will only make it that much lighter. This will drastically alter the balance (front /back) and way the gun swings. If your ok with that then no problem, just something to think about.

Weight reduction: about 3.5 oz.? Is this a drastic reduction...enough to significantly alter the swing? Comments?

Certainly can be, you'd be surprised how much of a difference in feel it can make. Where did you come up with 3.5 oz.?

Removing 4 inches (28 to 24) hard to guess what the difference in weight would actually be. Simply looking at the manufacturer's given weight for different barrels lengths is not exact science.

What it does is change the swing dynamics. The gun will seem much more lively (whippy) for lack of a better term, especially for an already light gun. If that doesn't bother you then nothing lost

I've added an aftermarket magazine cap to my 28" Beretta A391 once that was 4 oz. heavier than the factory cap and it made quite a difference. I used it mainly when shooting Sporting Clays as it smoothed out the swing some and took it off for hunting.

Last edited:
I believe the original barrel alteration was 2" not 4"...

I looked at weights for 3/4" pipe with similar wall thickness - this info avail. on line, at several sites. Weight for 2" alteration was just a guess; perhaps others have a more accurate number?

Barrel cutdown

To be honest, I think it’s pretty much in my head. The barrel just looks too long for the gun, especially with the Trulock Skeet 2 extended choke tube I have in it. When I throw the thing up I don’t perceive balance or sight plane. I shoot quick and it is more of a reflex, than a controlled follow through situation. I compensate for “peeking”and shooting to point, instead of swinging through smoothly and pulling the trigger, by shooting quick. Shooting a shotgun, IMO, is like swinging a golf club. They can both really mess with your head. Folks create habits in both sports to compensate for poor form and lack of discipline. My A5, in it’s current form, just doesn’t seem to feel right, while my BUL in 26” feels like it’s part of my arm. If I end up shooting the A5 more proficiently, it will be because of confidence more than anything else. Hopefully, there’s a shrink or two on the forum that can relate. Lol

Mark, I don't think it's in your head. My new A5 Sweet has a 26" barrel and that seems long to me. I can't even imagine what a 28" must be like. Like I said in another thread on this forum, my new Sweet with a 26" barrel is over 2" longer than my 1960 Sweet with the same length barrel. The extra length is all in the receiver. I've suggested to Browning that they come out with a 24" barrel for these new A5's in both 16 ga. and 12 ga. Even with a 24" barrel the sight plane is still plenty long due to the length of the receiver. I'm still adjusting to my new Sweet due to the light weight and longer gun.

A5

Mark, I don't think it's in your head. My new A5 Sweet has a 26" barrel and that seems long to me. I can't even imagine what a 28" must be like. Like I said in another thread on this forum, my new Sweet with a 26" barrel is over 2" longer than my 1960 Sweet with the same length barrel. The extra length is all in the receiver. I've suggested to Browning that they come out with a 24" barrel for these new A5's in both 16 ga. and 12 ga. Even with a 24" barrel the sight plane is still plenty long due to the length of the receiver. I'm still adjusting to my new Sweet due to the light weight and longer gun.

Mike Orlen is so reasonable that I could conceivably have it cut down again, if necessary. It will be very close to my BUL now, and I’ll get rid of the extended choke. My Cynergy 20ga overall length is 45” and my other two are very close to 47”. Yup, the lightness really takes some getting used to, and I bought it right before I headed out to SD, so I had no time to get used to it. If they sold a 24” barrel for the A5, it would have been perfect with the tube I have. When you get older you gotta make some choices about how you want to miss. You can either tote that 7 3/4 lb gun all day and be so fatigued in the afternoon that you can barely get it to your shoulder, or you can carry the 6 pounder all day and not pull it through and shoot behind all day. I prefer the 6lb’er because I’m not constantly reminded that I’m on the decline. The young guys say a pound either way makes no difference. After carrying both, it makes a huge difference by 3pm for me. You would not believe how cold it is here. Another foot of snow coming tonight, with brutal temps behind it. Dog wants to ice fish, but we are stuck inside. Went from basically no winter until the middle of January, to being in the deep freeze.

I called Briley about a month ago and inquired about cutting the barrel - I had a quote over the phone. Can't recall the number, but they were willing to alter the barrel (Bng. 12 ga. Stalker). Decided to sell the gun rather than make the cut.

Local gunsmith refused to make the cut and referred me to Briley...

Good luck!

Mark: You may recall I researched this last fall - attempting to cut the barrel on my 12 ga "stalker." Apparently the issue is - developing new chokes for the gun, due to the barrel alteration; standard chokes won't work post cut. Perhaps in time, someone will develop a method for cutting these barrels...or Browning offering a 24" pipe.

Good luck with your sale.

If you read back a few posts you will see that he did send the gun to Mike Orlen. However, I believe once Mike received the barrel he determined he couldn't do the job. I'm sure Mark will explain this more.

SORRY...I did do a quick look back at prior posts, but 66 year old, tri-focalled eyes missed it.

Here we go.

If you read back a few posts you will see that he did send the gun to Mike Orlen. However, I believe once Mike received the barrel he determined he couldn't do the job. I'm sure Mark will explain this more.

Been so busy plowing and chipping ice I have been slow to update. Two storms with a major thaw and freeze up in-between. The whole place is like an ice skating rink. Mike Orlen was unable to modify the barrel on my A5 because the tolerances were too thin to accommodate the tru choke that he would have installed. Briley was able to do the complete job for me at a cost of about $400 plus shipping, and install a thin wall choke. I contacted Browning about replacement barrels in shorter lengths, and they said they had no plans in the making to offer those. When you are 62 and someone says no plans to offer, that has a different meaning. Not sure how much pressure it would take to get them to take a hacksaw to some of their 28” barrel back stock and turn out some 24inchers. Anyway, I sold the gun to a fellow down south, and she was like new. I was unwilling to spend another $400 on it. Maybe if we keep after Browning they will come around. I could see buying it in 26”. If you hit it during a sale, and a Browning rebate, you can get them at a pretty good price. I very much enjoyed carrying and shooting it in SD last season. It came up fast and furious, but the length bothered me.

Been so busy plowing and chipping ice I have been slow to update. Two storms with a major thaw and freeze up in-between. The whole place is like an ice skating rink. Mike Orlen was unable to modify the barrel on my A5 because the tolerances were too thin to accommodate the tru choke that he would have installed. Briley was able to do the complete job for me at a cost of about $400 plus shipping, and install a thin wall choke. I contacted Browning about replacement barrels in shorter lengths, and they said they had no plans in the making to offer those. When you are 62 and someone says no plans to offer, that has a different meaning. Not sure how much pressure it would take to get them to take a hacksaw to some of their 28” barrel back stock and turn out some 24inchers. Anyway, I sold the gun to a fellow down south, and she was like new. I was unwilling to spend another $400 on it. Maybe if we keep after Browning they will come around. I could see buying it in 26”. If you hit it during a sale, and a Browning rebate, you can get them at a pretty good price. I very much enjoyed carrying and shooting it in SD last season. It came up fast and furious, but the length bothered me.
Thanks for the update, Mark. Would assume there are other shooters that experience the longer gun and would buy another barrel, if it were offered. Spending $400 plus $90? (shipping) to have it altered is a bit much!

Back