Barrel cut down

mgorvi

I’m gonna send the barrel of my new Sweet 16 to Briley to cut it down. I bought the 28” and have a Trulock extended skeet 2 choke in it. It looks and feels like the the guns on the battleship Missouri. The action on this gun is really long. What am I talking for cost; $150, $250? I have no idea. I bought the long version cuz I thought she’d swing through a little smoother for me, but it’s looks like Elvira Gultch’s broomstick on the Wizard of Oz. Just wondering how much it’s gonna set me back. Thanks.

its much, much cheaper and much, much faster to send them to Mike Orlen. He's a shotgun barrel guru and he is crazy fast at getting the work done.

Thanks for contact

its much, much cheaper and much, much faster to send them to Mike Orlen. He's a shotgun barrel guru and he is crazy fast at getting the work done.

Thanks for the heads up. I will contact him and make arrangements. Seems like the guy to go with, from what I read.

I called Briley about a month ago and inquired about cutting the barrel - I had a quote over the phone. Can't recall the number, but they were willing to alter the barrel (Bng. 12 ga. Stalker). Decided to sell the gun rather than make the cut.

Local gunsmith refused to make the cut and referred me to Briley...

Good luck!

Mark, how short are you going to go? If it were me I would consider going to 24". That would make it about the same length as a 26" old Sweet and you would still have a long enough sighting plane.

Are you on the 16ga.com forum? Look under "Guns" for a thread called "New Sweet 16, Short Version". This guy had Briley cut his 28" barrel down. He didn't state the cost so I posted and asked him. I'll let you know what he says.

I will go to 24". With the Trulock tube it will be perfect for me. I screwed up when I bought it. I had no idea the receiver was so long on those guns. I dropped a couple with it when we were out a couple weeks ago and I think it will serve me well as I shoot it more. I hope when they do the work it still looks decent and not like an eighth grader with a hacksaw did it.

The forend on my Bng." Stalker" 12 ga. is about 40% longer than my A5 Light, hence the gun is 3" longer. Too long!

Good luck with your proposed alteration.

You can submit ideas to Browning via an email. So I emailed them about the overall length of the new A5's compared to the older Belgium made Sweets. I suggested that they offer a 24" barrel on the new A5's and also make 24" barrels available to those of us that would like to replace the barrel on our new Sweets. Not sure how far it will get but at least I tried. :)

Did you find out the cost? I’m thinking that if the work can be done, you could go with just about any length you’d like, once it’s past the current choke allowance. 24-1/2, 25, whatever. I would likely second guess myself after making the change.

Did you find out the cost? I’m thinking that if the work can be done, you could go with just about any length you’d like, once it’s past the current choke allowance. 24-1/2, 25, whatever. I would likely second guess myself after making the change.

$150 including 1 truchoke thin wall choke.

When I sought a gunsmith to cut my Browning Stalker barrel, I visited Ahlman's, Morristown, Mn.

A gunsmith was going to perform the work, but backed out due to the barrel configuration. He said Briley would be his choice for the work; he said Truchokes won't work. Apparently new chokes need to be developed and installed.

Just thought you might like to know my experience. Wonder if this situation applies to the new 16 Sweet? Would assume the barrels are the same...

Briley was well above $150, but could do the cut and chokes...

Last edited:
We just need Browning to offer the Sweet with a 23-24 inch barrel and straight grip stock. Probably be about 5 1/2 lbs and a dream to carry.

We just need Browning to offer the Sweet with a 23-24 inch barrel and straight grip stock. Probably be about 5 1/2 lbs and a dream to carry.

Read my post that is a few back. I sent Browning the suggestion that they offer the Sweet in a 24" barrel and also make 24" barrels available to those of us that would like a shorter barrel on our existing Sweets. Maybe if we get enough people requesting 24" barrels they will actually do it. So all of you that would like a shorter barrel please go on Brownings web site and send them that suggestion.

Go to www.browning.com and scroll over "Support" at the top of the page. You will get a drop down. Down the list is "Send Us Your Ideas". Click on that link and you will have the instructions for submitting your ideas.

I’m all in on Browning offering replacement 24” barrels for the new Sweet 16’s. I bought a new Sweet 16 a few weeks back and the only barrel length I could find was a 28”. It shoots great, but I like a shorter barrel when quail hunting.

I’m also going to message Browning and give them my input.

$150 including 1 truchoke thin wall choke.

Had them install the thin wall(titanium I believe) in my Arieta double’s a few years back—very pleased with their work-
Using them you would also have a choice of more/various chocks—JMO

I’m gonna send the barrel of my new Sweet 16 to Briley to cut it down. I bought the 28” and have a Trulock extended skeet 2 choke in it. It looks and feels like the the guns on the battleship Missouri. The action on this gun is really long. What am I talking for cost; $150, $250? I have no idea. I bought the long version cuz I thought she’d swing through a little smoother for me, but it’s looks like Elvira Gultch’s broomstick on the Wizard of Oz. Just wondering how much it’s gonna set me back. Thanks.

Mgorvi: Wondering how the barrel cut worked out? Can you update us?

Thanks.

Barrel chop

Mgorvi: Wondering how the barrel cut worked out? Can you update us?

Thanks.[/QUOTE

After listening to some of the guys here I mailed it to Mike Orlen yesterday. I spoke with him, and someone at Briley and I’m sure either one would have done a very good job. No question that Mr. Orlen was less expensive. I decided to have it cut back to the next rib post, which will be just over two inches less. I am trying to get the length to match up with the Benelli Ultralight that I just bought, at 47 1/4 inches. I’m still not sure what kind of choke I will end up with. I think it depends on the tooling he has. I use Trulocks in my A5 and my Cynergy 20ga., but we will see what he is able to do with that. Anyway, I hope I’m on the right track. The 26” A5s were harder to find, and I got a good deal on the 28” from Reed’s, so I went with the 28”. I didn’t realize how long the receivers are when I bought it. I didn’t do my homework, and now I have to pay. As I age, I have developed a preference for light guns, and I tend to shoot quickly. Most likely because beyond 40 yards I completely suck. Man’s gotta know his limitations.

Back