Barbed Wire

peterpointinglab

:mad::mad: Over the past 3 hunting seasons my dog has been to the vet 3x for barbed wire incidents. Im afraid he will lose an eye next time. What can i do if anything:confused: to keep him fence aware?

It takes them a while to learn about fences. Some seem to learn faster than others.

I bought a stapler, the cuts are not hard to staple closed.
Its cheeper than trips to the vet on the reasonable sized cuts.

Last edited:
What FCSpringer said. I vest mine anytime I think I'm gonna be around wire, corn stubble, or anything else that might put a cut or a hole in her.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones

I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of land, both that I own and around me. Anyway, it's all mostly fenced, so every dog I have ever had learns wire at an early age. I have slick wire on the bottom of my fencing but neighbors have barbed. The slick wire is good for horses as your bottom wire but more importantly it's a safe way for dogs to get fence wise.

They will lean how to go under eventually.

:mad::mad: Over the past 3 hunting seasons my dog has been to the vet 3x for barbed wire incidents. Im afraid he will lose an eye next time. What can i do if anything:confused: to keep him fence aware?

Its seldom that a hunting dog will get cut from a good fence.. Its usually the random strand of wire, or fence post that does the damage..

Each of my wirehairs encountered fences at speed. The wiser, Button, didn't suffer too much, but once cut the pad of a paw horrifically from a strand, or some old farm machinery in the ground. It was then I learned that dogs don't get tetanus and she didn't need a special shot. (As an aside, the Vet wanted to knock her out for the stitching. I told him Novocaine was fine and I'd hold her. He was skeptical, but went ahead. She was fine. He said he'd mostly had farm dogs around and he wouldn't take the chance of them being conscious when he stitched. )

The less-wise, Young Bert, the not-right dog, ripped his chest open twice. Each time was the late Saturday on a Monday holiday week-end. I clipped, then shaved the site, washed it with soapy, warm water, and finally spilled some hydrogen peroxide on the deep gashes. When I got a Vet, she said that since it was a few days past, and since the cuts healed from the inside-out anyway, she'd just as soon leave them alone.

She also said I should use alcohol instead of Hydrogen Peroxide.

Mick, the Springer, isn't as single-minded in his pursuits to date.

But, as a general rule, I'd follow Ken's advice.

my dogs have cut both ears and beleive it or not my wirehair cut her tongue on a early hunt for huns.....both bleed like a SOB

Good topic for the aid kit too. Mine has it all, stapler, that costic powder stuf or stop bleed. EMT gell, vet wrap, rymidyl and all sorts of stuf. Even shots for over heat. Comes in handy. Metronydozole for giradia or the craps from bad water etc. u name it its in there. Not sure how to spell it all though,LOL

Last edited:
Yep. Lactate ringer I think it is. You give a big A$$ shot just like a normal shot under the skin on the neck. Creates a balloon. If it goes away right away you do another. Saves lives. It saved a couple trial dogs this fall. Plus multi dextrin liquid.

My dogs grow up around fences. We have electric fences to, all it takes is one shock, they remember. That helps with all wire, cant tell electric from non. So my dogs are caucus around fences.
Wire laying around or partly buried is another story.:(

One dog, one time is all I have had to experience with barb wire fences. This dog learned her lesson after the first time.

The cut was very deep, but the dog really felt no pain and wanted to keep hunting.

Rural vet had me flush out the wound and staple my own dog and then gave me the staple gun for future use. Never had to use it again.

After my labs first chest tear from a fence, I got her a vest. It's amazing how many tears that vest has after 3 seasons...just replaced it this week. I ran her once without the vest at a buddy's ranch. Sure enough, caught her front nipple on a barb and tore it open exposing the mammary gland $980 bill. I have insurance on her, so the damage wasn't so bad. I highly recommend insurance, we train and test all year long, plus the hunting. The $360 I pay for insurance annually has paid for itself each year...easily!

My first dog was a hard charger who ran into barb wire sometimes. If you see a collision coming, "whoa" the dog up if you can and show it the wire.

Good topic for the aid kit too. Mine has it all, stapler, that costic powder stuf or stop bleed. EMT gell, vet wrap, rymidyl and all sorts of stuf. Even shots for over heat. Comes in handy. Metronydozole for giradia or the craps from bad water etc. u name it its in there. Not sure how to spell it all though,LOL

Do you use "fish" metronidizal or do you get the prescription stuff from your vet?

Morgan cut her leg pretty good a couple of years ago on wire chasing quail. I doctored it myself and almost got it healed but she kept tearing the bandages off and licking it at night when I couldn't stop her. It got infected and I had to give in to the vet. I've got a better kit now.
Now she runs up to the fences and waits until I lift the lowest strand to let her through. I wish I learned painful lessons as fast. Doesn't help with sharp things out in the field you can't see.

wire cuts

i am amazed at the post on wire cuts on your bird dogs. lucky, maybe i am. i have run either shorthairs or labs for about 40 years and yet to have your problems. most hunts they will come back with a wire scratch but that's all., got a cut pad once but not from wire, vet, a friend of mine said is i stitch it up it will take 2 weeks to heal, if i don't do anything it will take two weeks to heal. lesson? just maybe. the other answer is maybe: quit buying dumb dogs, just kidding

Back