Banded BWT

pheasantaddict

I got out for an hour of duck hunting today. It wasn't prime time, from 10:30 til 11:00. There was only one other group of hunters on the marsh. I didn't see any ducks after 20 min. and the other group was leaving. I walked around the marsh with Roo ( black lab). He found a blue winged teal in the area where the other guys had been hunting and the teal was banded. I hurried to the road where the guys were loading up and asked if they had hit a teal and not recovered it. They said yes. I said its your lucky day as one of the guys approached me and said it was banded. He said yeah, took the bird and said hey its banded. Then he gave it to the guy who shot it and said its banded. He said yeah, took the bird and upon examination said hey its banded. Go figure.

Very, very good sportsmanship on your part. You deserve a pat on the back. I believe a large majority of folks these days would have never said a word and claimed it as theirs. Kudos to you Sir..NICE JOB!

Very, very good sportsmanship on your part. You deserve a pat on the back. I believe a large majority of folks these days would have never said a word and claimed it as theirs. Kudos to you Sir..NICE JOB!

I think you're right. Sometimes being a decent person is a thankless venture.

I think you're right. Sometimes being a decent person is a thankless venture.

+2 Sir that was a very decent thing to do. I hope they at least thanked you. It would be nice for them to find out the band info and share it with you.:thumbsup::10sign::cheers:

Well would you look at that, its banded! Lol. Good job sir.:cheers:

Nice work PA. Wish I could say the guys we were duck hunting by saturday morning were those kind of guys. :thumbsup::cheers:

Thank you for keeping up the esteem and lessening the stereotypes of many hunters these days.

What do you mean by banded? Thanks I'm just Realy new to the hunting scene thanks

Banded means that the bird has been captured by Fed or state game officials and a metal band attached to/around a leg. Sometimes neck bands are used also. The officials want hunters to contact them and provide info about where, when, ect. the bird was harveated. This info is used for tracking and other uses. The officials then send a certificate with where it was banded and when. It's not to uncommon to have birds 10 years old or more and 1000's of miles away from where they were banded.

Last edited:
Good job addict...but let's not forget the real hero...Boo :)

Back