Bad News Knee - Now the Good News!

I had meniscus surgery along with carpal tunnel at the same time. Seems I was out for about 2 weeks, more from the hand surgery than the knee. But I worked construction and needed the stitches in the hand to heal completely which was what took the longest. If you work at a desk you could probably be back at work in a week. Riding a bike within a month. With my total knee replacement I was back at work part time at 6 weeks.

Ibills, Just curious what the doc has told you the expected recovery time is before resuming normal activities? My mri showed a torn meniscus as well so I’m looking at roughly the same thing you went through. Couldn’t get into the ortho doc I wanted until the 26th so I’ve still got a couple weeks to wait.
I go back to the doctor tomorrow, Tuesday May 16, for the one week follow up/post surgical appointment. I’ll report back tomorrow evening and let you know what he says.

I went back to my doctor today and he removed the bandage from the arthroscopic surgery. They told me to keep using one crutch for a couple of days, just for balance. They did not assign me to rehab/physical therapy, but instead gave me some exercises to do at home (hallelujah). The knee feels really good and only has a little bit of swelling, which they said was from "overdoing" things recently (I'm guilty). Anyway, it was a good report and it looks like I'm on my way to being back to normal.

I'll reiterate what I had said previously in this thread, don't put your surgery off. Get it done, get it well, and then go on with your life.

Yup, and be careful afterwards. The most common problems post-surgery is pushing it or falling. Before this hip surgery, some people told me that they didn't use a walker. I decided as long as I was on pain meds I was staying on it for fear of losing my balance and going down. I got off the meds on day 4. Off the walker day 6. Today is day 7. Feels good. Tomorrow I'm going for a quarter mile carrying the cane just in case. I'm not pushing it, just a solid regime of exercise and rest. Do your exercises, eat wright, rest. If your grey, eat your pride. We aint bullet proof kids anymore!!

Yup, and be careful afterwards. The most common problems post-surgery is pushing it or falling. Before this hip surgery, some people told me that they didn't use a walker. I decided as long as I was on pain meds I was staying on it for fear of losing my balance and going down. I got off the meds on day 4. Off the walker day 6. Today is day 7. Feels good. Tomorrow I'm going for a quarter mile carrying the cane just in case. I'm not pushing it, just a solid regime of exercise and rest. Do your exercises, eat wright, rest. If your grey, eat your pride. We aint bullet proof kids anymore!!
Glad to hear you are doing well.

Not to totally hijack britchasers thread but my appointment with the ortho didn’t go well. When they called with the MRI results they said torn meniscus. What they failed to say was that the report also said there was a total absence of cartilage. Orthopedic doesn’t recommend surgery due to the likely result being no better off than I am now. He wants to treat with cortisone shots and not be as active. I took the shot and told him the other wasn’t an option as all of the things I really enjoy involve being active. Thinking about getting a second opinion but the guy I went to is highly recommended and very experienced so idk.
Has anyone had experience with going the cortisone route? Also I have heard about a cartilage replacement surgery. Anyone with experience with that?
Brit, how is your knee experience going? And sorry for hijacking your thread.

Not to totally hijack britchasers thread but my appointment with the ortho didn’t go well. When they called with the MRI results they said torn meniscus. What they failed to say was that the report also said there was a total absence of cartilage. Orthopedic doesn’t recommend surgery due to the likely result being no better off than I am now. He wants to treat with cortisone shots and not be as active. I took the shot and told him the other wasn’t an option as all of the things I really enjoy involve being active. Thinking about getting a second opinion but the guy I went to is highly recommended and very experienced so idk.
Has anyone had experience with going the cortisone route? Also I have heard about a cartilage replacement surgery. Anyone with experience with that?
Went the meniscus surgery route on the right knee Not a good experience for me. Never got any better- cured it with knee replacement a year later and was going strong 6 months later when hunting season started. Left knee 9 years later- cortisone helped for a short time and got me thru bird season then replaced in time for hunting season
1st knee 13 years ago and 2nd 4 years ago and going strong
IMO replacement is a cure while other treatments are just a bandage

I have the cortisone shots 2 or 3 times a year, they make you feel good for a month or two. Cortisone shots become less effective as time goes on. I have had some kind lubricant made with chicken cartilage, I feel no benefit from it. I'm going to get the knee replace in March next year.

I have a friend who is a retired construction company worker/owner his whole life. So pretty rough on knees and body in general. Typical old hard head like us. Did numerous cortisone shots and everything else he could to not to get a new knee. Long story short. He's now on his second knee with a hip throwed in also. Says biggest mistake he ever made was putting the 1st one off. No it didn't make him a young man again, but he's not in pain and does better than most his age. He's around 76.

My 2 cents. The cortisone shots didn't do anything for me. They help temporarily for some people, but only for a while. Knee replacement is what worked for me better than all the other BS I tried because I didn't want to go the replacement route. Once I got the knee replaced the only thought I had was why was I such an idiot and wait so long. I lost over a year of my life because I was a knucklehead and didn't want surgery.

My 2 cents. The cortisone shots didn't do anything for me. They help temporarily for some people, but only for a while. Knee replacement is what worked for me better than all the other BS I tried because I didn't want to go the replacement route. Once I got the knee replaced the only thought I had was why was I such an idiot and wait so long. I lost over a year of my life because I was a knucklehead and didn't want surgery.
When you get the replacement go to a physical therapist and put the work in to get it rehabbed and follow your doctors orders
Guys I know that had problems thought they knew more than the doctor and didn’t follow the advise

Bird hunt with 2 buddies that have 3 replacement knees between them. Both would agree it was the best move they ever made. 6 months was the "back to action and golfing" mark for both. Hell, one laid in the back seat of a pickup for 8 hours to post up for roosters.

Last edited:
I have had 6 arthroscopic surgeries on my right knee prior to my Replacement in Dec 2021. I was up moving and resuming most activities within in a few days.

Blew my knee out last year at age 58, over weight and out of shape. I nursed it for a yr before having the artho surgery and wish I'd have had it done immediately after the initial injury. Its been 6 months now since the operation and I wear the compression sleeve everyday, all day and other than lots of snap, crackly and popping, the knee is great. I do think I'm destined to remain a blocker in my hunting party however!

After you blow a knee out, you never look at a ditch the same. You go from thinking I can hop over that easy, to where can I crawl down that ditch the easiest.

Such scenarios are already floating in my head. One field requires a short, steep climb up to the CRP from the road. May throw an aluminum stepladder in the rig for that this fall.

A lot of the recovery and then going forward depends on your age and physical condition. I had my left knee scoped at age 45 and my right knee scoped at age 55. Both meniscus tears. I'm now 76 and never had a knee problem since.

Back