Auto shotgun question.

bobeyerite

I shoot a 20 gauge in the field. I am thinking of going to a 11-87 Remington Auto.for some of my field shooting. My question is; If I am shooting a 1220 Feet Per Second 1 ounce of 6 shot at a Rooster. How many FPS and Foot Pounds of Energy are lost to the gas operation of the shotgun? Out of a point by Tony a Rooster is normally shot by me at about 20-25 yards, Modified Choke. I do know all guns do lose some in the course of clearing the gun. It is just which lose the more than others. I have read SxS and O/U's are the best for keeping your energy and speed up.---Bob

Bob, here is a post I found on the internet about velocity and gas operated shotguns. I would tend to agree, the loss of velocity would be minimal and that the difference between shells would probably be more.

I have to disagree with NoChoke regarding energy loss while using a semi-auto as I have fired a number of loads across a chronograph and found no appreciable loss in velocity even when using a a gas operated semi-auto such as a Remington 1100, 11-87, a Beretta 390, 391, a Winchester Super X, a 1400, SX II, nor a Smith & Wesson 1000 Super. The 1201FP, being a recoil operated gun, should have even less of an immeasureable difference as it does not use any gas to work the system based on the Benelli SBE and Browning A-5s I've also run over a screen. In a gas operated gun the gas is bled out of the barrel far enough into the burning process that the minute amount used does not impact the ballistics in any measureable amount. There was a greater difference in performance from shell to shell than between autos and pumps as a whole and my limited findings have been bourne out by much greater tests by ammunition companies, gun manufacturers, aftermarket barrel makers, and most recently, the U.S. military, particularly the Marines, in their search for a new combat shotgun.

bobeyerite,
I just happen to have one for sale...Like new with box and papers. Remington 11-87 Upland Special 20 gauge: 23" barrel. Mint condition. I have the factory chokes and 3 extended/ported chokes as well. Asking $750 + Ship. Let me know if your interested. Of course if you want to know why I'm selling...check out the Sport II vs. Ultralight blog on this site. I just can't shoot the 11-87. It's me, not the gun.

Back when I was doing a lot of reloading , my wife was shooting a Remington 1100 and I was shooting an O/U. I put many loads through a chronograph and never saw any difference in velocity between the two guns shooting the same loads.

JMC, I have an 11-87 I have had one for years. I would not own a gun with that short a barrel. I am a 28 inch barrel man. If it is not 28 inches or more, I pass. Thank you. ---Bob

Yes I now agree, therefore the reason for selling. As you have seen, I'm going with a Benelli...and have finally decided on the Sport II with a 28" barrel. I realize this is a pheasant forum; so tell all your quail buddies to buy my gun :D.

JMc & Bobeyerite

You are very confused children. The 11/87 Special Field is a great shotgun. The best ever made. :rolleyes: I am tempted to buy it just to have a spare. I had a O/U and could not hit a thing with it. I am sure it was the guns fault not mine. I will take the 23in 20ga any day. By the way anyone want a NIB Benelli M2 12ga that I traded my O/U for?

Moellermd, I say that is what make the worlds go round. We all have our preferences. You have yours and I have mine. That is why they make so many different models. Something for everybody.---Bob

Back